• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo GameCube (2001) Discussion

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

• Along side the NES and the Nintendo 64, the Nintendo GameCube was such a fun system for me to play when i was growing up. Thus, the basic point of this thread is to allow us all to talk specifically about the Nintendo GameCube, and what we can remember, like, or dislike all about it! In case you don't know about the Nintendo Cube, I'll give you a brief lowdown:

The Nintendo GameCube was released in Japan on September 14, 2001, in North America on November 18, 2001, in Europe on May 3, 2002, and Australia on May 17, 2002. It was discontinued around 2007. It was developed as the successor to the Nintendo 64 for a sixth-generation console. In conclusion, it was one of the most talked about consoles ever with some of the most highly-rated games that were ever made!

So, again, of course, you can talk about all of your experiences with the Nintendo GameCube here. These are just questions to bounce some ideas: What do you think about the GameCube? What games did you have for the GameCube, and which ones were your favourite/least favourite? What were some of your memories for the GameCube? Do you still own the Nintendo 64 today? How do you think the GameCube compares with Nintendo's later systems like the Nintendo Wii, and the Nintendo Wii U? Did you think that the GameCube was a good success for for Nintendo's previous gaming consoles?

Do you have other thoughts you would like to share about the GameCube?

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
    Years
  • Oh, when I think of the GameCube, I have the fondest memories of playing that console, and playing
    Playing Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Pokémon Colosseum, and way too much more to write down. Now, I think it was a good successor to the Nintendo 64, but it always think that Nintendo should have added more to it. Like, they stopped making the Donkey Kong & Banjo Kazooie series, only to see them shown up years later, way more worse than they used to be (referring to Banjo, not Donkey Kong.)

My favourite game for the GameCube was Animal Crossing, hands down. I cannot believe how many hours I have poured into this game, but I just loved it. What I liked most about it was the fact that it was a game that changed everyday, like it was never the same each time you popped the game in. Another fact would be that it was a game that had no objective or goal to it except just... playing it.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Like, they stopped making the Donkey Kong & Banjo Kazooie series, only to see them shown up years later, way more worse than they used to be (referring to Banjo, not Donkey Kong.)
    Thank god because Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was better than every Rare DK games bar DKC2, which is the only great DK Rare game. I'm assuming by "they" you mean Rare.

The Gamecube was by far my favorite console last gen. I mean, this console has Super Smash Bros Melee, one of the best and most genius fighters, F-Zero GX, the best and most hardcore arcade racer and DK Jungle Beat, the best use of innovation in a platformer and basically the foundation of the Wii. Just by the virtue of having these three magnificent games exclusive to it, it's a winner to me. It helps the library was still full of others good games as well, including Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Wario World, Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Super Monkey Ball, Kirby's Air Ride, Chibi-Robo, Mario Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Battalion Wars, Baten Kaitos, Pikmin, etc. I also heard Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 are contenders for the "game of the forever" title, but I don't know because I haven't played them...yet. ;)

Honestly though, love this system and it's library. Still play it to this day.

Last edited:

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i never really got into gamecube or have one. i play some of the games though on my wii such as pokemon Colosseum.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Oh, when I think of the GameCube, I have the fondest memories of playing that console, and playing
    Playing Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Pokémon Colosseum, and way too much more to write down. Now, I think it was a good successor to the Nintendo 64, but it always think that Nintendo should have added more to it. Like, they stopped making the Donkey Kong & Banjo Kazooie series, only to see them shown up years later, way more worse than they used to be (referring to Banjo, not Donkey Kong.)
    Rare owns Banjo, nothing Nintendo could do once Microsoft bought them.

After Rare's departure, Nintendo launched a DK review and rebranding to distance the franchise from Rare's work (surprising, given the DKC love lately). Mixed results. But Jungle Beat is fantastic

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It was when I moved to PC since pretty much all of the good games were first party. Didn't want to suffer anymore missing out on good stuff like I did during the N64 days. Instead, I ended up missing out on Nintendo's good stuff. But to me, it wasn't justified to buy a console that was the worst of its generation except for Nintendo games.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well sweeties, I have plenty of great memories with the Gamecube. From wondering when we're getting "Super Mario 128" to having every night be Melee night.

My brother and I got the Gamecube around the launch window. The only game we could afford at the time was Super Smash Bros Melee, we then got Luigi's Mansion soon after. The first thing that blew me away was the graphics; it was a huge jump from the N64. Seeing the very denim on Mario's overalls was amazing!

I have all of Nintendo's first party games available in the US. The GCN was the first time I actually got to play Sonic games: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. (Yeah, I know so much of a Nintendo fan that I didn't touch that series till it got on Gamecube =p) Also like most people, I was introduced to the Tales series thanks to the GCN.

I can't say what's my favorite game on the GCN since they're so many good ones. The games that come to mind are SSBM, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, LoZ: The Windwaker, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil, Soul Calibur 2, Tales of Symphonia, DK: Jungle Beat, just to name a few.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Unfortunately I sold my GameCube so I could buy a 360, which was a bad trade... At least I can use my Wii. I really liked the GameCube. I had this small screen that could be attached to it so I could play games without a TV. My favorite GameCube moment was when I won the Mt. Battle challenge in XD and got a Cyndaquil. My least favorite was playing Luigi's Mansion because that game actually scared me way back when I was young. Now I enjoy playing it. Although, as much as I liked my GameCube, I like my Wii even more.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Did any of you get any of the GameCube accessories?

Like for me, I used to really love the Gameboy Advance player add-on~ It was a real treat to play Pokemon Emerald on the T.V screen. <3 I also had the link cable that links the GameCube with the Gameboy Advance, which was because I wanted to trade pokemon from Pokemon XD/Colosseum to my Pokemon Emerald~

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've had a lot of games for the GameCube. A lot. I'm not going to list them all, because that'd literally take forever. xD Out of all the games, my favorites to play were Mario Kart: Double Dash, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

As for accessories, I had the microphone, the GBA player, and the GBA link cable. That's about it. I've had the microphone for games like Mario Party and Karaoke Revolution, and the GBA player and link cable were there for Pokémon-related reasons only.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    The GameCube was probably one of my favorite consoles! When it was the newest device in the house, my brother was busy discovering the wonders of online games, so I had it mostly to myself, and I loved every game I played on it. I fell in love with everything about Colosseum, and that's only one of many. I deeply miss mine, as I sold it a while ago, and hope to possibly get one again someday. A great deal of my fondest memories came from sitting in front of the TV navigating around Super Mario Sunshine and challenging people online in Melee. Playing on this console always meant a good time!

I did own the GBA link cable iirc, and I remember getting Jirachi through my Colosseum game. Not much else though, and it didn't hamper my gaming experiences with it at all, haha.

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
    Years
  • Oh my god, the Gamecube. In my childhood I played an SNES and an N64 as well, but the Gamecube was the box that held my childhoog and is definitely one of my favorite consoles. The games were great and the graphics were amazing for its time... actually, a lot of them are even great by today's standards. I remember being young and playing me some Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sonic Adventure 2, and Super Mario Sunshine. Three great games I can't imagine a childhood without. And there are probably so many more great Gamecube titles I haven't played yet (such as DK: Jungle Beats and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance).

Overall, a great console, and it does give me shame when I see it hated.
    ... But then again, that event is rather rare, come to think...

Years
  • Gamecube was and is still a great console with a fantastic selection of games. This was my first ever main console, I had a ton of games but mainly played Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Harvest Moon, Luigis Mansion. I was so devastated when my Gamecube was stolen by horrible thieves :@

My brother now has a Gamecube with pretty much the same selection of games.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • What did you guys think of the GameCube game discs being so small?

I mean, compared to a normal CD, it's.. pretty small. XD Did that make things easier, or was it more convenient to use?

Last edited:

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    It didn't have a huge effect on me. As a big fan of the GameCube, there weren't to many elements to the console that I disliked. I don't think the size of the discs were a problem, but they weren't an asset either. I guess if you're thinking about it in a more detailed way, you could criticize the developers for the choice to make discs small because it would make them easier to lose. That can be easily averted if one remembers to place the disc back into the case after playing through it, but in any case, it does have its flaws. Those flaws didn't hamper the GameCube's playability and quality in any way, though, so I'm not complaining.

Years
  • What did you guys think of the GameCube game discs being so small?

I mean, compared to a normal CD, it's.. pretty small. XD Did that make things easier, or was it more convenient to use?

I thought it was really cool, but it wasn't really easier or more convenient. Just was different to all the other gaming discs.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Smaller CDs mean less area for me to scratch. The only problem with them being so small is that you can easily lose them if you're not careful. Why were they so small, anyways?

Years
  • Smaller CDs mean less area for me to scratch. The only problem with them being so small is that you can easily lose them if you're not careful. Why were they so small, anyways?

Nintendo thought they could live on video games alone, and that adding features like playing CDs and DVDs was unnecessary, therefore, they used 2.5 GB mini disks instead. Bad idea. That was one of many reasons the PS2 and the original Xbox MAULED the Gamecube.

Other reasons:
    Nintendo was still seen as a "child friendly company". Extremely popular games like GTA San Andreas that were violent and offensive were not ported to the 'Cube. And since San Andreas is one of the best selling games on the PS2 and Xbox... you get the point.

Lack of blockbuster third company games! I mean, we got Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash, Windwaker (Twilight Princess showed up a little too late i'm afraid); all were brilliant. But what else? Endless Mario Party games, Luigi's Mansion that not everybody liked (I did though) and a more or less failed Star Fox game. And don't forget the loss of RareWare, the creators of Donkey Kong and Banjo Kazooie. Without third company support, the sales were destined to fail.

You can also mention that backwards compatibility was not an alternative for the Gamecube. But we did get something good from the GBA adapter.

The Gamecube is not a bad console, both I'd rather pick the PS2 anyday.

Years
  • Super. Smash. Bros. Melee.

Unfortunately this was the only game I played for the Gamecube, in summer 2003 in Utah. Does that game justify the worth of Gamecube? Hell yes.

Back