• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo hacker has to pay "20-30" % of wages to company for life after being released from prison

Years
  • Full story: https://www.dexerto.com/tech/ninten...ife-after-being-released-from-prison-2117382/

Nintendo "hacker" Gary Bowser has been released from prison after 40 months, but must pay the company "25-30%" of his income for the rest of his life after operating hacking website Maxconsole.

This is just wrong to me. A multi billion dollar company garnishing wages from a guy who will likely struggle for the rest of his life because of this. You could say "well it's his fault" but Nintendo has some of the worst policies on their games, not to mention how they make things completely unobtainable (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for $300 on Amazon, anyone?)

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Prison for hacking I can understand but paying his income for rest of his life, thats messed up.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • This is absolutely wrong of Nintendo. Why does this person have to give up their salary for the rest of their life? I think that's just taking this too far.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Acts harsher towards real-life Bowser than video game Bowser. Bad news for Doug Bowser, in that case.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Evil piece of shit company acting like a pre-war zaibatsu without any blowback

Years
  • It's a display of power and that's it, because they know that they're going to just go uncontested.

Look at what happened with PointCrow recently (and some other YTers) as well - Nintendo first went for the more "relevant" content on his channel before then just striking against anything and everything there, to a point that his livelihood is at stake (i.e. it would be a case of him taking Nintendo to court I believe and then if that case is lost, he'll be hit so hard he can't recover). They're just reminding us time and time again that really people are just in its deathgrip and they can tighten that just about whenever they want to.

Terrifying to think about, really.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • 14.5 million dollars is an absolutely ridiculous sum of money, but it's not like this guy was innocent either. They didn't drag him through the mud because they felt like picking on a hobbyist emulating his favourite classics; he has a couple of pretty serious felonies to his name. Nevermind the fact that profiting off Nintendo's intellectual property is just asking for trouble, and he reportedly made millions for Xecuter in sales. That's why they slapped such a stupidly large fine on him.

Years
  • Nintendo wipes their ass with 14.5 million dollars. It seems like a lot to us but it isn't for a major corp. They're making this guy struggle to set an example, it's a scare tactic, in my opinion. Yes, what he did was wrong, but he served his time.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Don't care + L + Playing + Piracy is objectively moral + Nintendo actively works on destroying media history + Not carrying water for billion dollar corporations

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    They're making an example of him, sure…but they're making an example out of the wrong guy. The guy who actually pocketed millions is European, and (I believe France) are refusing to extradite him. Which I'm really glad about, the U.S. claimed diplomatic immunity when a women drove on the wrong side of the road in the UK and killed a kid, but they'd probably tear up NATO if it was the other way round.
    Also, weirdly - the 25% of his income is from a civil suit. There's ¢4.5mil from his criminal prosecution the he likely won't pay due to being Canadian, apparently. According to him, anyway.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    An interesting video I found about this whole mess:
    Link

As always: it's not as simple as it appear. <_<

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I took the time to watch that video out of curiosity, and though I'll NEVER shed a tear for a massive company like Nintendo,
    I find it disgusting that people who would 'claim' to be all about 'freedom' and 'revelution against big companies' and such, would also be just as bad, (and possibly worse) as the companies they claim to go against. It's like watching two antagonists go to war with each other to decide which of them is more evil.
    ****ing disgraceful.

Years
    • Seen today
    There's a lot going on with this particular story. On one hand, yeah, this guy sold modchips that allowed users to pirate games. Considering that many people bought these devices and the associated licenses to use them, there's going to be some revenue cut. However, how much Nintendo actually lost from the product is impossible to determine. He did fly a little too close to the sun though, promoting a product that allows you to pirate games, but you have to initially pay for it is very much putting a target on your back. Nintendo has fought against hardware manufacturers for years, even back in the DS days trying to keep DS flashcards at a minimum. But when one goes down, two pop back up so it's always a game of whack-a-mole trying to deal with these companies. Making money off of freely obtaining their products seems to be worse than just getting the products freely in the first place, and Nintendo has shown that here.

On the other hand, though, with the cost of things going up and up, I see why people resort to these kinds of things. A model of pay once, play all the time seems to be the most appealing, and having a device that lets you just copy all the games you could want is the ultimate solution. Thankfully, the product that was sold here has been superseded by free alternatives that are very easy to set up and require minimal tools to do. The Gateway 3DS card had the same fate, though it wasn't struck down by Nintendo, rather, all the free alternatives that came out just rendered those cards useless e-waste.

To me though, the valuation of $14.5 million is quite excessive, I don't think Nintendo's losses mounted to that much, even if you factor in the sales of all the devices that he sold in its lifetime, though if he's also responsible for the legal fees that might be a bulk of the cost. He'll certainly be paying that back for the rest of his life, it'll be a shadow from which he can't escape. I feel that Nintendo wanted a high valuation like this to set an example of what could happen to you if you try to pull this kind of stunt with their IP, as it'll be something that you will regret for the rest of your life.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Nintendo doesn't want you to have nice things; shut down site that preserved older games, terminate youtubers who just seemingly having fun with the game they love (They're not using your video game music man) that proven how tyrannical they are showing little mercy or remorse.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • They're making this guy struggle to set an example, it's a scare tactic, in my opinion.
    It doesn't seem to be very effective because there's still several different modchips available for Switch but they're chinese so Nintendo can't do anything.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Honestly if I was that guy I'd just set up a non-profit and start doing tours to colleges and universities on emulation and hacking. Set a sort of tip jar routing so that television chains who are willing to interview him are paying the ACLU or the EFF instead of paying him. That way, since it's not income, Nintendon't have anything to draw from him. It's not as if the suckers need the money anyway, IRL Bowser wipes his unethical ass with players money already. It's always ethical to pirate Nintendo products, as is teaching others how to do it.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Honestly if I was that guy I'd just set up a non-profit and start doing tours to colleges and universities on emulation and hacking. Set a sort of tip jar routing so that television chains who are willing to interview him are paying the ACLU or the EFF instead of paying him. That way, since it's not income, Nintendon't have anything to draw from him. It's not as if the suckers need the money anyway, IRL Bowser wipes his unethical ass with players money already. It's always ethical to pirate Nintendo products, as is teaching others how to do it.

i actually heard in a video recently gary bowser was one of the only team members in the hacking group that wasn't really involved in the actual production of the devices side. he does have a background in computer repair / tinkering / electronics n stuff but his role in this was mostly to be a PR person - and yet everyone else in the company hasn't been slapped like him. it seems like nintendo REALLY dont like a guy called bowser harming their image.

Years
  • i actually heard in a video recently gary bowser was one of the only team members in the hacking group that wasn't really involved in the actual production of the devices side. he does have a background in computer repair / tinkering / electronics n stuff but his role in this was mostly to be a PR person - and yet everyone else in the company hasn't been slapped like him. it seems like nintendo REALLY dont like a guy called bowser harming their image.
    while i'm not trying to defend nintendo by any means, i do want to point out that the president of nintendo of america is doug bowser
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Bowser

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • while i'm not trying to defend nintendo by any means, i do want to point out that the president of nintendo of america is doug bowser
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Bowser

So that explains it! They got the wrong Bowser.

It will all fix itself eventually once Nintendo sees they are wrong and apologize, I'm sure.

(sarcasm, just in case that was somehow not clear)

Back