• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No legends Team X

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
  • I'm going to start battling my cousin on Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire &
    we have only one rule so far:

No legendaries.

& we both understand EV training, so I'm going to EV train my pokemon.
    Speaking of which, here's what I have in mind so far:
    Up-dated 1 time(s) so far

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 252 Sp.A & Spd/6 HP
    Moves:
    ~Sticky Web
    ~Thunder
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Energy Ball

Notes:
    Galvantula is mainly to provide Sticky Web support for it's teammates & to do damage whenever it can.
    I have thought of going with a Modest nature for more power since Sticky Web will slow things down, but thought
    that would be risky, as even without legendaries, there are still a lot of very fast pokemon & Sticky Web, IIRC,
    won't affect Flying-types or those with Levitate.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: ???
    EVs:
    Moves:
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Baton Pass
    ~Hydro Pump
    ~Ice Beam/Substitute

Notes:
    This is rather obivious:
    Use Shell Smash then Baton Pass it to a sweeper (specifically, Charizard) unless it can take the opponent by itself,
    in that case, I'd do so. Gorebyss might have a better chance of taking things out if Galvantula has already set up Sticky Web.
    Also, I think Galvantula can do a LOT more with a passed Shell Smash, but I'd try to keep that for Charizard...
    I left the EVs blank, as I'm not sure would work best... Also, not sure of what ability I'd use or if I'll even be able to make use
    of them... (leaning towards Swift Swim, though.)

Charizard @ Charizardite X
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk & Spd/6 Def
    Moves:
    ~Dragon Dance
    ~Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
    ~Dragon Claw
    ~Roost

Notes:
    If things goes to plan, Gorebyss will pass Shell Smash to Charizard when a pokemon is out that doesn't treaten it,
    then as that pokemon switches out, use Dragon Dance & mega evolve so Mega Charizard X will have +3 attack & speed.
    Since legendaries are forbidden, I don't need to worry about Heatran, so I can use Roost to keep Mega Charizard X healthy & keep
    it's sweep going. I'm leaning towards using Fire Punch, as +3 attack (if I pull it off) & Tough Claws will make it hit hard & I won't
    need to use Roost as often.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
    Naure: Adamant
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
    Moves:
    ~Belly Drum
    ~Aqua Jet
    ~Play Rough
    ~Knock Off

Notes:
    My Mega Blaziken check/counter, as that's one of my cousin's favorite megas.
    Went for the Belly Drum set so I can save the SmashPass for Charizard.

Other notes:
    I'm sure I should have a fog/spin blocker & also a Stealth Rock user at least...
    Maybe a Defog or Rapid Spin user of my own... not sure if my cousin will use entry hazards, but it won't hurt to be ready.
    & is there any other serious threats I should keep an eye out for?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As an FYI, Blaziken uses Knock Off over Night Slash or Shadow Claw, as the former has excellent utility in removing items; also don't forget that Blaziken also sometimes uses Stone Edge for Fliers. During the brief time Blaziken was legal in X/Y OU, Azumarill was pretty much the go-to check/counter for (Mega) Blaziken, as it has priority Aqua Jet to bypass Speed Boosts; also, it resists both of Blaziken's STABs:
    -Waterfall
    -Play Rough
    -Aqua Jet
    -Knock Off/Superpower
    EVs: 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spe (Choice Band) or 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SDef (Assault Vest)
    Item: Choice Band/Assault Vest

or
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off
    Item: Sitrus Berry

Just saying, just because a Pokemon is legendary doesn't mean it's overpowered. Look at Articuno and the Regis for instance.

As an FYI, Blaziken uses Knock Off over Night Slash or Shadow Claw, as the former has excellent utility in removing items; also don't forget that Blaziken also sometimes uses Stone Edge for Fliers. During the brief time Blaziken was legal in X/Y OU, Azumarill was pretty much the go-to check/counter for (Mega) Blaziken, as it has priority Aqua Jet to bypass Speed Boosts; also, it resists both of Blaziken's STABs:
    -Waterfall
    -Play Rough
    -Aqua Jet
    -Knock Off/Superpower
    EVs: 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spe (Choice Band) or 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SDef (Assault Vest)
    Item: Choice Band/Assault Vest

or
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off
    Item: Sitrus Berry

Just saying, just because a Pokemon is legendary doesn't mean it's overpowered. Look at Articuno and the Regis for instance.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Doh, I feel kinda stupid for forgetting Knock Off...

& I'm actually in favor of the no legendaries, because most of the time, I'll only be able to get
    one & they're also a pain in the you-know-what to capture.

With only the common pokemon, I can breed if I need to & it'll be easier to build a team.

Plus, no Heatran to harass my Mega Charizard X!
    :3

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Just saying, just because a Pokemon is legendary doesn't mean it's overpowered. Look at Articuno and the Regis for instance.

No legends is understandably a much more common rule on cartridge than in battle simulators, because rather than having a perfect legend specced for battle within a few clicks' reach, cartridge players face the choice of either soft resetting countless times to get a legend hopefully close to what they want to use, or just going with what the game gives them, which is often not a great nature, or IV spread. This eliminates a lot of luck play in getting a usable or non usable legend sine they can't be bred, as well as discourage the obvious possibility of obtaining and using an illegitimately obtained legend that is very battle viable. :)

It can also encourage a lot more variety and originality in mons' since again - legends can't be bred or customized whatsoever on cartridge. Meaning any one legend will only ever have one nature, one set of IV's, a mildly flexible moveset with no egg moves however, and one maybe two abilities if the DW one is even released, and obtainable on regular games. It can't be simply clicked into a different role or build.

Btw - your mons look pretty cool so far, I can personally say that Galvantula set has done quite a bit for me. I rolled with timid as well, but went with gastro acid over energy ball. I can't tell you how many times I've ruined a gliscor switch in with toxic heal because they predict a thunder, but instead lost poison heal and start taking toxic damage. Energy ball is good coverage for ground and rock types though; if you were looking for that option more. I also rolled with Life Orb over focus sash, which may benefit you more since you've got that third attack over another status / support move.

Back