• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen No Love For Bedrill

TheTrenchCoatVenomoth

The Trench Coat Venomoth
Years
  • Few Days ago I made a post about which is bug was better Venomoth, Butterfree and Beedrill The Replies a Got were mostly mixed between Butterfree and Venomoth (I'm of course a venomoth fan Refer To Username) But No one said they liked Beedrill Better then the rest of the Bugs. In Base Stats Comparison Between Beedrill And Butterfree Thier Stats Are Pretty Even The only Real Difference is Butterfree has Higher Sp.AK Were Beedrill Has Higher Attack So Why Do People Like Beedrill Over Butterfree

Years
  • Ok so first of all, you got a response from only 6 people, and that number is too small to make any statistical conclusion. And second of all, they already told you what the main reasons are. It's weak, hard to train, and people find Buterfree better looking, especially since it was one of the main anime characters.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I've always picked Weedle over Caterpie, just like I've always picked Pidgey over Spearow.

Ok so first of all, you got a response from only 6 people, and that number is too small to make any statistical conclusion.

Exactly, let alone open a thread about it.

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
    Years
  • Beedrill is my favorite bug Pokemon! Twin Needle is an awesome move, and I even have a fun TCG deck that revolves around Link Needle.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    Because at the same level, a Beedrill can't kick the same amount of pokétail that Butterfree can. Confusion has something to do with it.

In fact I have a clear case of this. Last night (no spoiler), while recording, I had both of them at same level in group. They were going up against mobs slightly above level. Butterfree held its own, able to do significant damge. Beedrill, even with hyper attack, was struggling to do damage. The end result was it was easy to get to the point with Beedrill where it would be first pokémon up and immediately subbed because it was dying.

Last edited:

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • I did a Mono-Poison run in Pokemon Firered, and my Beedril (named Anthrax) sucks horrendously. Beedril is just to bad to be useful.

Also, a lot of people, barring myself, do not like the actual animals: Honey Bees or Hornets.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Up until Generation 5, Beedrill was a major hinderance to the party because its level up movepool is pretty pathetic and in order to learn better moves, it would have to use up valuable TMs that would probably benefit other Pokemon a lot more. In HeartGold when I EV trained a Beedrill I ended up giving it Natural Gift because it had no other better options available to it.

A typical run through of the game will show just how inferior Beedrill is to Butterfree. Butterfree learns the Powder-based moves and Supersonic very early, meaning it can cause 4 different status effects. Beedrill will only be able to inflict Poison, and that's if it gets lucky. Butterfree gets halfway decent attacks like Confusion and Gust, whereas Beedrill is stuck with Fury Attack and Poison Sting.

I WANT Beedrill to be a much better Pokemon, I really do. But Beedrill, both in game and competitively, is horribly outclassed by both Butterfree and Venomoth.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • I personally always pick Beedrill XD It's e bee with huge thorns for arms. That is awesome people! But I do understand why many people would choose Venonat/Butterfree over Beedrill as both of them are way better in game/competitively as Dr. Silver explained. I personally like more of a challenge when I do a playthrough, so knowing that there are better options out there, doesn't really have an impact on my final decision. But that's just me :P

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I think Beedrill is overlooked because it's ridiculously frail; like before you can even get it set up, it's been OHKO'd by one of its 900 weaknesses.

Its attack may be decent (by Gen I Bug standards), but it's still nothing to write home about, and it's not like there are a plethora of types that are weak to its attacks. It won't ever OHKO something. And as much as Twinneedle and Pin Missile are okay moves, the rest of its movepool leaves a lot to be desired; those two attacks barely dent anything with a half-decent defence either.

On top of all that, the Bug type just isn't very good, especially in Gen I. As has been mentioned, Butterfree was most people's pick because of Confusion/Psybeam, with Psychic type being ridiculously OP in that Generation of games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2014
    I wouldn't say there's no love for it. I honestly tried to have a Beedrill in my party back in yellow but it was a hindrance on my success hence it was replaced by ? (I can't remember... It's been too long). The problem is that it as stated can be destroyed by anything.

I like Beedrill it has a lot of nostalgic support in that regard. But it is just that it is too weak to replace anybody on my usual team (In Gen I) of Alakazam, Rhydon/Rhyperior, Kingdra, Jolteon, Dragonair and Ninetails/Arcanine assuming no starters are used. Which is why it will forever be ignored by me.

In terms of the pokemon you asked in your questionnaire if I HAD to chose one it'd be butterfree or venomoth.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I personally like Venomoth the most. It's stats are better than Butterfee and Beedrill's; and it learns Psychic moves like Butterfree, but Venonat doesn't evolve until lvl 31.
    Butterfree from my personal experience was better up until Venonat evolved, then Venomoth beat it across the board.
    I've played through using all 3 and Venomoth was the strongest. Beedrill was decent since he's easiest to poison the foe with but he lacks a movepool up until gen 4 or 5.
    Butterfree and Venonat were about equal up until Venonat evolves.

tl:dr: From experience Venomoth was strongest and Beedrill was weakest, but opinions may differ.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I need to be honest, back to first gen, since Butterfree learns psychic moves, I never really thought of using Beedril :(

Maybe a Mega Evolution would fix that...? :O

Too much Hoenn MegaEvos, I need more from Kanto.

Tek

Years
  • I did a Jurassic Jam challenge run on LG a while back. Beedrill performed quite well for me with Twineedle and Aerial Ace. I had to be a bit picky about which battles to use her in, but still. She wrecked Misty's Starmie, Erika's Gym, and Sabrina's Gym, and provided support for my Butterfree against Koga and Bruno.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I love beedrill! But I don't play with him because.. well... he's not that good. But I love this pokemon! :(

I was sooooo happy when I saw the mega Beedrill!!! I will so one for sure!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Beedrill is cool it looks cool and its got a nice design for mega as well but its just not that powerful or good

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2014
    The psychic move set at the early points in the game are too much of a benefit. Beedrills stats may be good, but it needs a better moveset

Back