• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No More Gyms: how does this affect traded Pokémon?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
Years
  • In the past, each Gym badge you obtained throughout the game would allow traded Pokémon of certain levels to obey you. If your traded Pokémon grew past that level before moving onto the next Gym badge, it would disobey you in battle.

Now with Gyms gone in place of Trials in Sun and Moon, how do you think this will work? I'm really curious to see what everybody else thinks. I'm thinking maybe after you complete a Trial in the main part of the story, traded Pokémon up to a certain level will obey you like in the past. Only difference there would be is no Gym badges.

CunningChandelure

Alchemist
    Years
  • I think it would be reasonable to guess that trials completed = higher levels to obey because there is a reason for the system and there requires a substitute. What I might speculate is the idea that Badges aren't leaving, but rather just the Gym badges. We might still get little badges for completing trials because at the root the trials and gyms are similar concepts.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The concept of disobeying Pokémon may be scrapped altogether in further attempt to make the games even easier.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • The concept of disobeying Pokémon may be scrapped altogether in further attempt to make the games even easier.

I could see this happening, to be honest.

"We wanted to make it so kids didn't have to work hard for their victories because if they did we would run the risk of them giving up the game, if a child was given a Darkrai it's his choice to use it in game"

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I assume that we still get something the resembles badges. GameXplain did a Q&A video where someone asked them what the Trainer Case/Card looks like and they said they could not talk about it at all, meaning there's probably something like that that's going to appear and they haven't revealed it yet.

Iron Tiff

OBJECTION!
    Years
  • My guess is that Pokémon obedience depends on completed trials. Then it looks like you get access to more ride Pokémon after completing x number of trials.

Years
  • The concept of disobeying Pokémon may be scrapped altogether in further attempt to make the games even easier.

My guess is that Pokémon obedience depends on completed trials. Then it looks like you get access to more ride Pokémon after completing x number of trials.

James169 has mentioned above that the obedience limit is staying for this generation, and like Tiff said I'm assuming it's based on the number of completed Island Trials. So no, Game Freak wouldn't scrap this handicap just because they're making everything else easier.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    The answer has already been given by Gamefreak, it's in the demo.

If you try and transfer Greninja over, the Professor says it won't obey you until you have obtained 2 (I think) trial badges, so they will fill the role that gym badges had.
    Exactly. The situation with traded Pokes won't be that different, its the same thing.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Like the others' said, it might be a scrapped idea altogether from now, considering how the videos on Sun and Moon up to date seems to emphasise on friendship and trading/ battling together as well.

But since it's already confirmed to stay, I am thinking the Trials will be replacing the Gyms for the limit.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    If you try and transfer Greninja over from the demo it says it won't obey you in the main game unless you have completed two Grand Trials (Kahunas).

So... Yeah.

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • Wait. So how many trials are there for each island? And are there really only seven? That'd be a shame because there's a lot of Pokemon types that deserve some trial love. They could have gone with a lot of trials and expanded the gameplay and more fun with different puzzles.
    But I think we're getting beads? I heard something about necklace beads things as some sort of badge. Or I might be confused and should hit myself.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Going by the filesize and the recent trailer, I'm starting to believe that we could actually see some sort of Gym system in place around Alola. Maybe it will be post-game, but I'm definitely thinking there is something they're hiding from us.

Back