• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No more megas

Sirfetch’d

With no more mega Pokemon(or Z moves) existing this upcoming generation, how do you guys think the meta will change? Obviously most of what is going to happen will be dependent on what Pokemon make it into the games but assuming the good majority of the more commonly used Pokemon do, what do you think will be the play styles seen? Will stall be stronger once again?

Years
  • Well, I think it's safe to say a lot of the big threats from the current meta won't be around. I don't see the Tapus, Magearna or any Ultra Beasts being available in Galar. Then add to that the loss of Megas and a huge chunk of the heaviest hitters and most powerful sweepers and wallbreakers are no longer going to be present. Dynamax will potentially mitigate the loss to an extent, but I think overall we can expect to see a resurgence in stall.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Thank goodness, they need to get back to basics like they did for the first 4 gens. Gen5 started this trend of op abilities, base 10000 attack etc, gen 6 stacked ontop of that with insane megas, then gen 7 introduced zmoves. When a game starts to rely on op mechanics which influence the metagame and team match ups in an inherently negative manner by stacking with previous gens ridiculous mechanics, it and said other mechanics needs to be dropped. There becomes a point because of all these crazy op mechanics it just becomes stupidly convoluted and needless because we essentially only have 6 slots to deal with everything and its not fun.

Keep things simple and relatively balanced, please. Megas werent inherently a bad idea on stuff that sucks like Farfetch'd, Butterfree or stuff begging for an evo but on stuff that is already hard to deal with, thats where it gets stupid.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Gonna be glad not to see the same 4 pokemon in VGC anymore, Incineroar, xerneas, groudon and kyogre are quite possibly the most broken and overused set in the whole competition... Anything which uses creativity like an assist - power trip persian is ridiculed as a comedy set despite it being fairly easy to counter but strong against an unsuspecting party... I for one am really welcome to the idea of going back to gen 3-4 battle mechanics are actually having to set up and sweep or wittle down your opponents rather than getting a lucky crit into an ability which boosts your attacks.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Well with the reveal of gigantamaxing (megas + Z-Moves combined lmao) I don't thing much will change at all. The go-to strategy will probably be to try and stall out the gigantamaxed turns, but who knows how well that will work if the new moves have the ability to break things like screens and protect.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Good riddance tbh. The power creep is absurd with things like Metagross and Raikou languishing in RU. I would love to see the return of Pokemon with average stats and without OP abilities being viable in OU again.

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
    Years
  • I'm really going to miss the megas that needed it (ie Beedrill, Mawile, Lopunny, Medicham, etc.) because they breathed new life into otherwise unusable (or non-viable) Pokemon. Like others have said, with a lot of heavy hitters likely not returning, stall will probably see more play. Especially given that Ferrothorn and Toxapex were included in Galar for some silly reason.

Back