• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: No name change, so alts?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Like I said I'll brainstorm and see if I can come up with something. I would only want to do it though if it was hugely like, sparse. If you want to change your name and plan on having it for a long time, like it's your permanent new name (unless by chance you end up hating that one a few years down the road or something). I don't want to go back to the habit of every four months have of the active members on PC have new names and you're like "huh?!"

If something similar can be put in place, change it to every two years to request a new username, or every one year, four months was too soon anyway.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I would actually love that idea. Though, this is probably an h-hstaff kind of thing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I was thinking we could allow account "transfers," we'd set up a request thread like the username change one. Basically we'd have the member register a new account and we'd go through and transfer all the information over--we'd edit the new account's postcount, join date, reissue emblems, reassign permissions (if they're a supporter, etc.), so on so forth. The physical stuff wouldn't actually be transferred (posts and VMs and friends and stuff), but I could set it up so that a link to the old account is permanently fixed to the profile.

Just wanna throw in my two cents about that, but I was an assistant admin on a forum about two years ago, and the forum kinda...blew up, so to speak. When it was restored, everyone had to re-register and us admins had to transfer all the info from the previous accounts, and it worked very well, I think. So I am all for this idea.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I knew that when I changed my user name before, it was because I grew bored of the current user name I had or because I thought up a new creative name I wanted to use. At the same time, with the option of changing my user name being there, I took use of it even though I might not have needed to some times, but I always found a better name I had liked more each time my wait limit was up, and I thought it was less "noobish" than the one before. I guess that goes in the middle of changing your name for the right reasons and wrong reasons.

Point being though, your user name is only as noobish as you make it out to be. A person shouldn't have to judge you by your user name. It's like someone judging you for who you are as a person because of you real name; it doesn't make sense. They can only see you for what you put in that box of words you post up.

I can still see where people feel less likeness towards the user name they chose after awhile though. I've been there and done that many times in the past. It's human nature that we choose something from a start, but as we grow we also grow weary of it and feel the need for change. So, if you really want to have a new name change and your only alternative is to go with a new account, think about it first. And if you're really wanting that change, then go for it. Don't worry about your post count, because that's just a number and you can always catch up to it again. Infractions, staff will know who you are and your past by a simple IP check. Emblems can always be transferred to your new account if you kindly ask a member of the staff who has the available time to do it. Just don't pretend to be someone new, let your friends know who you are (or even let them know you're making an account switch beforehand) so they don't lose contact with you.

...and now the latter of this means nothing with Audy's recent post. XD Just saying, I would love the transfer idea to be implemented. If it's a PAD issue, and it passes, please have my Join Date changed to Sept. 2008; my original join date. :]

kthxbai

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Don't worry about your post count, because that's just a number and you can always catch up to it again. Infractions, staff will know who you are and your past by a simple IP check. Emblems can always be transferred to your new account if you kindly ask a member of the staff who has the available time to do it. Just don't pretend to be someone new, let your friends know who you are (or even let them know you're making an account switch beforehand) so they don't lose contact with you.

I know post count is only a number, but it would be good if your account is transferred that your original post count is transferred over too. Number or not to some it is one of those tiny things that you like to keep track of. I want to someday reach Forever and Lightning's amount of posts, so restarting the post count would be pretty inconvenient. To me, having my post count is a way of showing my service/dedication to PC (might sound ridiculous but it is true XD ) and I would hate to start from 0 again.

That transfer idea sounds like a pretty good alternate BTW. And having a link to your old account in your profile makes it almost as good as a name change. This method however may also prevent users from changing their names like crazy, as it would create too many links and work for Admins to keep transferring [not that I know the level of work required, just saying]. So once a year minimum sounds great!

King Gumball

Years
    His comment about postcount was before he read the transfer idea, King Gumball, don't worry. :] If this gets implemented everything would be moved, including post count.

That said, I just posted a thread about this in one of the adminy forums, so we'll see what happens.

Ahh okay, my bad then. At least you all know what I think of post count then :pink_laugh:

I really hope the Admins approve of this *crosses fingers*~

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    I agree that the concept of alts suck, because then you're starting over again, without any recognition.

I at least want the opportunity to close an old account and transfer everything over to a new account, like post count, emblems, etc.

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Sorta. Leave all the posts, but make it inactive, kinda like getting booted out.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I like this idea, but the only issue would be userids, a lot of members really like their userids (for example someone with the userid 20 as opposed to 121212) and losing that to change username would kinda suck.

UNLESS! ...we could keep our original userids and us with account merges in the past (for example, Drew, and then there's Jake who wants his original id back) could get our first ids back? :333;

...or if not the idea sounds totally fine. :D

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Well, how about a single name change to be able to at least take out the numbers and the word "cool" from my username. Wait, that's my whole username...
    I'm sorry if somebody else said this, but I saw the yearly idea, so I thought to be at least given a single change to switch out. It wouldn't cause the day counting, so there isn't anything to worry about.
    Eh ? (:

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
    I'm also up for the yearly thing. However, I don't consider making an alt just for the purpose of username, there's more to that (on my case). So I'm sticking up with this one D:

Years
    Well, how about a single name change to be able to at least take out the numbers and the word "cool" from my username. Wait, that's my whole username...
    I'm sorry if somebody else said this, but I saw the yearly idea, so I thought to be at least given a single change to switch out. It wouldn't cause the day counting, so there isn't anything to worry about.
    Eh ? (:
    Again, it'd cause a lot of stress on the server. You're looking at a LOT of downtime here. However, if we ever had pruning . . .

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm just putting it out there, but I don't see much wrong with offering a username change once a year for everyone at the same time. One or two days of downtime doesn't seem like too much to deal with compared to the amount of users who would love for a chance to change their username.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I'm sorry if I sounded harsh earlier, but its just that it kinda seemed rubbish seeing all you argue with your username being suckish. I wish there'd be someway to change my name as well, all I can think of is like a price if you won something in PC? But that'd probably take time and is probably not a good idea at all, but still it'd be kind of good if the person who gets a name change earns it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm just putting it out there, but I don't see much wrong with offering a username change once a year for everyone at the same time. One or two days of downtime doesn't seem like too much to deal with compared to the amount of users who would love for a chance to change their username.

I don't see why there should be downtime, tbh.

What if someone's PC anniversary is then and they want to get on, what if an important event is on in a section, what if important information is announced for something - aka B/W for example - release date and people really want to discuss it? I don't like the idea of downtime that isn't due to dbe's, etc, unless it was downtime to IMPROVE the forum aka make it work faster or something like that. I just see too many issues with picking a day for full downtime.

I think we should leave downtime to when there are server issues or otherwise. :x

Account transfers sounds muuuuch better without the hassle.

Last edited:
    Years

For some reason, I have a feeling that this will put more strain on the server.

My stance on the username changing policy is I don't care! XD Simple enough.
    You signed up with a username and you stick with that username. Yes, you do change as a person if you have been here for long enough. Mine has been changed twice, but I don't care if it stayed as my original.
    Not that many forums allow username changes like PC use to, so I am not surprised that it has put so much strain on the servers.

As for having an alt, I have one, but I haven't logged into it for a long time and it was only to save my name back when name changes were allowed. I don't really see the point in them. I know that is a bit ironic since I have one, but I don't really use it.

If you don't like your name, then I guess if it bothers you so much, just move completely to another account and start over. If you don't want to start over, then I guess you are stuck.

King Gumball

Years
    For some reason, I have a feeling that this will put more strain on the server.

My stance on the username changing policy is I don't care! XD Simple enough.
    You signed up with a username and you stick with that username. Yes, you do change as a person if you have been here for long enough. Mine has been changed twice, but I don't care if it stayed as my original.
    Not that many forums allow username changes like PC use to, so I am not surprised that it has put so much strain on the servers.

As for having an alt, I have one, but I haven't logged into it for a long time and it was only to save my name back when name changes were allowed. I don't really see the point in them. I know that is a bit ironic since I have one, but I don't really use it.

If you don't like your name, then I guess if it bothers you so much, just move completely to another account and start over. If you don't want to start over, then I guess you are stuck.

But how will that put more strain on the server? The suggestion is that all your info is to just be moved to your new account. It isn't like your username is changing on every post, album, thread, PM, VM, Blog etc. I don't see how that could strain the server :/ New people join every day with new information added, this will be very similar I guess. And we will be moving to a new account too. Just our old info will be moved across as well.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I don't see why there should be downtime, tbh.

What if someone's PC anniversary is then and they want to get on, what if an important event is on in a section, what if important information is announced for something - aka B/W for example - release date and people really want to discuss it? I don't like the idea of downtime that isn't due to dbe's, etc, unless it was downtime to IMPROVE the forum aka make it work faster or something like that. I just see too many issues with picking a day for full downtime.

I think we should leave downtime to when there are server issues or otherwise. :x

The once-a-year name change system idea has popped into my head a few times before. I always thought it was a good idea, even for the price of PC being down for a couple of days, but I know the admins wouldn't pass for it. 'Tis why the "transfer" idea seems like the next best thing where it can please anyone who decides to make a switch for a new user name.

However, PC anniversaries events, all those sorts of things are pretty minor if you ask me. I mean, even if you miss one anniversary, it's not going to kill you; you will survive. Not to mention that PC anniversaries aren't even as popular as they used to be anyway. As far as events go, for those who host them can always extend the time frame due to down time. Aaaand, I'm pretty sure admins wouldn't decide to take PC down right around the time of big news release such as B&W release.

Honestly, choosing at least two days for downtime wouldn't be that hard. It was easily chosen for this year in February and it worked out just fine. Like I said though, the admins probably wouldn't pass for this idea, but things like someone's anniversary or a forum event that could be extended in time wouldn't stop them from doing it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

The once-a-year name change system idea has popped into my head a few times before. I always thought it was a good idea, even for the price of PC being down for a couple of days, but I know the admins wouldn't pass for it. 'Tis why the "transfer" idea seems like the next best thing where it can please anyone who decides to make a switch for a new user name.

However, PC anniversaries events, all those sorts of things are pretty minor if you ask me. I mean, even if you miss one anniversary, it's not going to kill you; you will survive. Not to mention that PC anniversaries aren't even as popular as they used to be anyway. As far as events go, for those who host them can always extend the time frame due to down time. Aaaand, I'm pretty sure admins wouldn't decide to take PC down right around the time of big news release such as B&W release.

Honestly, choosing at least two days for downtime wouldn't be that hard. It was easily chosen for this year in February and it worked out just fine. Like I said though, the admins probably wouldn't pass for this idea, but things like someone's anniversary or a forum event that could be extended in time wouldn't stop them from doing it.

Despite that, I still don't think it's a good idea. Account transfers would work just as well, and those things ARE important to some people (people have their own reasons to be on), plus as I mentioned, we should be concentrating on things to improve PC, or downtimes that we can't help. Do we really want to create more downtime for PC? Because really, if the downtime issue wasn't that bad, then name changes would still occur. The fact that one name change hurts PC should be reason enough. Allowing one whole day, or two, to do it, could eventually be harmful to PC and could prove to be a longer downtime, or even worse, something else could go wrong and PC could have future issues. I don't think we should be playing with fire here and instead go with something like account transfers which aren't likely to hurt PC.

Back