• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No Story?

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    Before I reply, I'd like to reaffirm that I am an avid RPG gamer and I do enjoy good game storylines. However, Pokemon is a different situation entirely.

Hardcore Pokemon players like me aren't concerned with the story. Pokemon games' stories have never been that interesting. That's why it's marketed as a children's game; most kids are easily amused. They beat Dialga/Palkia and think they're a great hero who saved all of time and space. As if the very next trainer that kid fought couldn't have done the same thing. I got to the Elite Four three days after the game came out. The whole story to me was just a formality so I could start Pal Parking, building my collector's empire, and start breeding battle teams. For me, it's all about victory. (y)

Superkid11

Covered in Shroomish
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    Well, I can't really argue with the Friend Codes thing that the DS uses. It's just ---. Plus, it's the biggest gimmick ever seen in a video game or system since needing a Genesis, a Sega CD, and a 32X (three systems) to play Sega CDX games. I won't argue with you there.

But the point still remains, with a next-gen system, it shouldn't be that hard to incorporate a story. I mean, I could do it.
    It's not that they thought they COULDN'T it's that they chose not to, just to emphasize on the battling.

The only Pokemon game for the Wii I'd like with a story is a sequal to Hey You Pikachu... except you actually get to play as Pikachu instead of being a trainer walking around petting it or speaking to it.
    They created an interesting world in HYP and Pokemon Channel and it'd be fun to walk through it unrestrained as Pikachu; zapping enimies and collecting things, playing games, and just having a lot of fun along the way. Kind of a Mario/DK64-esque kind of thing but that's what I'd like.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Exactly Ichida This Is What Pbr Is Supposed To Do I Just Hope No One Uses Hacked Stats Pokemon
    The good news is, hacked Pokemon with stupidly high/impossible stats get bounced when you try to transfer them.
    The bad news is, any hacked Pokemon that seems legit (ahem 31 IV to all stats) will not.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    It's not that they thought they COULDN'T it's that they chose not to, just to emphasize on the battling.

That's all well and good, but let me put it into perspective for you.

Ever since the Wii came out, I've been waiting for a Pokemon game to come out for it (as I'm sure many of you have too). I figured that since it was taking so long, they were just taking their time on it, so I was like, 'Since they're taking so much time, it must mean the game's gonna be awesomely epic.'.

I remember having dreams of Pokemon games for the Wii, then waking up and being pissed because it wasn't real. The wait was killing me. And I'm sure that lots of you have been through that at one point or another.

So the game comes out, and it's categorized as an RPG. And it has NO STORY! How does an RPG have no story, let ALONE one on a next-gen system?! There is no excuse for it. None. They simply half-***ed it.

That'd be like Square-Enix making a Final Fantasy game, but then only letting you fight against the same twenty people over and over again until you're strong enough to beat the last boss, with no rhyme or reason or explanation for why you're there.

How would you like it if Final Fantasy XIII came out, but there was no plot, and all you could do is fight the same twenty or so people over and over again until your level was high enough to beat the last boss? Then when it's over, all you see is the credits. It would be boring as hell. I've seen Flash games on Newgrounds that have more interesting plots than that.

Wow, that really sounds like it's worth 50 dollars... Which is likely what you're gonna be paying for this. And you know, until people wake up and realize this, it'll keep happening too. So, I'll be saving my money this time and renting the game first. Because this definitely doesn't sound like a buy, but a rental. Plus, I can rent it for free after 21 days, so...

And yes, I am a big Pokemon fan. Otherwise, I wouldn't be complaining about this here.

Last edited:

Ichida

Years
    I'm sure they'll work on something like Colosseum or XD (hopefully without the utter bull**** that is Shadow Pokemon) but PBR came first because they wanted something simple and efficient that got right down to the whole point of Pokemon itself - battle. It's also Nintendo's way of field testing online play with the Wii, being the first actual online Wii game. You gotta remember, from most of what games are out, the Wii is a console meant for things like parties and gaming groups. They haven't quite adapted to storyline-driven single player games yet, although there have been a few, like Super Paper Mario and such. No worries, I have faith a story-driven Pokemon RPG will be made for the Wii sometime in the next few years.

Superkid11

Covered in Shroomish
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    That's all well and good, but let me put it into perspective for you.

Ever since the Wii came out, I've been waiting for a Pokemon game to come out for it (as I'm sure many of you have too). I figured that since it was taking so, they were just taking their time on it, so I was like, 'Since they're taking so much time, it must mean the game's gonna be awesomely epic.'.

I remember having dreams of Pokemon games for the Wii, then waking up and being pissed because it wasn't real. The wait was killing me. And I'm sure that lots of you have been through that at one point or another.

So the game comes out, and it's categorized as an RPG. And it has NO STORY! How does an RPG have no story, let ALONE one on a next-gen system?! There is no excuse for it. None. They simply half-***ed it.

That'd be like Square-Enix making a Final Fantasy game, but then only letting you fight against the same twenty people over and over again until you're strong enough to beat the last boss, with no rhyme or reason or explanation for why you're there.

How would you like it if Final Fantasy XIII came out, but there was no plot, and all you could do is fight the same twenty or so people over and over again until your level was high enough to beat the last boss? Then when it's over, all you see is the credits. It would be boring as hell. I've seen Flash games on Newgrounds that have more interesting plots than that.

Wow, that really sounds like it's worth 50 dollars... Which is likely what you're gonna be paying for this. And you know, until people wake up and realize this, it'll keep happening too. So, I'll be saving my money this time and renting the game first. Because this definitely doesn't sound like a buy, but a rental. Plus, I can rent it for free after 21 days, so...

And yes, I am a big Pokemon fan. Otherwise, I wouldn't be complaining about this here.
    Erm, yes, an RPG without a story would suck but PBR isn't an RPG. O_o
    But I think I understand what you're saying. A Pokemon game isn't right to you without a story. Still, couldn't hurt renting it, it may change your perspective. ;)

I'm really only upset at the loss of minigames.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Erm, yes, an RPG without a story would suck but PBR isn't an RPG. O_o
    But I think I understand what you're saying. A Pokemon game isn't right to you without a story. Still, couldn't hurt renting it, it may change your perspective. ;)

I'm really only upset at the loss of minigames.

Not an RPG?
    https://www.rpgamer.com/games/pokemon/pokemonwii/pokemonwii.html

I will be renting it though, just to be fair. I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, but I still have a bad feeling about this one...

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    thats good theres no storyline, and the gamecube pokemon games are so boring cause of the story

That's partially bacause the people at Nintendo can't write a plot to save their lives (I suspect that this is also the reason they omitted a story mode in Battle Revolution). If you want an example, look at the Zelda games.

Each one is similar to the last (with most of the same exact items each time too), but with new dungeons, new puzzles, and some new gimmick, such as the Ocarina, the Wind Waker boat, and even transformations. I mean, how many times has Link killed Ganon now? And for that matter, how many girls named Zelda ARE there in Hyrule? I've only ever met ONE in my entire life, and I've lived in more states than most people will ever see in their lifetime. And don't give me this story about alternate timelines and time-travel paradoxes. In the words of a famous character in entertainment history, 'Man, I HATE time travel!'. And why was A Link To The Past CALLED A Link To The Past when it didn't even HAVE any time travel in it?

But that's just an example. As much as I'd love to rant about Zelda, I don't want to stray too far off topic.

With Pokemon, we've got a contrived and twisted world with a history that contradicts itself on a regular basis (Pokemon used to be from another planet, and now suddenly they were created by this Poke-God? What's next, a nuclear war creating them?). But at LEAST they have a somewhat ongoing plot.

Now, to be fair, I know it's supposed to be geared toward children. So I've overlooked alot of the inconsistencies in the story (even though they're driving me up the wall with a little project I'm working on...). Still, it would be nice to get a bit of continuity going in Pokemon...

So yes, I agree that the storylines aren't that great. But having NO storyline is worse.

Last edited:

halfling2

Breakfast Squid
    Years
    I'm personally happy that there is no story.
    It seems nowadays Pokemon storylines are stupid, take over the world with a legendary, evil intention crap.
    Team Galactic was trying to recreate the world, compared to Team Rocket, which was just a huge group of sleezy thugs. I like the sleezy thugs better.
    Battle Revolution should be more focused on interesting ways to battle anyways. Let's just stray away from Cryus-like corny emo lines and stick with getting flogged by other players over Wi-Fi.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    That's partially bacause the people at Nintendo can't write a plot to save their lives (I suspect that this is also the reason they omitted a story mode in Battle Revolution). If you want an example, look at the Zelda games.

I'd just like to point out that it was another company that made up the GCN Pokemon games (Genius Sorority (sp?)).

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    oh my god the story in Colosseum was a complete NIGHTMARE to me! all the ultra balls wasted on trying to get that dang metagross, and tyranitar(just to get a Ho-oh), i think PBR will be fine w/out a story mode

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    The rules are fine. I think it adds more challenge to the game only being able to use the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym Leader and not always being able to use items in battle.

It's the other stuff that makes me skeptical.

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
    Years
    Well as long if the whole game is fun wich really counts so I don't really care if there's a story or not no more as long if it's good

halfling2

Breakfast Squid
    Years
    Well, I DO regret the abssence of minigames, which made Stadium 2 really fun. I just hope it's more challenging than Emerald's Battle Frontier.
    Still sounds like a rental, but a story mode would make me more relluctant to look at it at all. Unless it had the different Colosseum's readily accessible along with the everything else (transfer, character creator and Wi-Fi), then that would be awesome.

Ryo1234

Ace Trainer
    Years
    Actually, there is a story, it's just 2 words, "Own everybody."

QFT.

With the lack of story just leaves you all the rest of the room to pimp out your Character's gear, and see your Pokemon from D/P look all sexy and what not.

Though, I do hope they actually do get around to making a full-fledged Pokemon RPG (Colosseum/XD weren't good enough to be considered an RPG, IMO) for a console system. If for the Wii- Jesus, that'd be one sexy looking game.

Ichida

Years
    I never liked minigames. I can never sit through a full game of Mario Party, and Chocobo Tales was quite irritating to get through. >.< I'm glad there aren't minigames. No nonsense you'd need to play to unlock anything.

Back