• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Non-Pokemon hacks

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
    Years
    DW rant #1 is brought to you by the letter L

I have been seriously thinking about trying to see how a game that is made on a pokemon base, but not related to pokemon (check my sig and try to figure out what it is about).

so far the only major hack that i have seen, let me say this again, SEEN that is not pokemon related and popular is this
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=198826

i know that it isn't on a pokemon base but that is not my point.
    what i am getting at is that this is a forum for pokemon and non-pokemon related hacks, the non-pokemon part is almost forgotten. I am fully aware that the site is based off a monster catching game from japan, and people have there own stories that they thought up from like or dislike of something about it, and want to modify it so they can enjoy the format in another way. None have achieved the previous sentence as much as CBM.

For me CBM is showing to me the entire spectrum of possibilities of hacking by making things that seemed impossible to do in anything but GBA/DS roms possible.
    EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Q7LMxF7t0&feature=related
    and things that would not be normally thought possible
    EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSenKv-V7R8&feature=related -- not so much though
    EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzi131ndReE
    but most important https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY85SQ2I708

if you have not already read this, please do
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=211307

this is rapidly getting about the wrong subject so this is what i think people don't make non -pokemon related hacks for

-Spriting in general (tiles, battle sprites, ect.)
    -Creating a story (this pretty much goes for everything)
    -Available tools (really i only think this may be one, not so sure, even though ones available can be used to hack everything you need to make a basic one)
    -Scripting in general (yeah this also goes for everything)
    -Custom music (this is on the lines of masking the rom base even more)

and that is it, this has been DW rant #1

--seriously, i thought i would say something

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Most people hack Pokemon because they can. And, most people here see Pokemon tools, and hardly check other places. It is mainly because people who join see Pokemon hacks and want to be part of the fun, and stick to them because they can. Pokemon hacking is not the easiest to hack by far (SMW is, due to the fact you only need to change the maps to make a decent hack), but the only thing hacked here because people get the tools here, don't check other places, and want to prove something.

NikoBelic999

Friendly Hometown Mugger....XD
    Years
    Most people hack Pokemon because they can. And, most people here see Pokemon tools, and hardly check other places. It is mainly because people who join see Pokemon hacks and want to be part of the fun, and stick to them because they can. Pokemon hacking is not the easiest to hack by far (SMW is, due to the fact you only need to change the maps to make a decent hack), but the only thing hacked here because people get the tools here, don't check other places, and want to prove something.
    Yeah this ^ is true, things hacked like GTA and others could be harder, but right now, this is the easiest for me at least...

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    This is The Pokemon Community.

The majority of people only like Pokemon.

It's not as good business showing off a hack here because people won't be playing it as much. There'll be a handful of people that actually play said game in this forum.

Go to the hacking section of a forum like Fire Emblem Universe and you've got a lot more reception for your hack and much better crit and ideas.

But that shouldn't stop anyone from posting it here as well.

...Hey, that's my hack! Should I feel honoured that I've got the only, uh, popular non-Pokemon hack? xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    I have a sort of related question / suggestion. Why don't people try to either

1) hack other games (let's say, an easy one, like Super Mario World) and make it pokemon related? That'd be very fun to see (I remember there was one on another site, I THINK it was called pokemon of the past.) This would be especially cool with an RPG (i imagine editing final fantasy or something wouldn't be so hard).

2) hack pokemon games and make it non-pokemon related? Like make it about... Mario Bros., or DBZ, or Digimon, or entirely new characters?

Ok, wait, I think I know the answer - because it's hard and because people here are newbz. But some people must not be right? ANYWAY... if either of the above 2 exist, can anyone tell me about a few?

By the way, I'm not any sort of hacker and I appreciate that other people do stuff, I'm not complaining, i hope you all understand.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    1) hack other games (let's say, an easy one, like Super Mario World) and make it pokemon related?

I'm sure that's been done somewhere before, although it's likely not common at all.

2) hack pokemon games and make it non-pokemon related? Like make it about... Mario Bros., or DBZ, or Digimon, or entirely new characters?

I recall a few attempts to make Yu-Gi-Oh related hacks here that never went anywhere. I think that there once was a Digimon-related hack, but I dunno what happened to it. Also, I think there is/was a Digimon game in the Development section. Dunno if that's worked on or has a beta or whatever. I also remember a (Paper?) Mario hack of FireRed, and I know that one existed. I think it won HotW, so if you're interested in finding it, you can have a look through the winners on the front post there.

akamichi

Back......For Now [Active]
    Years
    well its simple people who hack think their cool "look at me I hack" but then later they find out their banned because of the hack ex:Action Replay its a cheating device that lets you cheat on any game you choose.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    I'm sure that's been done somewhere before, although it's likely not common at all.

I recall a few attempts to make Yu-Gi-Oh related hacks here that never went anywhere. I think that there once was a Digimon-related hack, but I dunno what happened to it. Also, I think there is/was a Digimon game in the Development section. Dunno if that's worked on or has a beta or whatever. I also remember a (Paper?) Mario hack of FireRed, and I know that one existed. I think it won HotW, so if you're interested in finding it, you can have a look through the winners on the front post there.

oh yeah, thank you for the information. anyway, i find those kinds of hacks slightly more interesting - of course this is just a personal opinion. i think there are too many games have mostly superficial changes: change the character's names or the starting pokemon or the gym leaders' pokemons... but not too many things that really feel much different. i have no problem with hacks like that, just saying that it seems like 99.99% of them are like that and well, it feels limited to ONLY have those.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Well, I used to hack Earthbound, but I bet nobody would probably look at the thread, as it seems that every thread I make gets only a single post......

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    well, if it was a good hack and i came across it, i would click on it. a lot of people would see it and maybe play it but not post it. anyway, this shouldnt discourage you. you can also post it in other places like an earthbound forum or romhacking.net and get more feedback.

Back