• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Not Going To My High School Prom. And I'm Not Happy.

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • -sigh- Didn't think I'd be talking about this so early in the school year. But my best friend brought it up, and it's starting to haunt me. Last year, we had a mini prom, and my mother banned me from going. And I got really angry. And upset. But in the end, I ended up not going. Worst part is, she never gave me a ****ing reason.

She also made it obvious that I won't be allowed to go to my senior prom. But... it's my senior prom. I can't miss that.

I guess this is a plea for help. I have no idea how to convince mom to let me go. Or even give a reason as to why not.

Years
  • You gotta find out why she doesn't want you to go and then show her why that reason isn't valid. Like, if she thinks it'll get all wild and stuff then show her it's gonna be supervised, etc.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • It's not that easy. Last year, I tried for two whole months trying to convince her. First off, for those two months, she'd never give me a reason, no matter how many times I asked. When I started giving possible reasons, she'd tell me to leave. As for supervision, she knows teachers will supervise. Hell, I even got my English teacher from last year to almost talk to her. But she wouldn't do it.

What upsets me more is that I never found out why I didn't get to go, not that I wont go. And I'm sad, cause I just know the same thing will happen again.

Years
  • That's... unfortunate. Sounds like she's completely unreasonable to the point of never discussing or explaining things. Dare I suggest you go without her permission?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • That's the current idea my friends are plotting up. That, or kidnap. I'm not even joking, they're as infuriated as I am. Don't know if I have the guts to, though.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Just dont go.Sometimes you have to suck it up if you live under the parents roof. Sucks but then maybe you can host a little after-party or something at your place so at least you can spend some time together.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I actually was thinking of that, Kura. And if I didn't live so damn far away from everyone, maybe I'd do it.

It's like I said earlier, though. What upsets me more is that I'm not given a reason, not that I can't go. I feel betrayed, almost, like my parents don't trust me, but they won't admit it. I don't know.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I used to feel like that too sometimes. Sometimes it was even my own friends who wouldn't give me a legit excuse for them to want to go out or come over or even give them a call (they'd hang up on me.) Sometimes you just have to realize that other people have their own issues and that sometimes they think giving you a reason sounds a bit stupid if they were to say it out loud, and they don't want to hear an argument against their views. Maybe it isn't that they don't trust you, but they don't want to see you grow up, etc, and want to keep you as their little boy. But they may be too afraid to admit that. Stuff like that you have to consider and sometimes just have to deal with it and try to come to some other sort of compromise.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I didn't go to my senior prom for two reasons: 1) Didn't care, and 2) We didn't have the money either (since the tickets are expensive as hell). I would just say not to go, since it's just a stupid dance which, to me personally, doesn't mean much. However, I realize that a lot of high school students would love to have the opportunity to go and hang out with their buddies and socialize and whatnot.

I'd say your best bet currently is to try and get a confession out of her as to why she won't let you go to such events; I don't think it's fair to not allow your kids to go somewhere without a reason, besides a "Because I said so!" kind of thing or just because their parents and blah blah. There obviously has to be some kind of reason why she won't let you go. So try to get that out of her, and if you do, work from there to try and convince her.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I hear you Kura. And yes, it's crossed my mind that maybe mom still find it hard to believe that her little boy's all grown up.

And I hear you too, Mike. I can be objective, I do see it's a simply dance. But for some reason that I can't explain, it means so much. Or maybe it only means so much because of how my parent's are reacting? I don't know.

Lol, way to be blunt Nick. But I'll think about it.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Agreed with Patchisou. Just go. You can't let your mother tell you what you can and can't do forever.

As much as you love her and don't want to hurt her feelings, I think you should just tell her you're going and that's that. She needs to realise that you're going to be making most of your decisions in life by yourself in a few years.

And if she refuses to give a reason, I'm sure there must be more to it than money issues. Try relentlessly to get an answer out of her over the course of the year.

Back