• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Not Sure About Pokemon Starters For My Game

What starter would you choose of each combo so far? (Vote for each one)

• Total voters

FluorescentMunchlax

(aka Joltiikk)
Years
  • I want it to be unique so instead of 3 there are 2 pokemon, super effective on eachother. There were a few possible outcomes I considered but I narrowed it down to 3 combos. I based these on moveset being even (in most cases) and stats as well. Without further ado here they are:

Rufflet <> Snover
    This one seemed to be the best as they're movesets match up perfectly, Both start with Leer and a move of their type, Powder Snow which is 40 damage and Peck which is 35, and then get new moves both at similar levels, and in most cases it seems that they learn status moves at the same time as eachother and damaging moves in conjunction too. The only problem here is that you get Abomasnow at Lv. 40 and Braviary at Lv. 54 but I could lower it to 40 or make them meet halfway...
    Rufflet Stat Total: 334
    Snover Stat Total: 350
    Braviary Stat Total: 494
    Abomasnow Stat Total: 510

Baltoy <> Foongus
    This works very well with only 6 stat points seperating Baltoy and Foongus, then they evolve and Claydol becomes a lot better with 36 more stat points. The moves are fairly even, with absorb and confusion at Lv. 1 for both Pokemon, but Baltoy also has harden. Baltoy learns better and better moves as Foongus just gets a few crappy status moves and weak moves like Astonish until Mega Drain at Lv. 15, by which Baltoy will already have Psybeam, Mudslap and Rocktomb, and also a few levels later Ancient Power. This just gets worse and worse later on, making this not very viable as a starter duo.
    Baltoy Stat Total: 300
    Foongus Stat Total: 294
    Claydol Stat Total: 500
    Foongus Stat Total: 464

Budew <> Spheal/Swinub
    Now, the Budew Spheal combo has better stat equality than any of the other combos so far, but very unfair moves. Spheal already gets 4 moves at Lv. 1 and Budew is stuck with a measly 1. On the other hand you have Swinub who is worse than Budew, but evolves to Piloswine who is a truckload better than Roselia, and then Roserade who is still worse but catches up at least. The moveset is very fair though besides the fact Swinub starts with Tackle instead of a STAB move. Despite this it is a good combo for starters. Also to be considered would be how to evolve Roselia without a stone to be fair to the other pokemon.
    Budew Stat Total: 280
    Swinub Stat Total: 250
    Spheal Stat Total: 290
    Roselia Stat Total: 400
    Piloswine Stat Total: 450
    Sealeo Stat Total: 410
    Roserade Stat Total: 505
    Mamoswine Stat Total: 530
    Walrein Stat Total: 530

Please leave feedback or any other suggestions as to which 2 pokemon I should use as starters.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • To be honest with you, the first two options don't really seem fit to me as starters. The third one seems valid, but, you have to change the methods of evolution.

Dont feet too much about stats, you can always edit them.

If you really want to be unique, pick pokemon that don't have an advantage over each other at all. (Lile Elekid and Magby)

Years
  • I would say go with budew & Swinub as for the evolution problem you could have your rival give you either a shiny stone or ancient power tm depending on which starter you choose ( piloswine needs to know ancient power to evolve into mamoswine). you could do this after the the third or fourth time you face him

FluorescentMunchlax

(aka Joltiikk)
    Years
  • Thats actually a pretty cool idea... I may just go with that...

To be honest with you, the first two options don't really seem fit to me as starters. The third one seems valid, but, you have to change the methods of evolution.

Dont feet too much about stats, you can always edit them.

If you really want to be unique, pick pokemon that don't have an advantage over each other at all. (Lile Elekid and Magby)

I think they should have an advantage over eachother just so it sticks to the standard pokemon starter guidelines but maybe if i chose something else it could work. How do you think weedle, wurmple and caterpie would sound for that?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2013
    Budew and Baltoy have a tie right now x3

Any decision you might make?

Serperion

The Fallen King
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    None of these really work that well I mean if you wanted equals you should really go with Pokemon made for that like

Magby vs Elekid
    Teddiursa vs Phanpy

or Triads which work together

Pansage vs Pansear vs Panpour
    Igglybuff vs Cleffa vs Togepi

You get the idea

Back