• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Not used to the new cries. Anybody else?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Today I got a Kyogre by trading with someone and when I first heard its new cry I thought it was hacked because I remembered Kyogre's old cry. Anybody else ever get shocked by some of the older Pokemon's revamped cries?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    There are times when I wish we could hear the old cries in some way, since I didn't like some of them. Kyogre's, Volbeat's and Illumise's cries were a bit harsher-sounding to my ears. Fraxure's, Haxorus', Deino's, Mienfoo's and Gurdurr's cries were more subdued than their originals. Escavalier's cry didn't really appeal to me either.

The only new cry I liked was Druddigon's. The old one sounded like static. Electabuzz's came in close for not being too harsh on the ears this time.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    I play with the sound off so I've forgotten what most of them sound like (except Kricketune for somewhat obvious reasons).

The one thing that really shocked me though was when I was able to hear Pikachu. Other than that, I didn't really want to hear more so I just muted the 3DS.

Years
    This is a topic I was so waiting for. I hated most of the new cries, because they sounded really bad.

Notable ones that come to my mind are Weavile, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Scyther, Jynx, Flaaffy, Granbull, Teddiursa, Linoone, Lombre, Swablu, Dugtrio, Archeops, Karrablast, Escavalier, Patrat, Taillow, Swellow, Rotom, Gloom, Vileplume, Persian, Trubbish, Garbodor, Pelipper, Masquerain, Hariyama, Drifblim, Delcatty, Electrike, Manectric, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Trapinch, Staraptor, Drapion, Toxicroak, Gliscor, Sigilyph, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Golurk, Braviary, Mandibuzz and Volcarona.

On the other hand, I love how much more hilarious Psyduck, Alomomola and Oddish's cries became in this game. And I don't really mind Pikachu's anime voice being used as it's cry. It's still cute as it is. Chatot however still sounds like its cry was completely unchanged.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I always played with the sound off until recently so I never really noticed. In fact until reading this thread I thought that only Charizard and Pikachu got new cries.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I didn't realize so many were revamped, particularly Kyogre's. D: Any good comparison videos out there?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I hadn't noticed much difference, but I'm sure they've made these changes for the better, so I honestly have nothing to say against them, really! Like Death, Pikachu's cry did come as a shocker, as I wasn't at all expecting them to be using its anime voice. Do like it, though, considering it's the mascot of theirs. It does make this Pokémon stand out from others, but it's actually not much of an issue.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    I didn't realize so many were revamped, particularly Kyogre's. D: Any good comparison videos out there?
    I would like a comparison video too.

I've noticed a few different cries, yet can only remember Ekans and Minccino (maybe? or Cin?) off the top of my memory, and all of which I've dislike. I think Gen 4-6 cries are generally much better than Gen 1-3... although I've always wanted the old cries to be revamped, to those like Skuntank, Bronzong, Spiritomb, Kricketune... but from the few I've heard, none have really improved imo. :\

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Pikachu's cry is just so out of place. Everything else, #shrugs, I don't really care too much, but Pikachu is just so random :\

Mr.Wurmple

Advanced Wurmple Trainer
    Years
    I also think they are weird. I actually released a Pikachu, because I thought it was hacked
    -_- *Realizes the new cries*

Years
    I'm with the majority here - I hated most of the new cries. Staraptor for one was disappointing that they got rid of that piercing cry, and when I heard Kyogre's I was like "what the f***?!?!" Chandelure was another one I was disappointed with what they did to it. So yeah, i'm not one for the new cries compared to most of the old ones.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I absolutely hated them. Everything sounded like they were drowning underwater, gargled to the point that I could barely recognise the Pokemon the cry belonged to. I don't see why Pikachu has its anime cry now, I actually liked its in game cry better.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    Ugh, I absolutely hate the new cry revamps. I was so used to the old ones that, more often than not, I could tell which pokemon was which. Now? I just really don't like the way any of them sound.

Pikachu's is amusing, though. Brings back old Yellow version memories.

Back