• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Question] Novice questions

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2021
    My son is 8 years old and likes Pokemon (video games, books, tv shows, cards). He has seen youtube videos of people making their own games and has asked me for help. I have looked at these videos by Thundaga, Jephed, but am having some trouble getting started. I am tech literate but have no programming experience. I have a current mac and a 6 year old PC running Windows 10. I downloaded RPG Maker XP from Steam to my PC, then downloaded Pokemon Essentials v18.1 and extracted the files. I can now run Pokemon Essentials in RPG Maker XP and do a "Playtest." I'd prefer to use Mac, but my understanding is that RPG Maker is not compatible with Mac unless I run a PC emulator software. A few questions:
    --are we in over our heads--is programming experience necessary to make a game?
    --where can I find a step by step tutorial for a novice?
    --is this the appropriate forum to ask these types of questions?

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2021
    I can only answer the first question, but answer it I shall:
    Programming experience shouldn't be necessary unless you plan on adding new mechanics, and even then the simpler ones should be easy(ish) to work out based on the existing ones.
    Outside of adding scripts, the most complex parts would be coding events, which are very intuitive for the most part. For the other part, there's handy examples provided in the maps that come prepackaged.

Years
    I would also like to expand on Black Temple Gaurdian's post.
    While programming experience isn't necessary unless you want to add new mechanics, it's a great place to start learning how to program if you are ever interested. Pokemon Essentials in RPG Maker XP was the first time I had ever looked at a script or tried to modify code, plus there are people here that are willing to help if you have any questions.

Thundaga is a great learning resource for the RPG Maker interface and how to create events, but for Ruby (the programing language RPG Maker XP uses) Marin has written a great tutorial here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=410026

This is the correct forum for anything Pokemon Essentials or questions related to it. Feel free to ask away!

Back