• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Now that you've played B/W...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
  • SS/Hg is my favorite atm on graphics and new features but as far as pokemon that you can obtain, Sinnoh games will be my favortie for now untill we see what 6th gen brings.

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • I'm always gonna like Johto and Kanto better than anything but with Unova is pretty damn close...
    Having said that I haven't resumed my adventures 'n' stuff in Johto even though I've got loads of stuff to do! xD (Like grinding for the second E4 and finally getting round to Red)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I still find the controls of Hg/Ss (permanent touch-screen menu options) easier to use. And the way it's all so colourful in comparison with the (understandably) darker Black and White makes me feel happy.

The graphics are still good, although the 3D bits do look horrendous (i.e. Olivine Lighthouse, although that looked bad compared to most of Gen III anyway), and the B/W graphics are better. Noises such as running water are much more obvious in Hg/Ss, which I like. Unique things such as pokémon following you, eyecatches, changeable pokémon due to daytime...they make me love Hg/Ss.

The seasons do set Black/White apart, however. Although I find winter just feels...wrong, most of the time.
    One thing they have in common is the amazing amount of post-E4 activities :)

The only irritating thing about it is the horrendous lack of variety of pokémon until you have 2 badges (because after that you have access to everywhere between Route 29 and Route 36), but that's not something that makes it feel old...just makes me glad they did better with BW.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    Now that you mention it...

It seems like ages since these were released even though it has only been about a year and Black and White have only been released for a little over a month.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I haven't officially fully played BW yet (Helped on my friend's pokemon white for beating E4... without knowing types it was hard but I still did it anyways), But I'm going to buy pokemon black and will get started on playing once I can fill my national dex on SS :D

Is pokemon black at least worth playing though? The last time I actually played a 1st or 2nd game in a generation (not the remakes) is pokemon ruby, and its post-E4 game was disappointing...

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Personally, I think Heart Gold and Soul Silver look stunning, the tiles are just amazing. Hg/Ss are still better graphically, if you don't count the changing perspective and seasons of B/W. The tiles in B/W have more depth..but they aren't as pretty.

I still love me some Johto though!

Last edited:

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Not really. I find the graphics to be a little bland now (the same can be said for all the previous games now...) but other than that, SoulSilver is still my favorite game of the DS generation. Pokemon Black is a great game, don't get me wrong... but something about SoulSilver has me hooked. It's lasting playability is a lot stronger for me. I can deal with the old graphics simply because I love the old gameplay. :P

I agree. The game has loads more playability than B/W. Two Riegons to play through just offers massive game time :D My cosin has play this game more than 130 hours...That was the last time I saw him..He's probably gotten 140 by now..

OFF QUOTE:
    I feel weird going back to the 2nd gen, after playing ahead in 5th gen. I felt weird being able to OHKO every person with ease, even Mr. Upgraded Lance.
    When I went back to play B/W...I felt weak o.o..So weak it made mah start me game again..

Years
  • I actually think that HG/SS looks better. I mean, the HG/SS battle sprites aren't as pixelated (I'm not sure if this is even a word but I mean that the pixels can be clearly seen in B/W) as in B/W. And B/W is also a bit slower sometimes (eg. when you're running and you encounter a wild Pokemon there's like a two or three seconds long gap between the player stopping and the start of the battle).
    And I can barely look at the Castelia City's skyline...

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • The strangest thing for me is coming back to find that the Pokemon don't move in battle. I kinda want to poke them and make sure they're not dead, y'know?

And lots of people (here and irl) are complaining about the graphics. I showed White to some more casual players at school, and they were all 'aww, f*** that, that looks like s***, bro' (actual quote, sadly -_-;;;). I don't see the problem. For me, it's an acceptable trade-off. I don't look too much at my Pokemon's backsprites when battling.

Although, they screwed up my favourite Pokemon's backsprite badly. My Dragonite just derps around on the screen like 'HURR DURR IMMA DWAGON'. :(

But yeah, that's the biggest difference for me when I come back to my SS.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've actually gone back to play Soul Silver, Platinum, and Leaf Green after finishing White, and I'm playing the old games more than the new ones. The graphics may not be as pretty but I wouldn't use the term "dated" for them (well, maybe for LG). There's something about all three of those games which draws me back, something that B/W lack. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play through Soul Silver again (because I'll need to move a whole lot of Pokemon before starting a new save file) but if I could, chances are I'd be enjoying the experience more than B/W.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • Im gonna move all my pokemon to b/w and then breed some pokemon, trade back to SS and then start again.

Graphics doesn't bother me.
    I miss playing it :P

poopydude

PKMN Master
    Years
  • I perfer HG and SS over Black and White. HG and SS gave me the nostalgia factor it allowed me to think back to when i was a kid and i used to watch the pokemon anime with my ash ketchum hat and when i had all of those little pokemon plushies around my room and when i collected all of the cards. to sum it up HG and SS made me feel young again and i never got that feeling with black and white. Black and white were the first pokemon games that i didn't buy the first day they came out, where i never bothered to learn all of the new pokemon's names.

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
  • HGSS doesn't feel old to me, it just feels less dynamic in battles. I mean, the animation and graphics for the scenery was quite phenomenal for the DS. The path to the Burnt Tower with the falling Autumn leaves still is something that was capital for me.

In saying so, my SS has all my (and my sister's) important Pokemon ported onto it so I don't know about restarting it anytime soon. I'm restarting Platinum instead. But I still do ask the gym leaders for a rematch in SS, I love that about that game.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Does anyone still play HG/SS?

I find it better then Black and White because the old pokemon look cool and you get two regions in this game while in other games you only get one region, Just wish we has the VS seeker in this game through :(

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I will play Black and White soon just so I can talk about the game, When you think about it all games were good in the own way like sinnoh :)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The last time I've played HGSS was in order to get an event GameStop was having. I haven't since then, and I even still have yet to complete the games too. D8

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back