• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NPC Event, how to move an NPC to another spot and keep them there and how to send them through a door?

Years
  • Hey there,

I´m currently working on my very first own Fan Game. ;)
    I already started experimenting with Pokémon Essentials and even managed to create the intro screen and a few basic events. Well, I just started learning. Now, I have two problems that keep me from continuing my project. Maybe someone here can help me?

First, I need a script for or a description on how to create the following event: I talked to an NPC who was supposed to block a door until I received my first Pokémon. Now that I have that Pokémon, I want the NPC to step to the side and remain there, maybe say something else than before. This, I already managed, but I must have made a mistake, because when I leave the house and enter it again, that NPC is back in front of the door and since I already have my Pokémon, he does no longer react in any way. What can I do, to keep the NPC from returning to the point, where I originally planted the event?

Secondly I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me with the following event. I want an NPC to leave through a door, after I talked to him. How do I do that? I mean, I already set his move route but he ends up in front of the door and that's it. :(

Can anybody please help me out?

Thank you very much for any helpful advice! :)

Best wishes Cary-Ina

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    You don't need really need 'scripts' to do most of the things you described - it can be done just using events, switches, and the pbSetSelfSwitch command. Create a switch that you turn on after you receive your first Pokemon, then make one NPC event for the initial conversation and then a second event for where you want it to move to and stay. Make what the first event does dependent on that global switch. If it's 'on' (ie you have a pokemon), tell the event to move to the side and activate its own selfswitch to disappear. At the same time, turn on the self switch of the second NPC event on to make it appear. Even though they're two different events, if you execute it right they will look like the one same NPC, and the change will be permanent (but not irreversible). This is pretty much what eventing is - making stuff look like it all flows together.

You should look at Atomic Reactor's youtube tutorials on how to make a game, because they cover pretty much all of this basic stuff. If anything I've said doesn't make sense, please watch the videos first then ask because they'll define it all for you.

Here's the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuSD3GUanw

Sir_Tman

Overworked game Dev
    Years
  • On another page
    Set the variable PlayerHasPokemon=<1 or something like that
    Then set move route to to move left or right 1 space and don't tick repeat.
    If you don't get what I mean i'll post a screenshot later i'm currently at work.

Years
  • Hey guys,
    Thank you so much for your quick answer. I got it now! You were right. I did not need any script. I managed it with an Event and Control Switches.
    But do you know how to have an NPC walk into a house? For example, after I talked to an NPC inside the house, I'd like another NCP to storm into the room and tell me something important. Any ideas? I mean the Event (NPC) that comes through the door must be invisible before they step into the room, right? How do I do that?

Thanks again for your earlier advices!
    Best wishes Cary-Ina

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I think you'd be better off looking for some RMXP tutorials. What you've been asking for has all been basic RMXP skills, which you should have before you start using Essentials.

Back