• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen NPCs can have Shinies!?

Zenite

the Pokemon Trainer
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Wtf, I am battling these bug catchers in Eterna Forest, and one of them just threw out a shiny Burmy >_>. Anyone ever experienced this?

BTW, this is in Platinum.

Zenite

the Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    This is in Platinum. I saw a brown Burmy and owned it then the trainer threw out a Shiny Burmy. Its shiny is a purplish color isn't it? The pokemon didn't sparkle but was that purple color.

Yes, an NPC is a non-player character.

Ultra Ball X

Certified Ultra Ball
    Years
  • NPC is a computer player or a non player character. you proabably saw one of its different forms cuz Burmy have 3 different forms I believe.

Years
  • I have heard of it, but only once. Wally's Ralts. That really sucks. :3
    Oh, actually, I have heard Rental Pokémon in Emerald/Platinum can be shiny, as well as Pokémon from Trainers in the D/P Battle Tower.

Zenite

the Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    I've been trying to do some research at Serebii but it's being slow lately.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
  • Burmy has 3 different forms, so if it didn't sparkle, it wasn't a shiny. The only time I ever saw a NPC with a shiny was in the Battle Frontier.

Zenite

the Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Oh, so it's possible? Anyways, I found the three forms. I've only seen one form of Burmy so I panicked :(.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    It sounds like this Bug Catcher in Eterna Forest had a Burmy with a Trash Cloak, not a shiny.

NPCs can have Shinies!?

Credit to Serebii.

The sprites in the red boxes are shinies.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Trainers cannot have shinies unless they're programmed to have shinies. An infamous example is in the Battle Tower in FR/LG, where I believe some trainers are set to have a shiny Espeon or Seaking.

Wally's Ralts isn't set-in-stone, so it may be shiny. In addition, the wild pokemon in the Battle areas (such as the Battle Pyramid or Battle Factory) are randomly generated and could be shiny.

Either way, if it doesn't have a special star animation, it's not shiny. Don't rely on the color all of the time. This reminds me how some confuse the two different colored Shellos, lol.. And there are other sites to view sprites besides Serebii.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • More than likely, you are just seeing the trash cloak form. Or, your game may just have a glitch.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • As many of the above have said, it has to Sparkle. I never experienced this if this is true, but I don't honestly know if that can happen...

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Wtf, I am battling these bug catchers in Eterna Forest, and one of them just threw out a shiny Burmy >_>. Anyone ever experienced this?

BTW, this is in Platinum.

I believe it can happen, but I'm not sure. The game may not be able to distinguish in that case between the trainer and the opponent. I honestly don't know though.

Back