• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nuzlocke Challenge?

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2013
    Hi.

I hadn't heard about this thing called the Nuzlocke Challenge (from here on called NZ) until I watched "Professional Jared's" videos on Youtube when he's taking on the NZ.

I thought it looked interesting, so I gave it a try. Here are my "settings/rules" for it:
    *I was playing Pokemon LeafGreen.
    *If a pokemon faints it "dies", and I have to release it/permanently box it.
    *I were only allowed to capture the first pokemon encountered in a new area.
    -If I already owned/had previously owned the first pokemon that I encountered in a new area, I was allowed to capture the next pokemon (this continues until I met a pokemon that I did not own.) If the first un-owned pokemon that I met in a new area would faint or flee I was not allowed to capture any other pokemon in that entire area.
    *Mercy rules:
    -If one of my pokemons would faint due to the skills Self Destruct/Explosion I was allowed to revive it and continue using it.
    -If one of my pokemons would faint due to poison damage from walking around out in the world (not in a battle) I was allowed to revive it and continue using it.

Pretty standard set of rules, with my own twist. With these rules I was able to beat the Elite Four and become the Pokemon Champion. However I was only able to capture 47 pokemons before I ran out of areas. So I could not get the national pokedex and continue the story.
    At one point I captured a Slowbro. Later I captured a Slowpoke. I levelled up my Slowpoke and evolved it into a Slowbro. When I beat the Elite Four I had two Slowbros in my lineup.

Here are my questions:
    1. Do you think I have completed the Nuzlocke Challenge?
    I feel uncertain because I made a few mercy rules for myself and then I had two Slowbros in the end (which goes against the "duplicate rule".)

2. Have you beaten the Nuzlocke Challenge? What rules did you use?

3. I enjoyed doing the Nuzlocke Challenge so much that I am thinking of doing it again. Which rules do you think I should use for my second time?

Thanks in advance. =)

EDIT: I was going to link to a website explaining the Nuzlocke Challenge (for those of you who haven't heard of it) but I wasn't allowed to. So I guess you guys have to google it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2013
    1. The poison mercy rule is fine and perfectly legit. The Self-Destruct/Explosion one isn't so much because you are the one choosing to use such a move (unless it comes from Metronome then it is a grey area). As for the Slowbros that is fine because by the base rules you are likely to have multiple of the same poke. The keep trying until you find something new rule varies person to person so ignoring it is fine.

2. No I haven't beaten one but I tried one in Emerald. I had Treeko as a starter and ended up with an Aron and a Slakoth. Brawly destroyed me. It was terrible and I raged then I kept playing that save normally because I've never beaten Emerald with a Treeko. As for rules I used the same rules as you except with no mercy rules.

3. I would go mercy rule-less and try a different game. You also forgot the all Legendaries must die rules during your first playthrough. The final goals for a Nuzlocke usually are become Champion and hunt all the Legendaries.

Years
  • https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202

Click that link, and you'll see the forum is very aware of Nuzlocke Challenges. :P

But as to your mercy rules, they're very lenient to situations you should be 100% equipped to prevent.

In a Nuzlocke that doesn't ban the use of items, there is no reason why you shouldn't have an antidote on hand. All the money you would normally spend on Pokeballs would go to status healing items. And as Ferrocous said, you choose to have you Pokemon faint by using Selfdestruct, so you defeat the purpose of the Challenge by reviving Pokemon that you've willingly allowed to faint.

Also Ferrocous, the 'hunt the legendaries' rule is completely optional. As far as most are concerned, as long as the core rules are in place. That being said it is REALLY satisfying having no incentive to try to keep them at low health and just over powering them with your own team. It really makes up for all that wasted time resetting my gameboy at the age of 8 just to catch Zapdos. :D

And I just did a Nuzlocke for Yellow because I was feeling lazy and wanted all three starters. Still didn't prevent me from going through 4 Water types before beating the Elite Four. My Joseph(Blastoise), Kyle(Tentacruel), Norma(Staryu), and Danny(Gyarados) will be missed. I also had 12 Rattatas/Raticates.

Back