• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NY Governor Cuomo pushes for gender reassignment under Medicaid

Years
  • I don't know. I think there needs to be some significant form of oversight. It's not as black and white as everyone's making it. I think there are certainly a lot of good, rational people who could legitimately benefit from this kind of thing. I also think there are others for whom what they really need is professional mental help. I think there are a nontrivial number of people who have existing mental distress that could lead them to desire this kind of surgery when they wouldn't in sound mind. I'm also concerned that people may get this kind of surgery, not completely think it through, and then later regret it. Remember that this kind of surgery is permanent and the brain and body basically consider it major physical trauma (which it basically is from a biological standpoint). I think significant oversight should be required for this, especially if tax money is going to it.

As far as I know, the people staffing such a hotline are trained to be able to provide other resources and advice that can help in the long-term, but I might be wrong on that.

I was talking about the suicide helpline because the poster before me made it seem like that was all you need in lieu of getting gender reassignment surgery. Like that the suicides prevented by access to this kind of surgery is made null by the fact that we have these helplines, because apparently they do just as good of a job of stopping trans people from killing themselves as does getting proper medical assistance and being able to ameliorate the actual source of their dysphoria. Helplines are not a cure. They only delay the inevitable if the source of one's misery is not addressed.

Anyway, there's already a lot of regulations on this sort of thing. For instance, before you can even start hormone replacement therapy, you have to have been living as the gender you want to reassign yourself to for a year. You have to get a referral from a therapist stating you've done that and everything. Iirc very few people ever regret changing their gender. I don't see that being a problem.

Last edited:
    Years
  • lol I highly doubt that the medicaid program of one of the US's largest and wealthiest states can be completely unraveled by a mere handful of gender reassignment surgeries. Donahue is also a social conservative demagogue who likes to stir the pot every now and then for kicks.

I would imagine that with all kinds of invasive surgeries, that there would be ample oversight and typical medical industry "red-tape" to dissuade any doubters from having the surgeries. On top of the pre-operation hormone therapies and whatnot. Not sure why that's an issue. I can't just sit down one day and decide to have major surgery, of any kind, done to my person.

Back