• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obesity goes up world wide!!!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I read an article today saying that half a billion people in the world are Obese! that's around 1/14th of the current population which is equal to the size of the United States! What do you think needs to be done with this rising thread? How can poor countries give their citizens awareness? What could this mean for the world if it continues in it's current thread?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    What this means is that I, being skinny and whatnot, will suddenly become awesomely attractive :P

Well, it'll certainly have an effect on anorexia. Either, because obesity is more normal, people will feel less pressured to be super-skinny, or it'll go the other way and more people will become obsessed with their figure.

[minor racism / xenophobia / political incorrectness]I guess 13/14th of the obese people are in the United States? :P[/minor racism / xenophobia / political incorrectness]

Well, at the moment I doubt most poor countries need awareness, as they're all starving/malnourished anyway, but once we start to solve poverty, we should educate them like we do most people in the western world (in Britain anyway)

Years
    Poor countries need food, or did I read wrong? How can they be fat, they're dying of starvation.

Well friends, there's only one way to stop this:

Take away fattening food and drinks for 20 years, and we'll figure out how to give them they're fat later.

Years
    Poor countries need food, or did I read wrong? How can they be fat, they're dying of starvation.

Well friends, there's only one way to stop this:

Take away fattening food and drinks for 20 years, and we'll figure out how to give them they're fat later.

The industrialized nations of the world and their large populations are skewing the results.

Last edited:

Years

The industrialized nations of the world and their large populations are slewing the results.
    Correct, most of these people are from the US, Canada, Austrilia, the Uk and other parts of Europe. The nations with the lowest BMI were in Africa (due to malnourishment) and South east Asia (due to low quick carb diet and/or malnutrition)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years

Correct, most of these people are from the US, Canada, Austrilia, the Uk and other parts of Europe. The nations with the lowest BMI were in Africa (due to malnourishment) and South east Asia (due to low quick carb diet and/or malnutrition)

..Australia is rather fat, coming from an Australian. The doors are fairly wide, too.
    But, being kinda skinny (and the fact I play video games more than I exersize) I'm rather confused about how I can still fit on seats in aeroplanes.

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
    ..Australia is rather fat, coming from an Australian. The doors are fairly wide, too.
    But, being kinda skinny (and the fact I play video games more than I exersize) I'm rather confused about how I can still fit on seats in aeroplanes.
    Australian people aren't so fat. :/ I live in Australia and at school, I can hardly ever see any fat people and if i do, they are only a bit chubby.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    Australian people aren't so fat. :/ I live in Australia and at school, I can hardly ever see any fat people and if i do, they are only a bit chubby.

I'm probably just over exaggerating, after all, the land of sun and surf should be healthy :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The solution is simple, bring back rationing.
    But that means all the greedy people around will start complaining that it's going against their 'human rights' and the government is only ruthless when they think they can come up with a cop out explanation. So this will never be solved.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    The problem is really that people are making poor choices. You can blame it on feeling "sad" or "stressed" or whatever. But the fact of the matter is that -you- yourself are picking up not-so-nutritious food and putting it into your mouth. As impossibly hard as it can be for some people to find the willpower, they kinda need to restrain themselves. Let's face it, tasty junk food only tastes good for the few moments it's in your mouth, then it's done and over with. So why not replace those tiny moments of bliss with something healthy and find other avenues of happiness?

I personally fear for the world in its growing state of obesity. Not only am I scared for the individuals who are harmed through this, but wtf, we ("we" as in Americans, Europeans, apparently Australians, w/e) should you know, share, for Christ's sake? :/ We obviously have more than enough to go around, so why not deposit a fair chunk of our food onto less fortunate countries, at the very least.

Oh sorry, but I forgot about the fit people will throw at losing their precious McDonald's and Wendy's. <-< And since people in America especially are so sue-happy (don't bite me, I'm American too), it's no wonder something like that hasn't been done already.

Years
    The problem is really that people are making poor choices. You can blame it on feeling "sad" or "stressed" or whatever. But the fact of the matter is that -you- yourself are picking up not-so-nutritious food and putting it into your mouth. As impossibly hard as it can be for some people to find the willpower, they kinda need to restrain themselves. Let's face it, tasty junk food only tastes good for the few moments it's in your mouth, then it's done and over with. So why not replace those tiny moments of bliss with something healthy and find other avenues of happiness?

I personally fear for the world in its growing state of obesity. Not only am I scared for the individuals who are harmed through this, but wtf, we ("we" as in Americans, Europeans, apparently Australians, w/e) should you know, share, for Christ's sake? :/ We obviously have more than enough to go around, so why not deposit a fair chunk of our food onto less fortunate countries, at the very least.

Oh sorry, but I forgot about the fit people will throw at losing their precious McDonald's and Wendy's. <-< And since people in America especially are so sue-happy (don't bite me, I'm American too), it's no wonder something like that hasn't been done already.
    I agree and have wondered why we don't share more of our food either with the too skiny people...:\

Yukimi

Nautical Star
    Years
    You mean to tell me America isn't the only country with a weight problem?! :cer_disbelief:

People need to exercise and watch what they eat. Everyone knows how to be thin, most just don't want to work for it. It's a sad, politically incorrect reality, but most people are just lazy and unmotivated.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Why does it matter? Overeating and not exercising are lifestyle decisions. If that's how someone wants to live, that's their decision. Stop trying to force people to live the way you think they should.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years

but fruit should cover sweets, as sugar does originate from fruit (or something).
    I actually think pineapple is sweeter than most crap covered in sugar, plus it's healthy :) .

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Well we can't force people to stop eating and start exercising. Even though it's an unhealthy choice, it's how they choose to live. So sure, it may be a problem, but in most cases, people choose to let themselves blow up like that.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    Well we can't force people to stop eating and start exercising. Even though it's an unhealthy choice, it's how they choose to live. So sure, it may be a problem, but in most cases, people choose to let themselves blow up like that.

you know, once they start exercising they would probably enjoy life more :/
    but you're probably right :P .

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I think it has a lot to do with the economy crashing. If people need a quick bite to eat somewhere, fatty fast food is much cheaper than a nice cafe sandwich in most places. A lot of people don't really know how to cook for themselves either.. and a lot of stuff is becoming much more "prepackaged" and with a lot of preservatives added to keep freshness in. :C I remember when I went to visit the UK a chocolate bar there was like 48p (which is like 70 cents) and at my school cafeteria (a place that should be cheaper for students) a banana is like $1.50 and a simple tuna sandwich on a baguette with lettuce is $4.89 :/..

A lot of people can't afford the time or a membership at the gym because in some places, because of the sheit economy :/ People can argue that they can make the time but gyms are still hella expensive. And "taking a walk" doesn't do enough for someone that size with that type of nutritional intake.

I agree and have wondered why we don't share more of our food either with the too skiny people...

Because it costs money and resources to ship it over there. That's why there are food banks and charities. The government has enough to take care of here.. unless you want them to raise the taxes even more..

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    In America's case (being or soon coming out of a recession), people are choosing food which is more affordable. Think about it: big name corporations such as McDonalds are selling $0.99 burgers for approximately 390 calories, while healthier places such as Whole Foods is extremely expensive. If these corporations could somehow change their menus to be a little bit more healthier, or make healthier products more affordable, things might possibly get better.

Oh, and fifteen percent of children are overweight. Wonderful.

Back