• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obtained the TM45!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Do you like TM/HMs, or would you rather your Pokemon learn level up moves over the machine moves? Do you go around searching for them or would you rather hack them into the games? Which is your favorite TM/HM? Which game(s) had your favorite list of TM/HMs?

I like TM/HMs a lot and sometimes prefer them over some level up moves. Personally Attract is my favorite move, so to be able to have it available to teach to which ever Pokemon i want when I want them to is great!

I love going in my White version and searching everywhere for them. It makes me feel like a treasure hunter. For other games, I'd rather just hack them in lol.
    Personally I liked the fact you got to keep them after using them, but I like a few of the fourth generation TMs more than I do the fifth's, and I like most of the first generation's more than I do some of the second-fifth's.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • TMs are really useful, tbh. I use them A LOT. Whenever I don't have the patience to wait for a Pokemon to level up at a certain level, I just give it the TM I wanted to teach and just go from there. Problem solved.

Ice Beam, Payback, Thunder, Solarbeam, and Retaliate are a few of my favorite (and commonly used) TMs that I have in White, and some of those TMs in Soulsilver.

The unfortunate part for TMs for games earlier than B/W is that you can only use them once. When B/W came out you can use them whenever, which is ...awesoooome.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I prefer TM's. Sometimes I don't have the patience to wait 35 more levels for a Pokemon to learn a move I want, and in B/W the scarcity issue is rendered moot with unlimited use TM's. Even back in the day of only one time use, I did find having TM's helpful.

Plus many of the Pokemon I use have bad natural learn sets, so TM's become a necessity at that point.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Level up moves take too long to learn. Some Pokemon don't even learn good moves through leveling, like Earthquake, so I rely on TM's quite a bit. The same goes with move tutors.

BW definitely had my favorite TM's, because they lasted and didn't consume on use. Specifically talking about moves, I don't have a favorite game for TM's.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2017
    i think B/W having reusable TMs makes a LOT more sense than how the system used to work...it makes training/team making a whole lot easier and fun. takes the pain out of having to trade people for TMs.

really, the era of having to chainbreed a move because you accidentally taught a parent the TM before you even decided to make your team is over. :)

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I really like the new TM feature. However I still hate HMs to some extent. I wish there was a way to get around the use of HMs.

I do like how there's much less mandatory use of HMs in Gen 5.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I LOVE TMs. If a Pokemon is going to learn a TM move level up though, I'll usually just wait on the level up, though in gen V that doesn't really apply anymore haha. But anyway yeah, I prefer TMs to level up moves. My favorite move, Flamethrower, is a TM anyway, so lol. TMs give Pokemon a chance to learn stuff that's out of the ordinary and that they don't get the chance to learn through leveling up, or sometimes breeding. So yeah, they bring flavor and variety and better coverage. :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I love TMs so much. In Pokemon whose 'natural' movesets are kinda crappy but still have good stats, they become a godsend in making them usable. If there's a move that a critter will learn via levelling up, I'll probably wait until that level... but that's mainly from my irrational belief from a looooooong time ago that moves learned naturally were stronger than TMs. I know, completely irrational, but it's stuck with me. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I use TMs/HMs when any of my Pokemon need a strong STAB move, when they need a move to deal with Pokemon of other types or, in the case of HMs, need to get around the region more easily.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    The only TM's I went out of my way to get was the punches in G/S/C, other then that I just got GYM ones.

Years
  • I enjoy TMs. Thunder is definitely my favorite. I'm a huge electric pokemon-user. I have at least one in every game I play and it's usually the highest leveled. I may be the only one here, but I DISLIKE the ability to use the TMs over and over again in Gen V. I'm a classics kind of guy. I'd rather people have to work to save up the money to buy the good moves (Hyper Beam, anyone?) at the Department Store if you choose to use it on a certain pokemon.
    HMs are annoying because most of them are awful to use in battle. >.<

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I certainly use TMs (and have since the GSC days when I could easily clone them as well, haha), although I don't normally bother (bar in BW) if it's a level up move.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    I like them I only wish like everyone that HMs can be forgotten without going to the move deleter.

Years
  • Until B/W and their wonderful infinite use TMs I almost never bothered to use them because I like to change my teams around a lot and a pokemon I give a move to one day may not interest me the next and then that TM is gone for good. Now I use them all the time and sometimes change the movesets around completely just for the fun of something different if I can just change them back later.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I like them I only wish like everyone that HMs can be forgotten without going to the move deleter.

Three problems with this imo, one, kinda fixed but not with HMs yet, is someone could teach the pokemon a move via TM/HM to replace the learned HM move, then relearn it....unlimited PP. Two, A player could just teach pokemon an HM move on the fly, go past an object, then remove the lame HM move with a TM. With the right pokemon one could bypass most obstacles with one single pokemon on the fly, while keeping a decent moveset. Third, what if some idiot stored their HMs, surfed somewhere, and made their pokemon forget surf? They'd be stuck.

As for my opinion on TMs/HMs, they're convient, but I wish there was a way to more naturely teach your pokemon special moves (like train/teach them how yourself) But for now, Machines will have to do.

Years
  • I loved how Black & White made TMs reusable but they got rid of some of the awesome ones. At least they kept some popular ones around.

Kae Kyo

you're like oxygen to me.
    Years
  • I loved the infinite amount of TMs in B/W, I change movesets so often and with eariler games, it'd just be a waste of a TM. Although, I do wish that we could manually remove HMs from movesets instead of having to hunt down the Move Deleter. I mainly use Ice Beam, Thunder, and Psychic. I actually do go TM hunting a few times through out my gameplay. :3

Years
  • I love TM's. Definitely allow pokes to learn types of moves that can really make a broader move set. I don't usually use them to replace if the pokemon learns it by leveling up, however.

Years
  • I like TM's. They sure do help a lot. I use them a lot. I'm impatient when it comes to waiting for a pokemon to learn a specific move. If I have the TM, might as well use it!

Back