• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OCD and Tourettes

Years
    When I was 14 I had a major breakdown and was diagnosed with OCD and Tourettes. I have now had it for almost 11 years and it is awful. So... I am just prewarning you, if I seem to me a lille uptight don't take it to heart. I am a very friendly loving down to earth guy who just has a few problems. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Chyeah...maybe we could turn this into a thread about being able to relate? Because my life is plagued with little OCD quirks. I have aplastic anemia which causes a bit of twitching...but that's not even close to Tourettes.

Pikachu-dance!

Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott :)
    Years
    I have OCD but not tourettes i dont have OCD relly badly which means not touching things and that kinda stuff but i really dont like dirt and getting dirty and i wash my hands loads among other little things which mean i have OCD which is not a big problem. Most people in Great Britain have some sort of mental disorder or disability so i dont feel stupid or dumb or weird.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I can relate somewhat. I was diagnosed with OCD, ADHD, and Aspergers (a high functioning form of autism FYI). I used to be REALLY bad with all 3 but since high school, I've calmed down somewhat.

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    I have Aspergers and Tourettes.

My tourettes isn't that bad at all though. Just some small twitches.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
    Years
    I had heavy ocd when I was a teen, and still have sociophobia. I'm on therapy since I was 12 and afraid to die. For a long time, I couldn't do things wich just one side of my body (weirdo!), like covering my mouth to cough (I'd put my other hand on my mouth immediately after coughing...). Nowadays I do realize since two years ago or so I've been unleashing my ocd on my eating habits (not anything with being a vegan though, I've been vegan way longer), what's not bad at all, at least it gives me a nice physique and I don't feel the urge to touch cars in movement :nervous:

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    I can't remember. It was so long ago I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed at age... 7 or 8... I can't remember much from back then. XD

Just making sure. The two disorders you mentioned are ridiculously common self-diagnoses (see the other thread on this page for proof).

Just because you have some strange habits does NOT mean you have OCD, people.

Just because you're introverted does NOT mean you have Asperger's Syndrome, people.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    I can relate somewhat. I was diagnosed with OCD, ADHD, and Aspergers (a high functioning form of autism FYI). I used to be REALLY bad with all 3 but since high school, I've calmed down somewhat.

I was diagnosed with high functioning autism, an intellectual disability, ADHD and a learning disability. (I bolded the others because SOME people only see the Autism part and get all offended and talk **** about me. >_>)

But I know what you are going through. I was diagnosed with ADHD and a slow learning disability in 2nd grade and High Functioning Autism and an intellectual disability at nine. I've been in therapy now so my coping skills are getting much better. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    lawl I have a lot of obsessive compulsive stuff. I'm going to try to get some medication for it once I find a psychiatrist I like. Not claiming that it is disorder level though, I'll echo "The Scientist"s sentiments about that. Technically it's only a disorder if it gets in the way of you living and leading a normal life :x

I have to like look at every dish/cup/whateva I take out of the cupboard before I use it and if I see anything that looks like a spot of something on it I won't use it lol. It really annoys my family because I'll put like half the washed dishes back in the sink because I refuse to use them :<

My life is also full of hand sanitizers (one by my desk, one by my bed, one in my man bag, one in my car) because I haaaaaaaate germs. It's unrealistic but I feel like I can feel them on me so it causes me to like go overboard on handwashing any anti-microbial steps. Also... touching metal. For some reason I don't like to touch metal things such as railings.

I also have a whole craplist of numbers which I "like" and "dislike" and will purposefully do things in accordance with said list. Especially when I'm at the gas pump. I'll sit there until I get it to an acceptable number.

Def not bad with social things though ~:3 I dated a guy with diagnosed aspergers. He was pretty cool. And really weird. In a cool way haha.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    Just making sure. The two disorders you mentioned are ridiculously common self-diagnoses (see the other thread on this page for proof).

Just because you have some strange habits does NOT mean you have OCD, people.

Just because you're introverted does NOT mean you have Asperger's Syndrome, people.
    LOL. Yes I was professionally diagnosed by 3 different psychiatrists so it's very official. That much I remember. My mom felt retardedly stupid when I was diagnosed because she kept wondering "wth is wrong with my kid?". Turns out it's Asperger's. The reason my mom felt so stupid is because she studied psychology. She even had the latest DSM IV book. First diagnosis in the book: Asperger's.

As for my OCD. I don't even notice it until other people point it out. When bored, I clean religiously and I'm very anal about alot of things. Like because of my OCD and my obsession with car engineering (Which I've studied since I was 3), I absolutely won't ride in or be caught dead in anything made by Honda. I'd rather walk 5 miles home in the middle of a blizzard I'm so anal about that. Other little things too like all our dishes, I have to wash twice before I use them, I'm VERY anal about what I wear (must be comfy and at least somewhat gothic. hate dress shoes and won't wear them longer than I have to.), and Oh don't get me started on washing my car.

It's a freaking nightmare. I can spend an entire day just washing it, not even getting to the waxing/polishing because I wash it over and over to make sure there are no water marks. This has to be done on a cloudy day as, even dirty (it's a white car and it gets so dirty you can run your hand down the side and it'll be covered in a black grease that you won't even notice on the car), the "Bright White" (I'm not joking, that's the name of the paint color) paint is SO BRIGHT, I have to look away in bright light because it's that blinding. Then the next day, the car spends 5 hours on a jack, while I clean each rim individually and rigorously with an entire box of SOS pads. This also has to be done on a cloudy day because I have painted rims. a rare stock option. And then there's the washing and polishing which takes me 2 days to finish because I'm so anal about it.

And my car's just the start of it. I could rant on forever but I think I'll stop here.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
    I have OCD, with a few things, closed windows, locked doors, plugs, anything that heats up, the oven, taps.

I'm also paranoid, so it doesnt help. And I have an overactive imagination, even worse.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    There is a kid in my mom's class who has tourettes.

Everyone makes fun of the EC kids at my school. It isn't right.

My cousin Anthony is Autistic and the girl I baby sit has shaken baby syndrome.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    There is a kid in my mom's class who has tourettes.

Everyone makes fun of the EC kids at my school. It isn't right.

My cousin Anthony is Autistic and the girl I baby sit has shaken baby syndrome.

Yep, we live in a terrible world of misunderstood people who can't except those who are just different, whether its because of race, gender, sexuality, disability or even religion. D: I got teased when I was younger. I got teased by my whole CLASS. But as I got older it made me stronger and I just ignored it. None of the teachers did anything so I had no choice.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I had a breakdown last year, mid-term, which was tied up with living with abusive housemates and being exhausted all the time from their stupid drunken shenanigans. But when I went to see my family's psychiatrist I was diagnosed with depression and a severe anxiety disorder (both of which run strongly in both sides of my family), which made both of my parents a bit :x because they'd lived with depression and depressives and hadn't noticed the signs in me. The first few weeks on anti-depressants...do not want, never, ever again. I can see why they won't give certain types (such as Citalopram) to people with suicidal temperaments. -.-

My anxiety disorder is getting a lot better, but SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder; no, I haven't been officially diagnosed on that one, but again it runs in the family so I really wouldn't be surprised if I had it 'properly') has now kicked in and I'm tired and grouchy all of the time. Not to mention the insomnia. NO GO AWAY. NIGHT IS FOR SLEEPS. :|

Anyway, that's enough about me. My best wishes go out to everybody on this thread who is a sufferer or who has loved ones who suffer. <3

Back