• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Of Hullaboo Galore and Wacky Festives (Contestshipping One-Shot)

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2006
    (Note to Everyone: This is the Entry One-Shot to the Serebiiforums Comedy One-Shot Contest. The Head Judge Ice King had suggested me to post it here and supply them the link as my entry email setting out had technical difficulties. So if you are from Serebiiforums, LEAVE NOW and click the back button as you are NOT meant to read this yet! For everyone else, enjoy the wonder goodness of Contestshipping.)

Rating: K+

Of Hullabaloo Galore and Wacky Festives

Propping her elbows on the desk, May blew at a stray strand of hair in front of her face, looking out of the window at the vast azure sky. The leaves of the trees swayed gently in the wind as the birds poised on its branches chirped blissfully, making the environment so peaceful and amiable that lured May out of reality. May's eyelids grew heavy and fluttered, and she was so close to entering her dream world when… …

"… … The annual Costume Party next week. Please prepa… …" May did not wait for the teacher to finish his sentence. The Costume Party! That's her favourite event of the year! "… … Remember, you can only dress as a fairytale character!" Yeah yeah I know, just the old rules… May's eyes sparkled with excitement, as she remembered what happened during that enthralling event this year.

Flashback

"And the Costume Queen for this year is… … May Maple, dressed as the stunning and gorgeous Snow White!" The whole school broke out in applause for the new Costume Queen, as May walked proudly up the stage and bowed, grinning from ear to ear. She did a catwalk across the stage before joining the Costume King, Drew, at one end of the stage.

"Presenting our new Costume King and Queen!" Both May and Drew bowed, which earned another round of applause from the school. Keeping the cheeky grin on her face, May turned and faced Drew… …

……When the ceiling above her started to swirl dangerously and she saw nothing but stars above her head. Mumbling incoherently under her breath in her semi-conscious state, May slowly succumbed to the darkness… …

End Flashback

May frowned. Well okay, the Costume Party was fun except for the part when she fainted after she saw how hot Drew was. There was nothing on her mind except for the words "HAWT! HAWT! HAWT!" She wanted to thank Misty initially after the Costume Party, not for the wonderful costume she made, but for changing the Costume Queen winner on the list. May cackled evilly as she recalled how she managed to get the title 'Costume Queen'. The host, Brock, had eyes so small that May doubted he could have seen anything more than five feet away. So, May took advantage of that fact.

Nah. This year was going to be different. May shall be the Costume Queen once again, without making a fool of herself. And she's going to win fair and square. She no longer wanted to be a 'cheater bug'.

A ring of the school bell signalled the end of the lesson. May hastily packed her books and prepared to rush home, wanting to devise a perfect plan to win the costume competition this year. She smirked at the thought of walking across the stage again, drowning in envious gazes from many other students. Tough luck for them, as long as May remained in the school, no one else would ever get the title of 'Costume Queen'. Most importantly, she could win Drew's heart.

"OW! Watch where you're going, you klutz!" Harley bellowed. Apparently, May was so deep in her thoughts that she took no notice of the approaching Harley.

"Oh, sorry." May mumbled.

Wakana, who happened to be right next to him, frowned. "Well when you say sorry, you have to mean it. I bet you're cursing and swearing at me under that 'sorry', you stupid klutz. Humph. So let me tell you, don't be too cocky, Snow White, for I will be the Costume Queen this year! Mwahahahaha! I think I definitely deserved the place last year, as I, for one, will never faint on the stage, unlike you!" and then in a much smaller voice, she added, "I know Drew is hot, but don't you think he's too hot for you? You might burn yourself!"

May turned as red as a tomato, but she managed to compose herself. Snickering, May retorted, "What makes you think you are capable of getting the title? With your stupid, old fairy godmother costume? Please! You will never be Cinderella!" With that, May stormed off.

"Wait and see… you just wait and see… I'll make sure that you won't get the title this year, if that's the last thing I do!" Wakana muttered, as her eyes bore holes into May's retreating back.

"Calm down darling dear, I'm sure you will win! Just as I'm going to be this year's Costume King! Mwahahaha!" assured Harley as Wakana whacked him on the head.

"No you're not! Drew is!" glaring Wakana, so fiercely everyone in a five meter radius detract in fear of their lives.

"Just wait and see! I will win! I swear!"

~*~*~*~*~*

May rolled around on her bed. It appeared that she was having a trouble devising a perfect plan to win the Costume Queen title. Urgh! Why do I have to be so sure of myself? I haven't even come up with a single thing! I'll be the laughing stock of Harley, Wakana and their sidekicks if I lost…Moreover, I really want to have a chance with Drew!

Tearing at her hair in frustration, May grunted and tried to sit up, but fell from the bed instead.

"Ow! Maybe Harley is right. Maybe I am a klutz. Oh what am I going to do?" sighed May.

"You know May, if you are really concerned about that stupid Costume Contest, you could have just asked me"

"Sorry Max, it's just that, well. Never mind, you won't understand. Girls' stuff" May said in a tired voice. Max growled and opened his mouth to throw a retort but May spoke again. "How can I win the costume contest this year? Hmm, should I sabotage other contestants' costume, or should I… …"

"Well if you do want to win that badly," Max cut in, as May leaned in eagerly, thinking that Max had devised the perfect plan for her to win the competition. "All you have to do is get a ravishing costume, stand out from the rest, and you will get the Costume Queen title!"

May rolled her eyes. "Well that's what you think. It's not so easy to win through the conventional method!"

"It is," Max chimed, "That is, if you can get Misty and her crazy sisters' help."

May broke into a wide grin, patting Max on the head. "Why didn't I think of it before? You're such a genius, bud!" With that, she reached for the phone sitting innocently on her desk, and phoned the Waterflower Residence.

At the Waterflower's… …

"Ooh May! I'm so glad you came to us!" Violet said with a glint in her eye. "We're going to make you into an angelic, beauteous, bewitching, dazzling, enticing, exquisite, elegant… …"

"Okay, okay, I think she gets the point." Misty cut in curtly. Violet glared daggers at Misty; her eyes blaring dangerously, her voice also snarling dangerously. Misty quickly glared back with equal force and fire while May stared at the two.

"They're always like that May, don't bother," Daisy said in a hushed tone. The situation was dangerous; Misty and Violet looked like they could spill blood any second.

May decided to take Daisy's advice and she said, putting her hands up. "So what am I going to be?"

"Little Red Riding Hood!" Violet squealed, suddenly forgetting about the bloodshed.

"Huh? I don't see how I can win if I dress like a little girl." May frowned, and added, "Besides, how can the hooded pipsqueak be elegant?"

Violet huffed. "Well, I'm not going to help you if you don't trust my profession, or my sisters'. Remember how wonderful all our costumes look? You're never going to win without my help!"

"Okay! I surrender!" May said, holding up a white flag. "I need your help. Badly."

"That wasn't what you said earlier on!" Misty retorted.

"I'm sorry! I need your help, all of you! I know you're forgiving and compassionate, and Misty, you're my best buddy ever! Please? Puh-lease?" May pleaded, jutting out her lower lip in a pout.

"All right, I'm only doing this for you," Misty pointed a finger at May's nose.

"Me?" May said meekly.

"Yes you. Because, you are my best buddy!" Misty finished, and beamed at May, looking pleased. "Now, come in so that Daisy can take your measurements!"

May did as she was told, and stood poker straight while Daisy took her measurements. They spent the first half of the afternoon designing, and mostly arguing about the amount of glitter and sequins on the costume.

"But May! You'll look so much more dazzling and perfect if you added just a TINY bit of sequins to that corner!" Violet pleaded, gesturing to the pile of glittering bits that came up to her mid calf.

"Absolutely not! I'm to be an innocent little girl, not a disco ball!" May retorted. "I said it shall be blood red and it shall stay that way!"

But she melted and relented when the Cerulean Sisters, with the notable exception of Misty who was trying to repress her Psyduck in the corner, gazed at her with pleading eyes. "…Oh all right, I'll allow you some lace at the edge of the hood. But only the edge!" She added hastily as she saw the sparkle in the sisters' eyes coming back to life.

After a tumultuous three hours of designing, they finally came to an agreement on the costume before them.

Then came the fitting.

"OOOWWWWW!" howled May, as people living in a ten-mile radius covered their ears yet again.

"Daisy!" May screeched, stretching the last syllable for as long as she could. "That's the millionth time you've poked that needle into me!"

"Don't exaggerate," Daisy mumbled as well as she could with needles held between her lips. "It was only the thirteenth time I did so."

"Well would you like to be poked THIRTEEN TIMES with a needle, huh?"

"You wouldn't have to suffer if you haven't fidgeted so much!"

"Oh… But the fabric is ticklish!"

"Sigh… May, if you aren't going to cooperate, we won't be able to finish the costume, you know. And wouldn't you want an amazingly dazzling costume to wow the judges and DREW with? Hmm?" Misty questioned tauntingly, wiggling her eyebrows to emphasise her point. That, unfortunately, went unnoticed by May, who fell into a daze the second she heard the word Drew. Ah, that Wondrous Name!

The Crazy Cerulean Sisters then happily proceeded to nip and tuck and trim and whatever them designers did to costumes; Violet occasionally adding more lace and sequins and glitter on the costume whenever she felt sure May wouldn't notice, giving her a few jabs with the needle for good measure. It gave her an evil amusement to test how absorbed May was in her daydream of Drew, and May did really look cute with that glassy look in her eyes.

At long last, the costume was completed! The Sisters looked satisfactorily at their masterpiece, checking to make sure there was enough sparkly and frilly trimming on the costume before she proceeded to wake May up.

"Whaa-? Oh, is the hood completed?" May asked distractedly, still hypnotised by the fading image of Drew before her.

"Oh Misty, it looks beautiful! I'm sure I'll win the contest, and all thanks to you guys!" May gushed, while modelling the costume in front of the full-length mirror before her. Misty stood admiringly behind her, giggling dizzily as she gazed adoringly at the mass of twinkling extravagance at the back of the hood.
    "Oh Misty! What are you going to wear for the Costume Party?"

A little taken aback by the question, Misty hesitated, as she had planned to surprise everyone with her choice of costume on the day of the party. "Well… It's meant to be a surprise, but since you asked, I shall show it to you and you only!" Misty said, as she took out a shimmering but mysterious chartreuse attire attached with an ominous looking bra out of her chest of drawers.

"I'll be attending as the one and only sexy mermaid princess, Ariel from the Little Mermaid!" she declared, turning around with a swish to reveal her apparel.

"Lucky…" muttered Violet as Misty stuck her tongue out. Daisy sighed and evacuated the flamingly angry elder sister and herself before World War III threatened to break out. Misty sighed and turned to May, as her face broke into a smile.

A wave of delicious anticipation washing over May, she took her buddy's hands in hers with a sudden impulse and the both of them pranced and danced in Misty's room, both eagerly awaiting the Party before them.

~*~*~*~*~*

Now, let's take a look at what our favourite duo, Harley and Wakana's doing for the upcoming Costume Party.

"Mwahahahaha!" Wakana cackled. "Please! You will never be Cinderella!" She imitated, her voice dripping with sarcasm, "I will be Cinderella, mark my words, Maple Berry, and I will be the most beaut-OOF!"

Wakana fell to the ground with a thud, wincing as she reached up to gently touch the sore spot on her head. She stood up and glared at the offending lamppost, which towered over her, making her look like a humble dwarf next to it.

"Stupid lamppost!" Wakana yelled, giving the lamppost her infamous kungfu kick. Not only was the annihilation of the 'evil' lamppost a failed attempt, it even hurt her foot as a result, earning a painful howl from Wakana. "URGH!"

With that scream, many passer-bys cast her confused looks, some even pinpointing and whispering among themselves. "Look at that eccentric girl! Talking to herself, bumping into the lamppost and then scolding and attacking it!" "Yea I saw that too, I wonder if she has a mental problem…"

Unfortunately, that did not go unheard by Wakana. Shooting a furious glance at the offenders, she roared, "I AM SANE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" She clenched her hand into a tight fist and glared at any person who had the guts to look in her direction. If looks could kill, Wakana would make it to the headlines the following morning. Imagine sitting in an armchair slowly sipping a fragrant cup of coffee like any other day, when the dog comes in with the newspaper. Your eyes bulge out and you spit out your coffee, when you spot the headlines screaming "GIRL RUNS AMOK AND KILLS THOUSANDS WITH DEADLY GLARE". Wow, how peculiar that would be… …

"Wakana, you are one eccentric girl. Weird is the perfect adjective for you"

The auburn haired girl turned around and barked at the source of the voice.

"Look who's talking? You're the one wearing a demented Cacturne suit. What are you dressing up as? Michael Jackson? Oh yeah, I forgot; he's your alter ego! Sometimes I really doubt your sanity Harley," shot back Wakana at Harley.

"For your information, I'm attending as the one and only, Tucker the Frontier Brain; my perfect idol," said Harley suavely with pride. Wakana howled with laughter as Harley huffed with anger and broken pride.

"At least I'm decent looking! I mean look at you! You're so ugly that when you entered an Ugly Contest, they said, "Sorry, no professionals!"" replied Harley smugly. Wakana howled with anger and launched at Harley head first, attempting to decapitate him with her fingernails at the sidewalk.

"Not the face! Please not the face!" Harley's screams filled the air.

"TAKE THAT BACK YOU MAUVE DEMENTED SISSY!"

"HELP ME! SAVE ME FROM THIS BRUNETTE PSYCHOPATH! ARGH!"

"STOP SQUIRMING OR ELSE I WILL MAKE SURE YOU SHALL NEVER HAVE CHILDREN FOR AS LONG AS YOU LIVE!"

Anyways, back to the story. Now that Wakana had decided to dress as Cinderella for the Costume Party and Harley decided to dress-up as his favourite idol, Tucker. All they had to do now was to find a costume. That will be a piece of cake, Wakana thought, and strutted to the tailors' to have her costume as she left a twitching body, oddly resembling Harley on the sidewalk.

After a few hours or so… …

Wakana pranced around her bedroom, admiring herself in the mirror as she did so. Her choice of costume was a pink frilly dress, with laces almost everywhere. The sleeves were big and puffy, from which were hung numerous minuscule pink stars. She wore pink high-heeled stilettos, and hanging from her neck was a diamond necklace. Lastly, a pink, furry crown sat innocently on her head.

Staring at her reflection in the mirror, Wakana said, "Ahh! I cannot believe this stunningly beautiful lady is me! I will be the centre of attention on the night of the party! Ohohohohoho… …"

"MIRROR MIRROR ON THE FLOOR!" Wakana said suddenly to the mirror lying on the floor, batting her eyelashes, "Am I pretty?"

… … … … …

"ANSWER ME YOU STUPID MIRROR!" Wakana screeched, turning red from fury. Still, there was no response. The agitated Wakana started throwing tantrums, as well as things in the room.

CRASH! Oh well, there goes the antique vase… Startled by the sudden noise, Harley, now heavily bandaged, poked his head into the room.

"Wakana! Calm down… Who made you angry this time?" Harley asked. He winced as Wakana glared at him before she went back to throwing a tantrum again.

"Just tell me before you ruin all my furniture"

Wakana pointed a trembling accusing finger at the culprit and folded her arms, pouting.

Harley was astounded. What did the mirror do? And in the first place, can the mirror do anything?

Wakana replied, as though she could read Harley's thoughts, "This STUPID mirror! It ignored me when I asked whether I was pretty or not!" Then she started bawling, "WHICH MEANS I'M NOT PRETTY!"

Harley tried to stifle the laugh that was threatening to spill out of his mouth. With Wakana's pink, frilly… everything, all she needed was a red nose and some makeup and she would look a perfect clown.

"No." Harley replied, to save his neck. "You look gorgeous."

Wakana's tears dried up as fast as they have appeared, and was replaced by a delightful look on her face. She whooped with joy and ecstasy, twirling around in her pink, frilly dress. "Wait till everyone sees me in this, they'll be green with envy!"

And Harley looked on thoughtfully, sighing in resignation and he twirled his purple locks, doubtfully as he did so.

The next day in school… …

Wakana tossed her hair behind her shoulders as she flounced into the classroom. There was a confident smirk on her face, as she held her head high up and felt every pair of eyes in the classroom following her. They must be gawking at my beauty! This will show the snobbish May who's the boss!

"The last time I checked, the school hasn't changed its uniform."

Wakana spun around, coming face to face with May, who raised an eyebrow at her. Oh no! I forgot that the Costume Party is tomorrow, not today! She stuttered, "I – err – ah we-ell, I – I wanted to sh – show you guys my wonderful costume!"

"Oh? So what have you decided to be this time?" May asked.

"Cinderella." Wakana replied smugly.

May doubled over with laughter, clutching her stomach. "In that case, I think that Cinderella should change her name to Clownderella! HAHAHAHA!" The whole class burst into laughter.

Before Wakana could say anything to defend herself, a voice rang from the doorway. "Wakana! Why aren't you in your school uniform!" Wakana froze. "And why are you dressed like a clown!"

Slowly, like some kind of horror movie, Wakana turned around. I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead! It was the principal. NO! This is such a bad day for me! Wakana moaned inwardly.

"Follow me to the office!" the principal barked. Shaking her head, Wakana shuffled out of the classroom. Dumb May, I'll make you sorry for this… …

After school… …

"I can't believe it! Tomorrow is the Costume Party already!" Drew moaned, burying his face in his hands. "And I don't know what to wear!"

Harley rolled his eyes. "Just wear any prince costume, and presto! You're done."

Shaking his head, Drew replied, "No, that would be too common. I want to wear a special costume, be a unique character, and I want to stand out from the rest. Something fresh and new… I want to win this again!"

"I don't remember you caring that much about winning last year." Harley stated, looking surprised.

"Nah, I still don't care much about the stupid costume contest. It's that chick, May." Drew replied.

Harley raised an eyebrow. "Oh? What about her?"

Grinning, Drew said, "She won the Costume Queen title last year, remember? I had a good look at her when she fainted, and boy, she was hot!" He rubbed his chin, seemingly in deep thought, and continued, "Too bad she fainted, or I would have asked her out that night… … But never mind, tomorrow night's my chance, I have to win the competition, get her fawning over me and THEN I'll ask her out!" Drew finished, looking triumphant. "Since I'm such a kind-hearted guy, I'll probably fork out money and help her find a doctor to treat her fainting illness when we start dating."

"Hey! I know what you can be." Harley said excitedly, "Have you heard of 'Beauty and the Beast?' You could be Belle!"

Drew looked at Harley incredulously, as though Harley had grown a pockmark on his face. "Are you crazy? I'm a GUY, and I'm straight. I'm not gay, and certainly not a transvestite!"

"It's called cross-dressing you nitwit, I didn't ask you to go for a sex change." Harley replied, and seeing the doubtful look on his face, he added, "Come on, it'll be fun! You said you wanted something fresh and new, right? Most importantly, you'll be in the centre of attention."

"I guess…" Drew agreed hesitantly, "You do have a point though…"

Later… …

Drew sat in front of the mirror, feeling aggravated as Harley tried to fix the brown wig on Drew's head.

"Can't I go without the wig? It's making my scalp itchy." Drew said, reaching a hand to scratch his head. Unfortunately, the wig fell off when he did that.

"Can you stop doing that?" Harley groaned, feeling irritated, as the wig dropped for the umpteenth time.

"I can jolly well go without the wig!" Drew retorted.

"Then you will look like a ridiculous sissy-boy." Harley said, rolling his eyes. "Now sit so I can get this over and done with."

After a long, long time… …

"Finally! I'm done, Drew!" Harley cheered, stepping back to admire his handiwork.

"… Drew…?"

A snore answered him. Apparently, Drew had fallen asleep when Harley was fixing the wig, which took four… or was it five hours? He lost count. Harley placed a hand on Drew's shoulder and shook him, awakening him from his sweet, or maybe dirty, dream.

"ARGH what was that for! I was about to kiss May when you pulled me out of my wonderful drea-WOAH!" Drew exclaimed, pointing at his own reflection in the mirror. "When did this hot chick appear? Is she your girlfriend?"

The girl was dressed in a dark yellow dress, with its edges covered with light yellow laces. A yellow scarf was wrapped securely around her neck. She had long, beautiful cinnamon hair that was tied together in a half bun; the rest of the hair was left flowing down her shoulders to end at her mid back, while stray strands of untied hair were left to frame her face.

Drew waved. The girl waved back. Drew grinned. The girl grinned at him.

"Hah, we did the same actions, at the same time! You can't deny that we have chemistry! Aren't you jealous that your girl is so compatible with me? Maybe I could use her to make May jealous!"

Harley hit Drew's head with a book. "OWW what was that for?"

"Are you nuts? That's YOU, your own reflection, dumbass!"

Drew's jaw dropped. "M-M-Me?"

"Yes, you dummy." Harley said. He's hopeless… "Now pick up your jaw before you go, I don't want it to litter my house."

~*~*~*~*~*​

The next day…

"Class! I know that all of you are excited about the Costume Party which will be taking place later in the evening, but for now, please pay attention in class!" The teacher shouted in an attempt to get their attention back on the lesson, breaking the murmurs and whispers across the classroom.

It seemed to take a century for the bell to ring. When it finally did, students started gathering around to discuss the upcoming event.

"Hey, May!" Wakana smiled sweetly at her, "What are you wearing for the Costume Party?"

"Why should I tell you?" May snapped, but continued with a sweet voice, "So, you're wearing the Clownderella costume tonight?" With that, May stalked off.

Wakana narrowed her eyes. Well well, the peacock is flaunting its feathers. She probably wants to discourage me from wearing that gorgeous costume, as she knows I will steal her spotlight! All the more I should wear it! Hahahaha!

Meanwhile… …

May was admiring her costume in the girls' toilet, holding it in front of her as she swished from side to side. She knew she could trust Misty and her crazy hyperactive sisters to come up with a beautiful costume. A grin crept to her face, as she pictured herself wearing the costume, winning the Costume Queen title, and walking across the stage… …

The sound of the door opening snapped May back to reality. It was Harley; he lost the bandages but he walked with a slight limp. Courtesy to Wakana.

"Drew's looking for you in the classroom." Harley stated.

May's face lit up. Drew? Ahh… … Looking at the costume in her hands, she thought, maybe I can change later, Drew is more important… … Mumbling a 'thanks' to Harley, May rushed off to the classroom.

"Ohohohoho!" Wakana strutted into the toilet, giving Harley a pat on the back. "Thank you very much! Now I can sabotage May's costume!"

Armed with two bottle of ketchup, Wakana proceeded to dump its contents onto May's costume, all the while cackling evilly.

"Err, Wakana?" Harley started, but was interrupted by Wakana.

"Go away, Harley, your work is done, it's my turn to be in action!" Wakana snapped.

Harley sighed. I don't really see what she is going to gain from doing all these… "I'm trying to say that, her costume is red." Harley said, pointing at May's costume. Then, he sauntered out of the toilet.

"Wha-" Wakana stared at the costume in her hands. Of course! How can I be so stupid? I can't possibly stain a red costume with red ketchup… …Now what?

Thud. Thud. Thud. Footsteps echoed in the hallway, signalling an arriving person. Oh no, that must be May! Wakana panicked, running into one of the cubicles and slamming the door shut. She dumped the costume into the toilet bowl and attempted to flush it down, but stopped short and held her breath when she heard someone enter the toilet.

"Stupid Drew, fancy making me go back to the classroom for nothing…" May mumbled. "No wait, Drew is an angel, he won't do such a thing… Must be that Harley! Lying through his teeth, humph… …AHHH!"

May shrieked when she found out that her costume was missing. Following that, she burst into tears, which came in torrents flowing freely from her eyes.

Wakana silently gloated over her success. That will teach you, you proud peacock… However, that wasn't enough. She wanted to make May even more miserable.

Stepping out of the cubicle, Wakana cleared her throat to attract May's attention. May turned around to face Wakana, her eyes red and puffy. Wakana shook her head and went forward, patting May on the back.

"May… What happened?" Wakana put on a fake smile and asked in a concerned tone.

"I-I lost my costume…" May sniffed, as tears started to well up again. "Now I can't go the Costume Party…"

Wakana rubbed her back, and said in a soothing voice, "Well… I'm sure we'll think of something else… Hey! I've got an idea!" Wakana rushed off to a corner and dragged some boxes over. "I'll make a costume for you with these!"

"Why are you being so nice to me?" May asked. "I was so mean to you…"

"Well, it's better to be friends than enemies, right? Let's bury the hatchet, okay?"

May nodded. "I'm sorry… for everything I said to you… I feel so ashamed of myself…"

Moments later……

"It's done!" Wakana exclaimed, gesturing to the rather hideous costume she made. "Now try it on, May!"

"Err, no offence, but the costume looks rather… ridiculous…" May said, casting a glance at the costume.

"Aw, but it's something special, it will probably put you in the centre of attention!" Wakana replied, "Besides, if you don't turn up for the party, you'll miss out on all the fun!"

May thought over Wakana's words, and found that what she said made sense. Moreover, she didn't want to miss seeing Drew's handsome face.

"Oh well, I guess I have no choice…" May sighed, "But what kind of fairytale character can I be with this costume?"

"Eh heh…Well…" Wakana stuttered, "You can be the box princess in 'The Box Princess'!"

May frowned. "Are you sure there's such a fairytale?"

"Of course!" Wakana replied enthusiastically, "My grandmother used to tell me this story when I was little."

"Thanks, Wakana." May said, as Wakana helped her into the costume. "I owe you one…"

~*~*~*~*~*

"Pupils, please gather in the auditorium in five minutes for the Costume Party!" The principal's voice blared over the PA system. Upon hearing the message, students flooded to the auditorium with anticipation.

May bit her lip as she walked nervously into the auditorium. She made her way towards Misty, who was waving her arms wildly, vaguely aware of the many pairs of eyes staring at her. I must look ridiculous… Seeing that many people were casting her weird looks, May wanted very much to dig a hole and hide in it, never to resurface again.

Misty was horrified when she saw what May was wearing. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE COSTUME!" Misty shrieked.

"Oi, lower your voice!"

"Sorry…" Misty muttered, and in a fiercer tone, she said, "And you! May! Why are you wearing this… thing, instead of the costume those abominations called my sister and I made?"

"Long story…" May sighed.

After listening to May's story……

"… And so, I have to make do with this box thing." May finished.

"You mean, all my hard work… down the drain?" Misty moaned, shaking her head dejectedly.

"I didn't mean it… Sorry, Misty…" May apologised profusely.

"NOW PEOPLE, PAY ATTENTION, THE JUDGES HAVE DECIDED!" the host, Brock bellowed into the microphone.

"That's so loud!"

"My ears hurt! I think I've gone deaf!"

"Lower your voice, you –beep-!"

"Sorry peeps, my bad. As I was saying, the judges have decided on the winners for this year's costume competition." Brock said, "And now, it is the time to announce the winners!"

"Firstly, the Costume King for this year is…" drum roll…

"DREW THE COORDINATOR!"

Drew strutted up to the stage, grinning broadly. I have to thank Harley after this…

Or not.

A ripple of sniggers went through the crowd below, which then burst into an upsurge of howls and laughter when those who had mistaken the silhouette walking up the stage for a girl recognised Drew for the guy he was as he walked into the circle of light in the centre of the stage.

"You mean…"

"That can't be!"

"Are you for real!"

"Is that…?"

"OH MY GOD, IT'S DREW!"

The Cheshire grin that was on Drew's face slid off his face as fast as melted butter on a windowpane. His face was now crimson red, and he wanted nothing more right then than to run off stage and throw himself off the building.

Damn that Harley, wait till I get my hands on him! Grr…

"…Therefore, the judges have made the decision based the distinct impression cross dresser Drew had made, as he really fit the outfit, but more importantly, the fact that no one would have ever thought of or have the guts to wear this. Let's give this courageous King a round of applause!" Brock ended, as he urged the audience to their feet for a standing ovation.

"And now, the Costume Queen! The judges have stated that the Queen chosen has a most special and unique costume ever seen! So who shall it be this year? Will it be another year of reign for May Maple, or would she give up her throne for another exquisitely ravishing Queen?"

Me, me, me! Screamed Wakana ferociously in her head, letting out a hiss as she did so. She did not notice the wide berth fellow fairytale characters gave her, nor the strange looks aimed in her direction by people who only saw a pink ball of glittering lace. All her attention was fixed on the host, willing him with all her mind power to call out her name.

No such luck.

"The Costume Queen is our beautiful May Maple! Dressed as… A box! Why, how curious, would you like to te-"

"NOOOOOOOOO!" That wasn't supposed to happen!

"Well, umm," stammered Brock as he turned away from the sight of a howling Wakana, who was being dragged off by a couple of burly security guards. "As I was saying, would you like to tell us what character are you role playing as?"

"The Box Princess."

"… …I've never heard of such a fairytale character."

"Ahh-" started May, turning jumpy as her eyes darted here and there as she tried to think of an excuse, the awkward silence in the auditorium becoming ever more audible as everyone waited for her answer.

As for Drew, his flaming red face paled into a pallid yellow which remarkably matched his yellow dress when he heard May's name being announced, and even more so when he saw her costume. That's… The girl of my dreams?

Oh crap, thought May anxiously. I've gotta make something up – no way am I going to lose this title nor my face after all the pains I took!

"Umm, uhh, you see…This, here, the Box Princess… It's a fairytale that has been passed down for generations by my family," said May, making things up as she went on with her explanation. "It's about a little princess who loved hiding in boxes whenever she played hide and seek. One day she was playing hide and seek when she discovered an engraved trunk, which she could just fit in. So she hid in it and closed the lid. But it turned out that the box was to store a treasure that was to be given to a prince of the powerful neighbouring country as a tribute. The movers, seeing the closed trunk, thought that the treasure was in it and whisked it away to the other country. When the box was presented to the prince, the princess, who had been sleeping in it, woke up and jumped out of the box. The sight amused the young prince and he laughed so hard. The king of the country saw this and was delighted, as the prince had never laughed before. Many countries had sent tributes in hope of making the prince laugh and by doing so earn the king's favour, but not one had succeeded. However, the princess had managed to do so, and the king was so happy that he decided to strike up a betrothal between the princess and prince. When they grew up, they got married and they lived," May paused to take a deep breath, "happily ever after."

May held her breath and closed her eyes, awaiting the mocking tones that would jeer her off stage. However, what greeted her ears were not sounds of ridicule but a deafening applause peppered with wolf whistles.

She opened her eyes. Different fairytale characters of all sorts of colours and shapes were clapping vigorously offstage, and it was all meant for her! She didn't make a fool out of herself after all!

"Presenting the Costume King and Queen, BEAUTY AND THE BOX!" Brock hollered. The applause grew even louder as they cheered for Drew as well.

May lifted a hand and wiped the sweat off her forehead. Whew! That's one ordeal I survived! Her smile grew wider as she observed her fellow students gradually stop clapping to mingle with their friends. In the whirl of colours, May spotted Misty, dressed as Ariel, being flirted with, no, harassed with by Harley dressed as Tucker at a corner of the auditorium, causing a cheeky smile to appear on May's face. That's got to be a classic Kodak Moment! Look at Misty's face! Obvious Discomfort…

A tap on her shoulder broke May's train of thoughts. May turned around, coming face to face with none other than the handsome Drew, the guy of the dreams. She nearly melted under his intense gaze, as her mind screamed, No, NO! I cannot faint! May! Don't faint!

"Uh…" Drew stuttered, "M-May, may I have the pleasure of walking you home?"

Oh my God…! He's offering to walk me home? Aw… that's so sweet of him…

May nodded mutely, feeling that her voice might turn out funny if she spoke.

~*~*~*~*~*​

"Um…" Drew tried to start a conversation as they shuffled along the streets. May had not been speaking the entire time, and all she did was to either nod or shake her head at Drew's questions. "So, can you tell me more about yourself?" Wow, I'm so smart, she'll have to answer me; this isn't a 'yes' or 'no' question!

"M-Me?" May said in a squeaky voice, covering her mouth with her hand as she did so. Oh my god, I can't believe I sound so… funny… He'll think I'm some kind of goofball… May groaned.

"Are you alright?" Drew asked, concerned. "You don't sound so well…"

May blushed furiously. "N-No! I'm fine."

"Oh." Drew replied awkwardly, and then added in a hesitant voice, "You know… You're really… pretty…"

This made May's red face even redder, as her heart raced wildly. "I… Um… I-I know."

Drew raised an eyebrow at this, obviously amused by her reply. He surveyed May's blushing face, and then gazed into her glassy sapphire eyes. The moonlight cast a glow on Drew's face, lighting it up and making him look as handsome as ever.

Oh no, not again… May thought, stop flashing the 'Drew's eye of hotness', I'm gonna faint!

Slowly, Drew lifted a hand and placed it on the back of her head. He leaned forward and tilted his head, preparing for a kiss. May's eyes fluttered close on instinct, she went weak in the knees, and her legs wobbled which nearly caused her to fall. Their lips were centimetres apart; Drew was about to close the gap when… …

"YEOWCH!" Drew yowled. He had lost his balance and tripped over a rock, plummeting headfirst on the ground. Getting on his feet again, Drew rubbed his sore nose with his hand, all the while grinning sheepishly at May.

"Uh…" May said, pointing at a house in front of her. "I've reached… See you tomorrow!" With that, she rushed into the house without waiting for a reply from Drew, the blush on her face never fading.

In less than a blink of an eye, May was gone, leaving Drew in the lonely and deserted street all by himself. Damn! Drew cursed. I was so close…

In May's house… …

"Well, well, the monster is finally back!" Max taunted, as he heard the door clicking open. Craning his neck, he turned just in time to see a box disappear up the stairs. Max snickered, and then added, "Now I see. My big sister's turned into a box monster."

May reappeared at the bottom of the stairs, and with the loudest voice she could muster, she retorted, "For the last time, I am NOT a monster!" Then, she turned away and trudged up the stairs.

Throwing herself onto the soft, silken bed, May buried her head into the covers and sighed. What a long day… But now, is a good time for a shower! May thought and bounced off the bed, heading into the shower.

"Mmm…" mumbled May as she struggled to take her costume off. "It's kind of tight…"

At Wakana's… …

"Heh! That Maple Berry won't know what hit her," cackled Wakana.

In her fingers she twirled a tube of superglue.

The End?

Last edited:

Chikiki

// ♥ t e a r s ++
    Years
  • XDDDD Box Princess? XDDD And Drew became a Princess? There wasn't really any romance...other then some jealousy...But still, I like it! And it's a pity Drew missed his chance...-_-;; Anyhow, I loved this One-Shot! ^_^

EDIT: Oops, didn't read the warning...And I'm from Serebii :o -dies- Don't kill me!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2006
    I really liked it. It could have done without the Titles like

Meanwhile... and stuff.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2006
    XxRosesxX... You're XxLovelinessxX on Serebii right? Formerly May_Beautifly. Well, actually I'm masterwannabe on Serebii. Don't tell anyone on Serebii though; they're not meant to read this yet!

katiekitten

Is currently: Very happy
    Years
  • *reads anyway* XD I like checking out my compitition. (Sorry, my spelling ran away. XD)

This is pretty good! I'm gonna do a commentary review, so beware. XD

making the environment so peaceful and amiable that lured May out of reality.

'That it lured may out of reality.' :)

Quick note, could you get rid of the 'flash back' before the flash back? It is kinda stating the obvious, and isn't needed. A better way to do it was to say 'may closed her eyes as memories flitted across her view...' You get the picture. XD

End Flashback

May frowned. Well okay, the Costume Party was fun except for the part when she fainted after she saw how hot Drew was.

Get rid of the end flashback, please. XD A comma after fun, and could you rephrase the 'fainted when she saw how hot drew was'? It just sounds... Meh. Not so nice. Besides, wouldn't she have seen him before? She shouldn't be so shocked if so. And if not, I don't really think she would fiant, personally. But that is just my opinion. :)

Ok, here we could have some desciption. Describe what Drew looked like in her lovers eye, how the light fell upon him, and his features. Would she be entraced by his emerald green eyes? The way he smiled? I would think that May would examine his face a bit, personally. :)

Who is this Harley? What does he look like? A little description is needed if you are going to refer to people by their names. :)

"Calm down darling dear, I'm sure you will win! Just as I'm going to be this year's Costume King! Mwahahaha!" assured Harley as Wakana whacked him on the head.

I would put harley do something, like pat her on the back, before this line. Just a suggestion, though. :)

"Well if you do want to win that badly,"

I'd put a comma after Well. :)

"Ooh May! I'm so glad you came to us!" Violet said

I'd take this chance to inform the readers of where they are, instead of that note. :)

her eyes blaring dangerously

I think you got blaring a little mixed up. Blaring is used when talking about a sound. Such as: 'Rock music blared out of a set of twin speakers, pleaced on either side of the room.' XD

"Sigh… May, if you aren't going to cooperate

XD A common mistake. Do people say 'sigh' when they are sighing? It is a verb, and you don't really say it. It should be... 'She sighed, pausing midstitch and looking up at the indignant girl...' You get the idea. :)

XD The next part is pretty amusing, I am enjoying this. XD

XD The box princess was a lovely little twist to add. XD

...Perhaps Drew's infatuation was a little fast? I wouldn't have thought he'd be trying to kiss her when they had practically just met. They knew nothing about each other. Meh, it is just my opinion. :)

Yes, that was a very good story! I liked it a lot. Good luck in the contest!

Edit: O.o How many smilies did I put in there? XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    It's ok, Winged Follower. People from Serebii can read it hear, I just don't want it posted on Serebii. Once the contest is judged, I'll edit my review into this post. And I do have one question: is this high school or middle school? I was thinking the latter

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2006
    Well, in Australia, Year/Grade 7~12 which is Middle and High School combined for you goes on other countries is called High School as a whole. But I reckon May and Drew are around 14, 15-ish in this fic? So Middle School. Oh and katiekitten, Drew is a bit egocentric in this fic; thinking he can conquer all women and all of them will fall for him heads over heels. That's why he was trying to kiss May as soon as he met her. But he did have an instant infatuation; he knew her for a bit, at least an year at the most as they are in the same year, class and school. Thanks anyway! Constructive critisism is always welcome with me!

EDIT:

I did originally did have descriptions of Drew's face in May's perpesctive, more scenes, etc. But then I realised it was over fifty-five pages on Word! So I had to omit and shorten some segments to it's now current length of approximately thirty-four pages due to the maximum length llimit for this competition being thrity~four pages. >.<;;

Last edited:
    Back