• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Emboar is currently the name of the third evolution though (unless it's all one big plot to fool us poor users who can't read Japanese!) So Pokabu having it too would be impossible. XD;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Emboar is currently the name of the third evolution though (unless it's all one big plot to fool us poor users who can't read Japanese!) So Pokabu having it too would be impossible. XD;
    Where did you hear that from?
    Odd it sounds like Ember which would match better Pokabu as the fire theme in the name always gets more intense for example Torchic (torch) Combusken (Combust) and Blaziken (Blaze), then there is Chimchar (char) then Monferno and Infernape are both (inferno)
    I was think of it around the lines of Ember, Flame, inferno like the flames such heat up or something...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I know Serebii had it listed and others said the name originally mentioned directly translated to Emboar, I... don't know, I'm in the middle with it. I'd like Emboar to be the actual name, but then again, if it isn't real, it doesn't really matter too much to me, just as long as the name has something to do with fire, really.

And as long as Tsutaaja isn't Smugleaf.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    But something like Snivy... doesn't sound too appealing to me. :x I mean, if it had that name, I wouldn't use it ever, I just... dislike it.

Snakery! ...hey that actually doesn't sound too bad, lol. :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Oooh I like that a lot. It sounds something like "abyss" which... the word itself is nice to say, so if it's Ivyss (although unlikely ;;), I'm all for it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...yup, it's pretty obvious that you like it, but instead of saying that, perhaps suggest another possible Tsutaaja name?

"Slimb" actually makes sense, too, because it's a snake with limbs basically and the s stands for snake plus limb? Boring, yeah I know, but it's likely too!

Years
  • I know Serebii had it listed and others said the name originally mentioned directly translated to Emboar, I... don't know, I'm in the middle with it. I'd like Emboar to be the actual name, but then again, if it isn't real, it doesn't really matter too much to me, just as long as the name has something to do with fire, really.
    Since the name is 'Enbuou' which comes from 'en' (flame), 'bu' (part of 'buta' - pig) and 'ou' (king) I think Emboar is as close as you can get to the original while still making sense in English. I like it. I hope they use it.

And as long as Tsutaaja isn't Smugleaf.
    Yes, please. I can't think of a better name, but I just don't like this.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Tsutarja: Sepleaf (neoseps + leaf)
    Janoby: Skivy (skink + ivy)
    Jaroda: Snaking (snake + king)

Pokabu: Piglit
    Chaobu: Pignite/Pignition
    Enbuoo: Boarbeque (I really have know idea, but this is the best I can come up with, lol.)

Mijumaru: uh...
    Futachimaru: ah...
    Daikenki: I got nothing.

Mijumaru is becoming my favorite of the starters, but is also the hardest to name. I have a strong feeling they won't go with Wotter. That's like naming a fire-type bat pkmn [S-HIGHLIGHT]Vire (vampire + fire.)[/S-HIGHLIGHT] I get that the pun is that it sounds so much like the type, but that's also why it's a horrible name. I'm loving Smugleaf, though. :)

Vire just sounds forced, and it would be a bit hard to figure out that the V stands for Vampire, using only the name to go off of. Wotter essentially sounds like what it's referencing: Water.

Where did you hear that from?
    Odd it sounds like Ember which would match better Pokabu as the fire theme in the name always gets more intense for example Torchic (torch) Combusken (Combust) and Blaziken (Blaze), then there is Chimchar (char) then Monferno and Infernape are both (inferno)
    I was think of it around the lines of Ember, Flame, inferno like the flames such heat up or something...

I agree. Emboar's latching on to me due to the similarity to the Japanese name, it sounds nice, and because I've been reading it so much. The only name I think that can match the "gradual intensity upon evolution" theme regarding past Fire-types is the name Pignition for Enbuoo. Ignition would refer to the start of a vehicle or aircraft (a very significant event in some cases) and the start of a new, powerful evolution. Evolving into the final stage, I figure, would be very significant for Fire-type starters... It is for me, anyway! :P

(For me, Porkabu/Pokabu would reference pokapoka, warmth circulating within the body, something little that fits the first stage. Then you have the gradual progession to Pignition, implying the starting of something powerful. Emboar for Pokabu's second stage seems a bit...strange to me, sort of.)

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'd like for them to use Emboar too; but, realistically I don't see them keeping it. The only starters (minus the Pikachu family) to keep their Japanese names are: Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The only name I think that can match the "gradual intensity upon evolution" theme regarding past Fire-types is the name Pignition for Enbuoo. Ignition would refer to the start of a vehicle or aircraft (a very significant event in some cases) and the start of a new, powerful evolution. Evolving into the final stage, I figure, would be very significant for Fire-type starters... It is for me, anyway! :P

(For me, Porkabu/Pokabu would reference pokapoka, warmth circulating within the body, something little that fits the first stage. Then you have the gradual progession to Pignition, implying the starting of something powerful. Emboar for Pokabu's second stage seems a bit...strange to me, sort of.)

I think Pignition would work well for Pokabu, more than Emboar/third stage, but it's just a little too long for the name of a starter. Maybe the name of the second evolution?

Since the name is 'Enbuou' which comes from 'en' (flame), 'bu' (part of 'buta' - pig) and 'ou' (king) I think Emboar is as close as you can get to the original while still making sense in English. I like it. I hope they use it.

Yes, please. I can't think of a better name, but I just don't like this.

...right! Yeah, that makes alot more sense. Funny, Emboar was one fan-made name (at some point), which seems to be most likely right now, which is awesome.

Idk how people can even like "Smugleaf". XD;

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2010
    I know reshiram and zekrom are staying the same but what about kyurem? i do not know if he will get a change or not. although I hope the fire moth is Mothraze (moth blaze :) )

Years
  • Oh Smugleaf isn't so bad. At least I know EXACTLY which Pokemon they're talking about when they say it. The "generally accepted name" that I can't stand is "Wotter," since saying it out loud just leaves you with the word "water."

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    Some names i came up with:

Yooterri - Infanterri (Infantry [Infant] + Terri)
    Haderia - Milliterri (Millitary + Terri)
    Muurando - Artiliterri (Artillery + Terri)

Yanappu - Sproutape (Sprout + Ape)
    Yanakki - Foliape (Foliage + Ape)

Boappu - Magmape (Magma + Ape)
    Baokki - Flaumbape (Flaumbe + Ape)

Hiyappu - Hydrape (Hydro + Ape)
    Hiyakki - Cascape (Cascade + Ape)

Koromori - Cardibat (Cardiac + Bat)
    kokoromori - Barythmia ( Bat + Arythmia)

Abagoora - Glapagoise (Gallapagos + Tortoise) gallapagoise is to long so i shortened it

Baruchai - Torture - (pun on torture)
    Barujiina - Reapture - (pun on rapture, also Reap + Vulture)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I got some ideas for Mijumaru!~

Ottwaru
    Shellup
    Waell

My favourite is Ottwaru, the evo line could be, Ottwaru -> Wataru -> Selionaru! (Selion - sealion xD)

Okay forget that, I know those names suck xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back