• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I officially love the names now, but Tepig needs to grow on me. Oshawott is the best and most creative!

I like the French name for Snivy. (Vipelierre)

You're absolutely right. We only like the older names because we have grown used to them over the years.
    These are brand new. Very brand new. Less than a few hours old.

Vipelierre? That's French alright.

Years
  • Unova is hard to pronounce. Isshu is not.

That's pretty much it, but I don't really care about the starter names. I can always nickname'em. It's just that...seriously, Oshawott? Unova?

But I'm just waiting for rival names, that'll kill me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    You're absolutely right. We only like the older names because we have grown used to them over the years.
    These are brand new. Very brand new. Less than a few hours old.

Vipelierre? That's French alright.

...years? We've only known B/W since the start of the year. XD;

Though Oshawott is addictive to say.

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    Snivy is the coolest sounding name for me out of the three. Snivy. Kinda cool! :D

Tepig is OK, gonna get some taking used to, but, whatever.

Oshawott is just plain weird. I'm sticking with Mijumaru.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I just noticed the English name today. Tepig doesn't really sound like a Pokemon name that much. Oshawott, I thought Mijumaru was a weird name but I guess I could see how it works. Snivy, I thought a different name would fit for Tsutarja.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Oshawott is the worst name in all Pokemon history.
    Smugleaf is still the correct name, however. PUSA made a typo (but for technical reasons, they can't change it).

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021

...years? We've only known B/W since the start of the year. XD;

Though Oshawott is addictive to say.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. I meant the names of the Pokémon from the past generations.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Well well well... seems like I came home after being at school for such a short time... once I got home and checked Pokémon.com, I realized that the names were pretty different from what I was expecting. Also... I would like to say congratulations on guessing Snivy correctly, when I was on Pokémon.com and found out that Snivy was the official English name, I was amazed. I really didn't think Smugleaf would become the official English name, because... I knew it was a completely fanmade name that describes on how it looked, and magazines are definately not reliable sources, just because they may say that Nintendo has gone with the idea... they can't always be right. And some magazines can lie about things too, which is what really frustrates people.

As for the English names for the starters... they're not too bad. But I've found out what they mean and all that... here's how:

Snivy = Snake + Ivy (as some Pokémon fans guessed)

Tepig = Tepid + Pig

Oshawott = Oshawa + Otter

As all my guesses were unfortunately wrong, I only thought about going with Smugleaf because it was quite popular... I was quite gullible to the magazines. D:

I think everyone who guessed Snivy should really get an Emblem for it, that's my suggestion... because they guessed it correctly. I reckon they shouldn't go without an award. xD

However... I'm looking into what things are related to fire and all that so I can find a word that has "Te" in it. So hopefully I will. ;)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't like Tepig at all. Pokabu would have been much cooler of a name to keep. I like the rest of them though. Unova sounds cool, wonder how they came up with that.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • THE NAMES ALL SUCK...

But Oshawott...appeals to me the most. :3

Besides their names, I like the Pokemon for the Pokemon , not their names.
    Besides, I'll be nicknaming my pokes...except for Oshawott...Heck, I'll nickname my Daikenki "Oshawott" just so I have a reason to say it. xDD

But Unova? Srsly. FAIL...Reminds me of "Unown". But its kinda cool to say..."Unova". Unova. UNOVA.

OVERALL...Pokemon Black and White for the win!

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I'm still sad that the name is Snivy, not Smugleaf, but oh well. The name Tepig, sounds so weird on the little Pokabu. Oshawott, is a pretty nice name, I have no problems with it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Guys, guys, enough of the hate. We just don't like the names because we're used to the old ones. We wouldn't like them even if they were something epic, like Shellslasher, The Serpenator and Super-Duper-Flamey-Explodey-Boom-Boom-Pig.

Give them time. They'll grow on you. Like fungus! Delicious fungus.

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
  • Snivy of course snake and ivy,tepid means heat but they but pig, and oshawott i see ocean and otter in that name. Well I was used to the old names and now these new names are completely different. All we have to do is get used to them and in a month or a couple of weeks we'll like them.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Osha-Whaaaa...?

Official English Name Discussion

Oshawott
    . ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME.?

What the freak was wrong with "Wotter"? Oshawott doesn't even sound that cute. :cer_cry: If Oshawott had to be used at all, I'd probably reserve it for as Futachimaru's English name instead, since I can't think of a good name for him... But where the heck are they getting it from? On Google, I searched for "Oshawa Japan", and even then I got Oshawa, Ontario references. Unless it's a major corruption of otter and wash... If Oshawa, Ontario was meant to be the origin, it seems like nonsense, especially since is supposed to be the Isshu starter with the Japanese influence.

Actual meaning of Tepid, from DA:

Tepid actually means lukewarm or lack of enthusiasm... which doesn't really suit the little guy

-_- I guess they mean "moderately warm"...but still, it like dampens Tepig's Pokabu's theme. If the "meh" tone/term were an adjective, "tepid" would probably be the embodiment of it. I wish "TehPig" was Pokabu's Internet moniker instead, being equivalent to Tsutarja's "Smugleaf" moniker.
    I actually thought the name might be Pignite instead...

At first, I was OK with Tepig, but now, I'm really thinking that they should have kept the name as Pokabu. Aside from the awesome "warmth" (not that moderately warm crap :() and "oink/pig" derivations/origins, Pokabu seems a bit easier to say, it could said to have the word "poke" in it (because you know what usually happens when people constantly start poking each other unnecessarily). Furthermore, from my view, it is partially homophonous with the term "peek-a-boo", which usually relates to something infantile (which Pokabu is).

I like the French name for Snivy. (Vipelierre)

:( Why...? Vipelierre would have been much better than the painfully obvious Snivy; it even fits the 10-character limit and sounds...royal (which fits the Tsutarja's line royal European theme). But I'm surprised how many people guessed it correctly - then again, it is essentially Tsutarja using the English equivalents of the word stems. At least it doesn't ruin the Smugleaf meme... And Snivy just reminds me of sniveling, which Tsutarja doesn't imply at all... (unless you're talking about what will happen to the people who encounter the boastful Tsutarja :P)

Oshawott is the worst name in all Pokemon history.
    Smugleaf is still the correct name, however. PUSA made a typo (but for technical reasons, they can't change it).

Its snivy not smugleaf. I just saw it on serebii

I think Gymnotide was joking... ;) Those are some pretty big typos, though. I guess we'll just have to fix them. :)

Still, I'm a bit scared for the upcoming English names of the Pokemon...this is the first Generation I've ever had an issue with the starter names. I'm hoping the other ones aren't butchered...

At least we sort of got new memes...:

Official English Name Discussion

Smugleaf
    Osha-whaat?
    :cer_confused:
    "I'm starting with TehPig!"
    -_-

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back