• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
  • After all... even if alot of people don't like the names... lemme tell ya... I'm sure we might get used to them, but I do assume Pokémon Black and Pokémon White might not have a higher rating than HeartGold and SoulSilver, but who knows? I could be wrong. ;)

Just because I don't like something doesn't exactly mean that everyone else would, maybe it's because I'm not fond of the Pokémon franchise anymore? D:

Well... I know there is several issues with Pokémon Black and Pokémon White, such as not losing HP outside of battle when a Pokémon is poisoned. Now that's one thing they have done to destroying what used to be in the original. Maybe they're rebooting the franchise? Idk :\

But the names... aren't too bad, like I said. There's only one name that really doesn't get my attention... and that is Tepig.

Years
  • Guys, guys, enough of the hate. We just don't like the names because we're used to the old ones. We wouldn't like them even if they were something epic, like Shellslasher, The Serpenator and Super-Duper-Flamey-Explodey-Boom-Boom-Pig.

Give them time. They'll grow on you. Like fungus! Delicious fungus.

Hey man, we're just giving our opinions. It doesn't really matter whether anyone likes it or not, it's our opinion.

cerulean15

♫Mysterious Melody♪
    Years
  • Snivy doesn't really bother me as much and nor does Tepig...I hope it does have the long E sound because then the name really grows on me, but I'd probably nickname him Floink XD As for Oshawatt...I'll be calling him Mijumaru until I learn how to say the name =/ Nintendo really has been disappointing me in the names department since Generation III...and I thought Generation IV was horrible D:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Guys, guys, enough of the hate. We just don't like the names because we're used to the old ones. We wouldn't like them even if they were something epic, like Shellslasher, The Serpenator and Super-Duper-Flamey-Explodey-Boom-Boom-Pig.

Give them time. They'll grow on you. Like fungus! Delicious fungus.
    Heh, pretty good summary. Oddly there seems to be more 'hate' here than other places, but oh well. I do predict that it'll fade having seen it happen before time and time again. Good old Pokemon fandom.

I do wonder what the evolution names shall be, certainly. XD

Oshawott. BIG WORDS SHOWING DISLIKE FOR NAME.
    Any reason for that, curiously? =/
    What the freak was wrong with "Wotter"? Oshawott doesn't even sound that cute.
    Well, tbh that's subjective. I've seen others say it's 'cute'...

Years
  • The best names I could come up with for all 3 starters, and their evo's are:

Tsutarja - Snivy (What's with that 'Smugleaf' crap, anyways?)
    Janovy - Slyvine
    Jalorda - Serplant (I've been seeing this name going around.. it's clever :3)

Pokabu - Pyroink
    Chaoboo - Emboar (Can't really think of a better name...)
    Enbuoh - Exploink (Boarbeque isn't that bad, though :P)

Mijumaru - Wotter? Heck, I have no idea what name is good for this one... :<
    Futachimaru - Clamurai... meh
    Daikenki - Samurtide

O_O I was... right? Now that's pretty crazy. xD
    But heck, tons of other people thought of Snivy as well.

Tepig and Oshawott are horrible, though. I was hoping that Pokabu's English name would at least start with a P... not a T. D: And Oshawott... heck, it's "Oshawott". T_T

Weavile1110101

Casual Battler
    Years
  • I've changed my mind about these from when I first saw them. I was going to pick Tsutarja as a starter due to its nice design, the name Snivy sounds terrible - it kinda sounds like snide, which was 'implied' by Smugleaf.

Tepig sounds stupid. It's a fire pig, not some 38-degree-C pool. Give it a real fire name, like Pignite. That at least sounds cool. It doesn't even look very good.

Now, Oshawott may be retarded - 'Osha' + 'Wott'? Maybe it's backwards? Like wash otter, or something... But it's the best name they came up with IMO.

Anyway, I was talking with one of my friends and came up with a cool (well I thought it was) idea -

Revolver Oshawott!
    Official English Name Discussion

The way it rolls off the tongue! It certainly makes its name easier to remember...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Has no one considered that "Oshawott" comes from "ocean"...? Or am I just really clever?
    T3hpig is a silly name. Tepid is a good word, however, so it's forgivable.

No, I just got confirmation that his name is actually Smugleaf and that "Snivy" is just a typo. That's why his name is Smugleaf in my game. It makes sense because both start with "S," "mu" is very close to "ni" on the keyboard (m is next to n and u is next to i), and they were really drunk when they were typing "gleaf." Which he is. A gleaf.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Has no one considered that "Oshawott" comes from "ocean"...? Or am I just really clever?

No, I just got confirmation that his name is actually Smugleaf and that "Snivy" is just a typo. That's why his name is Smugleaf in my game. It makes sense because both start with "S," "mu" is very close to "ni" on the keyboard (m is next to n and u is next to i), and they were really drunk when they were typing "gleaf." Which he is. A gleaf.

No, the very first word that popped into my head when I read its name was Ocean XD

I like all the names, though Oshawott is a bit long to say, and still sounds like a Japanese word :/ Snivy is awesome, still upholds Tsutarja's snobbish personality as well as a grass reference. Tepig sounds okay. I am fine with it.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen today
    well these names are ze BESTO DESU

oshawott definately is something i'd never though of XD

this is making me wanna buy the english version MORE

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • they called it snivy not smugleaf. Those sneaky bee studs.

Tepig makes no sense, but Oshawott has a nice ring (sounds like ocelot lol)

honestly if you're going to use fan names use the right things rofl use wotter not oshawott and smugleaf not snivy (snivy is terrible).

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Alright, my opinions on the names.

Snivy's a predictable one. Make sense basically the best literal adaptation of Tsutarja you could do in English without just romanizing it. I like the name.

It's a combination of Snake and Ivy obviously; but, I think snide is another possible influence. It fits with the name still and it goes for the whole "smug" route in Smugleaf. Although snide, snarky, etc. just usually means smartass, in the right context is can work with smug.

---------------------------------------

Tepig, not a bad name. Just not a name I would of thought of at all.

Not much of an opinion.

Oshawott, in the same area as Tepig. Just looks like an anagram of a portmanteau to be honest. (Otter + Wash)

Finally, the region name. I'm torn; while it's nice to see them get clever with a Region name. They don't need to. I'm glad they went for a similar meaning to Isshu, it's just weird to see a main game's region get renamed. Why start now? On top of that it's more than just English getting a new name for the region. So, not only is there Isshu and Unova to worry about, you've now got: Isshu, Unova, Einall, Tessila, Unys, Unima. It's just getting to the point of why a separate name for each real world region? I would've been fine with just Isshu and Unova, but 6 is just crazy for the same place.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • But the names... aren't too bad, like I said. There's only one name that really doesn't get my attention... and that is Tepig.

If you replace Tepig in your statement with "the pig", it becomes so much funnier...while at the same time seems to inadvertently significantly increase the original amount of disdain you statement conveyed. :cer_laugh: Ugh...I think Tepig wins the award for "most uncreative Pokemon name ever that technically really isn't"...

Snivy doesn't really bother me as much and nor does Tepig...I hope it does have the long E sound because then the name really grows on me, but I'd probably nickname him Floink XD As for Oshawatt...I'll be calling him Mijumaru until I learn how to say the name =/ Nintendo really has been disappointing me in the names department since Generation III...and I thought Generation IV was horrible D:

Teapig sounds even worse, yet funnier at the same time... :cer_laugh: Though I'm calling Mijumaru Wotter from now on (the Japanese name is even better than Oshawott for the name of the first stage Pokemon...)

Heh, pretty good summary. Oddly there seems to be more 'hate' here than other places, but oh well. I do predict that it'll fade having seen it happen before time and time again. Good old Pokemon fandom.

I do wonder what the evolution names shall be, certainly. XD

Any reason for that, curiously? =/

Well, tbh that's subjective. I've seen others say it's 'cute'...

As for the big text I featured, it was a feeble attempt to replicate and express the utter "Double-yew. Tee. Eff." facepalm-ish sensation that coursed through the veins in my body as soon as the name Oshawott popped itself up on Pokemon.com. One of the biggest "WTF?" moments I have ever experienced, especially considering how excited I was to see the reveal of the English BW starter names.

And yeah, the "cuteness" of the name Wotter>Oshawott is subjective, of course... Just stating my opinion that I feel that Wotter is much cuter.

O_O I was... right? Now that's pretty crazy. xD
    But heck, tons of other people thought of Snivy as well.

Tepig and Oshawott are horrible, though. I was hoping that Pokabu's English name would at least start with a P... not a T. D: And Oshawott... heck, it's "Oshawott". T_T

Congrats on the guess, and I extend that congrats to the others who guessed the English name correctly (though it was slightly obvious/predictable...). And yeah, I cried at Oshawott as well...

Has no one considered that "Oshawott" comes from "ocean"...? Or am I just really clever?

^:cer_laugh: :cer_laugh: :cer_laugh:

I was thinking if shaw was an actual word, but I can only find forest-themed connotations with it... According to Behind The Name:

shaw Entry at BehindTheName said:
    SHAW (1)
    Usage: English (Rare)
    Pronounced: SHAW [key]

From a surname which was derived from a place name meaning "forest, copse" in Old English.

Ugh...Oshawott is just...not suited for Mijumaru. The simplistic Wotter would have sufficed perfectly, IMO. Besides the pronunciation (which is half fun-to-say, half very-odd-to-say) and the apparent corruption of the term wash, the name seems way out of left field. If the localizing team can go with the widely expected Snivy, why couldn't they go with Wotter? I'm sure it's likely that they must have come across the suggestion at least once while roaming the Internet... And it would seem like the origins of the names of the first-stage starter Pokemon would be fairly easy to guess or decipher, seeing as they are usually the first Pokemon you encounter... As it stands now, I would say that the name Oshawott would be partially viable for Futachimaru, though, rather than Mijumaru/Wotter... It seems like they were trying to do too much with the name, though...for starter Pokemon names, I would say just combine two common words and move on... They shouldn't be some overcomplicated mess like Oshawott... :cer_no:

I still dislike the name Snivy; it seems like something that would be reserved for a normal lesser-seen Pokemon, not the freaking regional starter. Every time I read it, I think of someone saying "Stop sniveling, Snivy," which, IMO, totally goes against the vibe someone gets from Tsutarja.

As for Tepig...eh. I might adjust to it. But right now, Pokabu would fitted so much better...

Tepig sounds stupid. It's a fire pig, not some 38-degree-C pool. Give it a real fire name, like Pignite. That at least sounds cool. It doesn't even look very good.

Now, Oshawott may be retarded - 'Osha' + 'Wott'? Maybe it's backwards? Like wash otter, or something... But it's the best name they came up with IMO.

Anyway, I was talking with one of my friends and came up with a cool (well I thought it was) idea -

Revolver Oshawott!
    Official English Name Discussion

The way it rolls off the tongue! It certainly makes its name easier to remember...

I agree with your opinion on Tepig. That piglet is supposed to be burning things to a crisp. Heck, it learns freaking Boiling Water, not some wimpy weak Tepid Water that will hardly inflict the "Burn" status...

LOL at the Revolver Oshawott thing. Took me a few seconds to get the reference. I would nickname my Wotter "Revolver", if only it didn't clash with the samurai theme of Wotter's line. If you Google oshawott right now (WTF? The Google logo has vegetables in now?!), you even see a Neoseeker thread named that and another thread saying that Oshawott=Ocelot...

And lastly, namewise, Wotter>Oshawott! :cer_nod:

honestly if you're going to use fan names use the right things rofl use wotter not oshawott and smugleaf not snivy (snivy is terrible).

Exactly!

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • And lastly, namewise, Wotter>Oshawott! :cer_nod:

Yes, Wotter sounds way better, though it sounds a bit too similar to 'water'.

Just a suggestion to Forever or Kaori, maybe this thread should be fused with the starter discussion, seeing as they are related to the same thing :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just a suggestion to Forever or Kaori, maybe this thread should be fused with the starter discussion, seeing as they are related to the same thing :3

Well, merging them together really has no point, considering the original discussion in this thread was specilation for all the names, which would just make starter discussion too messy. After a while, we'll advise people to put their thoughts in the starter discussion rather than here (pretty sure that's what we decided), but for the moment, it's fine.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • What!? Nice ring? The name sounds laaaame. I mean, come on. Tepig and Snivy is.. okay, but not as worse as Oshawott. Serebii even have troubled confirming what the heck made up Oshawott. .________.
    I think it has a nice ring. I oppose you.

I also think we'll get more simple names (fresh start) and I think Hihidaruma's English name might be close to its Japanese name, because of its Daruma Mode ability.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back