• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    English or Japanese names?

This is a relatively controversial question about the names of the starters and other pokemon.

Just wanna know if i'm the only one who hates the English names too :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Meeeerged as we're discussing your opinions on the starter's English names here already. Also, the prefix "B/W Weekly Poll" is only for the use of Forever and myself. ;)

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    Chaobuu - Charboar (Almost a romanization & Charcoal + Boar)
    Enbuoh - Emboar (Almost romanization & Ember + Boar)

Futitchimaru - Wotterfall (I'm sorry, I had to)
    Daikenki - Ragosha (Rage + Ocean)

Minezumi - Beahog (Beaver + Hog)
    Miruhog - Meerhog (Merrkat + Hog, as in it's Meerkat-like behaviour)

Yooterri - Terrior (Terrier)
    Haderia - Biterrier (Bite + Terrier)
    Muurando - Graderrier (Grand + Terrier)

Choroneko - Chronecho (Almost romanization)

Shimama - Zapra (Zap + Zebra)
    Zebraika - Zapraika (Almost romanizaiton)

Meguroco - Deserdile (Desert + Crocodile)
    Warvile - Wardile (War + Crocodile)
    Warvial - Wargator (War + Alligator)

Bachuru - Infantula (Infant + Tarantula)
    Denchura - Voltula (Volt + Tarantula)

I think that Munna and Musharna will keep their names. I also think that all the legendaries, Chillarmy and Ulgamoth will keep their names too. The rest I couldn't think...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    So someone else found this and I thought it quite interesting, in regards to Oshawott's name...

Spoiler:
    Gotta love amusing edits. XD

ConPO

I am the Catalyst
    Years
    I am indifferent to the names Snivy and Oshawott but I must say, I love Tepig. I am going to wait for the game to come out in Europe so I can play it in English....

I am not usually a follower of the names when they come out, but I must say, compared to Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup, these names sound original and charming. The Sinnoh starters names sounded rushed and a little bit silly.

Years
    I don't know if this has been suggested before (it seems like the kind of name that would have been thought of before), but what about Anjelly for Pururiru or Burungeru?

Years
    I don't know if this has been suggested before (it seems like the kind of name that would have been thought of before), but what about Anjelly for Pururiru or Burungeru?

Oh, I like that one. :0
    Is it like... a combination of angel and jelly? That would work. :3

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    So someone else found this and I thought it quite interesting, in regards to Oshawott's name...

Spoiler:
    Gotta love amusing edits. XD

That would have been truly hilarious if the article was actually true.
    But no matter, Oshawott's name is already starting to grow on me now.

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
    Chaobuu - Charboar (Almost a romanization & Charcoal + Boar)
    Enbuoh - Emboar (Almost romanization & Ember + Boar)

Futitchimaru - Wotterfall (I'm sorry, I had to)
    Daikenki - Ragosha (Rage + Ocean)

Minezumi - Beahog (Beaver + Hog)
    Miruhog - Meerhog (Merrkat + Hog, as in it's Meerkat-like behaviour)

Yooterri - Terrior (Terrier)
    Haderia - Biterrier (Bite + Terrier)
    Muurando - Graderrier (Grand + Terrier)

Choroneko - Chronecho (Almost romanization)

Shimama - Zapra (Zap + Zebra)
    Zebraika - Zapraika (Almost romanizaiton)

Meguroco - Deserdile (Desert + Crocodile)
    Warvile - Wardile (War + Crocodile)
    Warvial - Wargator (War + Alligator)

Bachuru - Infantula (Infant + Tarantula)
    Denchura - Voltula (Volt + Tarantula)

I think that Munna and Musharna will keep their names. I also think that all the legendaries, Chillarmy and Ulgamoth will keep their names too. The rest I couldn't think...

I actually like Wotterfall. But i disagree with Voltula. Too similar to Voltolos. Also, I dont think they will be doing lots of romanizations. Only the legendarys and Wargle.

whatthefee

Herp
    Years
    I reckon these starter names are pretty disappointing, I mean 'Tepig' what on Earth is that supposed to be? ;_; I hope they give the rest of the generation better names or they're gonna ruin an amazing generation

The Red Chain

Honestly, the first time I saw the names on PJ I kind of thought it was a prank.
    Oshawott and Tepig are just so incredibly random when you don't think about it.. or at least the fashion they were done in.
    I would have never put a word meaning "lukewarm" with a Pokemon like Pokabu.. maybe it's a pun off his final evolution having a mutation of "broil" in his name..?
    Either way, it still makes little sense to me. Fire is not exactly lukewarm. XD;

Oshawott sounds like ocean water/otter when I say it out loud, so I guess it's an interesting pun.. but the spelling and the fashion the name is in makes the name look so.. sloppy to me..
    Snivy was long predicted, and I was not surprised when I saw it. Despite that, I'm still having small issues with it. It's just a direct translation of Tsutaja.. making it a little less than amazing.

Too simplistic to appreciate Oshawott, too confused to like Tepig, and too complicated to enjoy Snivy. -Le Sigh-

Oh well, the starters were all hated on in some shape or form when they were first released, and now most of them are adored by the majority.
    Same fate will occur for the English names if given the time~

Last edited:

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
    Years
    Believe me, you are not alone. In one of my youtube videos (i'm flygonproductions569) i said the same thing. Oshawott is OK but Tepig and Snivy are TERRIBLE. When I get BW in English I'll name everything after their Japanese name.

The Red Chain

I think we all tend to enjoy Japanese names a little more because most of us are not used to the Japanese language. It provides something different for us, and can seem a little more creative than the English counterparts at times.
    But, when you really think about it, Tsutaja and Snivy are one in the same. There's no difference other than language.
    Tsutaja just has the exotic feel, and sounds pretty cool. Snivy sounds generic next to Tsutaja if Tsutaja was the first name you learned.

When it came to the other 4 gens, I never learned the Japanese names because I was either too young to venture much, or I was out of my Pokemon phase when the Japanese versions of the games were out.
    The English names always sounded great to me growing up, and I never had an issue with any of them. When you adapt something, like Japanese names, it's pretty hard to get used to anything else.
    If you had never known the Japanese names and had first learned the English names, I doubt anyone would feel this way about 'em.

Admittedly, after this post, I'm rethinking my above one.
    I might be contradicting myself a little, yes, but I suppose all this is the only reason the names aren't exactly adored yet. XD;

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I saw this in the Gym and Gym Leaders discussion thread and thought I'd bring it over here. [thanks to that person] ;) The thought was the English name for Fuuro could be Ava. I don't know whether it has anything to relate to her typing or her Japanese name itself, but it just seems like a suitable name overall. The more I repeat it, the more I could see it happening. I do however, would like to hear a good name for Fuuro as she's a pretty cool Gym Leader.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I saw this in the Gym and Gym Leaders discussion thread and thought I'd bring it over here. [thanks to that person] ;) The thought was the English name for Fuuro could be Ava. I don't know whether it has anything to relate to her typing or her Japanese name itself, but it just seems like a suitable name overall. The more I repeat it, the more I could see it happening. I do however, would like to hear a good name for Fuuro as she's a pretty cool Gym Leader.
    Oh I remember that comment, the person who suggested that name got it from the word Aviation...
    Though her name could also be Avia... which reminds me of Staravia which is a flying type which happens to be her type :P

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I despise Mijumaru's and Pokabu's English names so much ;~; Snivy is just to cute to hate, so :D

But those are the most god awful names ever created :/ And you can guess were gonna get something totally gross like; Waterot for Daikenki Dx

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
    Years
    Why couldn't they have just named it Wotter ;A; Oshawott just sounds terrible. And Tepig sounds like it's going to create a whole new storm of luljokes like mudkip :I

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back