• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Why couldn't they have just named it Wotter ;A; Oshawott just sounds terrible. And Tepig sounds like it's going to create a whole new storm of luljokes like mudkip :I

the names for the 5th generation starters do suck a lot....But I think for the legendary trio of genies, they'll keep the name that they have now...I kind of like them

:t354:TG

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years

the names for the 5th generation starters do suck a lot....But I think for the legendary trio of genies, they'll keep the name that they have now...I kind of like them

:t354:TG

GTFO Snivy is the best name ever ;w; I hope all the legends keep their japanese names, except the "grey" mascot; I can't pronounce his D:

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2010
    I despise Mijumaru's and Pokabu's English names so much ;~; Snivy is just to cute to hate, so :D

But those are the most god awful names ever created :/ And you can guess were gonna get something totally gross like; Waterot for Daikenki Dx

hahah Waterot, if it really is going to be that I'm going to be amused and disgusted at the same time xD

But seriously, what are these starter names? They are terrible. All the other starter names have been pretty good, but these just suck.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020

Kyurem isn't that hard to pronounce it's just Kyo and reem
    Yeah Snivy is a great name :) (I'm glad that I was one of the few who predicted it :) )
    Not exactly. Kyurem would be more like: K-you-reh-m or Q-reh-m

キュレム

キ (K/Ki)
    ュ (yu)
    レ (re)
    ム (m)

What you're saying would be:

キョリム

キ (K/Ki)
    ョ (yo)
    リ (ri/ree)
    ム (m)

Not trying to be "that guy"; but, the info isn't exactly right.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Not exactly. Kyurem would be more like: K-you-reh-m or Q-reh-m

キュレム

キ (K/Ki)
    ュ (yu)
    レ (re)
    ム (m)

What you're saying would be:

キョリム

キ (K/Ki)
    ョ (yo)
    リ (ri/ree)
    ム (m)

Not trying to be "that guy"; but, the info isn't exactly right.

Thats right ;w; make it even worser for me ;~;

I hope the Ghost squids keep there names! :o

El Diabeetus

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020

Thats right ;w; make it even worser for me ;~;

I hope the Ghost squids keep there names! :o
    Haha, sorry. Well, think about it this way. Since a majority of the times these names come up it's when your alone reading. So, whatever pronunciation you decide will work.

I was just trying to show from that actual linguistics of how the name should be pronounced according to the Katakana.

El Diabeetus

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Maybe a possible name for Nageki and Dageki.

Judoshida (Judo + Yoshida [UFC Fighter])
    Karatemura (Karate + Nakamura [UFC Fighter]

I rethought out names for these two to go with something closer to the Hitmon naming scheme.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Maybe a possible name for Nageki and Dageki.

Judoshida (Judo + Yoshida [UFC Fighter])
    Karatemura (Karate + Nakamura [UFC Fighter]

I rethought out names for these two to go with something closer to the Hitmon naming scheme.

Nice but I would think they would have the same ending or starting sounds. Like Hitmon or something, as they look like they would fight the saame style.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Pokemon.com just confirmed that Zoroark and Zorua keep their Japanese names and the ability Illusion keeps its name but the move Claw Sharpen is called Hone Claws and Trickery is named Foul Play. Zorua is the Tricky Fox Pokemon and Zoroark is the Illusion Fox Pokemon.

I reckon that the elemental monkeys names will be revealed next.

Years
    Pokemon.com just confirmed that Zoroark and Zorua keep their Japanese names and the ability Illusion keeps its name but the move Claw Sharpen is called Hone Claws and Trickery is named Foul Play. Zorua is the Tricky Fox Pokemon and Zoroark is the Illusion Fox Pokemon.

Ooh, I actually like the name "Foul Play" more than Trickery. And their species names seem good too. The only thing I DON'T like is "Hone Claws". The hell? =/

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Ooh, I actually like the name "Foul Play" more than Trickery. And their species names seem good too. The only thing I DON'T like is "Hone Claws". The hell? =/
    Well hone claws makes sense as Hone is another word for sharpen.
    I like it that Zorua and Zoroark kept their names though there wasn't much doubt about that as we had some hints to it prior.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Really? Yay!

So, iirc, we got Zoroark/Zorua first, followed by Reshiram/Zekrom then Pokabu/Tsutaaja/Mijumaru, so, since it went Reshiram/Zekrom, Tepig/Snivy/Oshawott and then Zoroark/Zorua for us, we should get the next batch released after Chillarmy next (I can recall that Chillarmy etc were in mid June, so we'll get the batch after them maybe, then followed by Chillarmy, etc's English names).

I'm not sure about the pattern of other generations, but from what we know already, the order of names being revealed should be reversed (if that makes sense?)

Or alternatively like mentioned, the monkeys. :x

El Diabeetus

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'm glad Zoroark made it. But, now that makes the incorrect Zorua a real spelling, crap. It makes no sense.

Zorua
    Zoroark

They both come from Zorro. That romanization is retarded.

Zorua = ゾルア not ゾロア (the Katakana in Japanese for its name) which = Zoroa.

Oh well no use complaining about it now.

Although I did notice; look at the screenshot with Foul Play. Both Zoroark and Zoroa's names are lowercase. While I like that they're finally doing away with ALL CAPS, it's a bit inconsistent; especially when the rest of the games have UPPERCASE in them. And what about when you send over your R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/P/HG/SS Pokémon over?

Jerpy

Give me your cookies...!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    I'm glad Zoroark made it. But, now that makes the incorrect Zorua a real spelling, crap. It makes no sense.

Zorua
    Zoroark

Although I did notice; look at the screenshot with Foul Play. Both Zoroark and Zoroa's names are lowercase. While I like that they're finally doing away with ALL CAPS, it's a bit inconsistent; especially when the rest of the games have UPPERCASE in them. And what about when you send over your R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/P/HG/SS Pokémon over?

I get what you mean with the whole Zorua and Zoroa think but, i guess it's just how it is -plus I prefer to say Zorua that Zoroa, anyway...
    Oh, and I noticed the change of the names too. I think it's great as it was what I really wanted to occur and it makes the names of the Pokemon look more neat and tidy. Also, I think that when you import a Pokemon from the 4th Generation games, their name's will probably change to lowercase aswell, if you haven't changed the names of the Pokemon already. I'm sure that wouldn't be anything too difficult for Pokemon USA to handle. :)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Zorua
    Zoroark

Oh cool they got rid of all caps now for the Pokemon names :)! Now I don't think anything in Pokemon has all caps...

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I'm happy that Zorua and Zoroark got to keep their names. I honestly can't see them with any other name. I was hoping Tsutarja would be called Smugleaf, but I can get used to Snivy. I like the name Oshawott; it just seems cute for me. As for Tepig... good God, horrible Pokémon - horrible name, so it makes sense.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Oh cool they got rid of all caps now for the Pokemon names :)! Now I don't think anything in Pokemon has all caps...
    I wouldn't be that confident in that - for instance D/P had an english demo which did not feature the Pokemon's names in CAPSLOCK, but then they went and reverted it back. =( We shall see though, but I can't say my hopes are that high.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back