• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowflakes

GONNA HATE?
    Years
    ...Whimsicott?!
    I AM DISAPPOINT.
    :C

Should have kept it as "Erufuun"...

Other than that, I really don't have that much of a problem with the English names. They're clever in their own ways, just like their designs. I'm loving this generation more and more with every leak~

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Personally, I think Whimsicott is one of the best names this generation. Way better than Erufuun. I think most people are just used to the Japenese names, but the English ones will grow on us.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Excadrill is an okay-ish name. As I stated before, one of the few that I've liked is Hydreigon, and its just because it sounds really badass and stuff. xDD; Haxorus...it sounds a bit too cheesy for me, but I guess it's okay for the most part. .__. But most of these English names are at least slightly cheesy to me in some way...
    lol at least half of the Pokemon each gen have cheesy names plus the Japanese ones are cheesy too but we don't get them as we don't know Japanese...

Years
    Some people still mock the name Bidoof...and other sinnoh names...
    I personally like the names and I'm sure most of us will get used to them like we did with Sinnoh's (though I never had a problem with the Sinnoh names as I never learn their JP names...).

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2024
    Ein, Zwein, Drei. I'm surprised I even noticed this, I haven't taken German since 6th grade.

I can say that, for the most part, gen 5 names are okay. A lot of them seem rushed or really really stupid, though. I don't want to have to look through that list to point out some random examples.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Iris is still Iris and Dent has been named Cilan.

I'm not surprised Iris stayed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Iris is still Iris and Dent has been named Cilan.

I'm not surprised Iris stayed.

I was gunna post about this before but I wasn't sure whether anyone else actually found it on the cartoon network site. XD;

But! I'm happy with Cilan, it's 100x better than Dento, hopefully the other gym leaders will be awesome too. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm glad that Iris kept her name. It suits her perfectly. I don't like Cilan that much, to be honest. Dent sounds a lot better.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I never liked the name Dent.

I mean.... come on. Dent? Seriously? Idk is that dent as in Al dente or dent as in a car that has been kicked really hard? Either way it just sounds horribly wrong as a human name.

Chillan -- Er, I mean Cilan sounds awful, too, but it's not as bad as Dent.

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    I like Cilan. It sounds far better than ... DENT. Also, it sounds a bit like the Chilan berry. Will the others be named after berries too?

Also, Iris staying was no surprise at all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I like Cilan. It sounds far better than ... DENT. Also, it sounds a bit like the Chilan berry. Will the others be named after berries too?

I doubt it, because I don't really see how Dento or the other two are related to any types of berries, but I guess in Pokemon once they grab ahold of something they go with it, so... berries, maybe, but I still don't think so. XD

21k.

Elsword

I'm Not Sure About This
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011

Also, Iris staying was no surprise at all.
    Berries? Cilan is based off of a herb called "cilantro".

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I would of liked something like Dennis or Danny, but I guess Cilan is good too.

Years
    Hmm "Cilantro", so what foods will be good for the other two? Chil (after Chile) Jalapen (after Jalapeno) for the fire gym leader
    I can only think of Watermel for the water brother as it's one of the most water containing fruits.

Elsword

I'm Not Sure About This
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    ^
    Now you're only thinkin' of Mexican stuff.

Pod could be named Cinna.
    Corn could be called... Eh, no idea.

@Meduza
    Dennis and Danny aren't punny names.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Lol, I like the name Cilan and I am excited to hear the names of the other 2 in his gym...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back