• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Official] Game Development Monthly - Issue No.2

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
  • Game Development Monthly
    Issue #2 - February 2012

NEWS

Section Changes

The Game Development section has been restructured, to provide a tidier layout and a more logical arrangement of the various aspects of the section. The dust is still settling, but it seems to be working.

"Help & Resources" has been renamed to "Tutorials & Resources". This section is the home of guides, graphics, music and scripts that can help you build a better game. The rename better highlights what the section is for.

The "Beginner's Lounge" has been merged into the "Beginner's Showcase", as the two served much the same purpose. All new games, and even ideas for games, go in here. Creativity abounds!

"Pokémon Essentials" now has its very own section, which some would say was long overdue. With dedicated threads for the latest releases, discussions and projects, and a variety of thread prefixes to describe what your new threads are about, this section is for everything Essentials.

The new section layout is bound to be a welcome change, making it even easier to tell where to put your posts and find the things you need.

Pokémon Essentials Updates

A few days ago, Pokémon Essentials v5 was released, only a month after v4 came out at Christmas. As usual, there's plenty of improvements, not least of which is the MySQL support which could revolutionise online play (by allowing it at all). For more information about the latest release, check out this thread.

attachment.php

Is this the future of Essentials?

While we're talking about Essentials releases, the next one (v6) has been revealed to be all about a screen resize and the resulting GUI interface redesigns (i.e. what the various menus and screens look like). There is a discussion thread for the GUI redesigns, and already there some very interesting ideas. To see what's going on, or if you have any thoughts or ideas about what Essentials should look like, check out this thread.

Pokémon Starterkit VX Ace, by Crazyninjaguy

GDM would like to welcome back Crazyninjaguy to the PokéCommunity, who has brought with him a new project: a Pokémon game-making kit for RPG Maker VX Ace! It will be in the style of the Pokémon Black and White games, and looks promising. It doesn't yet have a battle system, but other features are already in place such as being able to define Pokémon and trainers. This kit will provide a welcome boost to those of us who want to make a Pokémon game with RPG Maker VX Ace. More information can be found in this thread.

TIPS & TRICKS

Building Your World
    by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ and Maruno

There are many ways to build a world for your story to take place in, and not everyone does it the same way. Building a complete world is challenging and highly rewarding, and can be very time-consuming. There could be many great and unique ideas hidden deep inside you, just waiting to burst out in a rush of creativity. The world is the very backbone of your game, and it needs to be made properly and with great care. On a very basic level, there are two approaches to building a world all of your own.

Work Inside-Out: An inside-out approach to world building will have you starting small. Come up with a single location, and build around it. The main idea is that you build the surrounding world as you go, not worrying about what the whole world will look like as you can create more of it when you need to. Your world will take form as you progress, hopefully in the same order that the player will experience it, so you'll have a better feel for the player's experiences. Building inside-out allows you to dive straight into map-making and dialogue and so forth, without being bogged down by the often daunting prospect of planning absolutely everything out beforehand.

The inside-out method suits people who want immediate results, or who are confident in their ideas or just like winging it. It can result in greater variations in geography and philosophy, as you will spend months inventing everything as you go rather than getting it all done (relatively) quickly at the start. However, with this method it is easier to lose focus on the overall game, resulting in an uneven flow. Retconning earlier maps to include ideas you only think up later on will also be a common occurrence.

Work Outside-In: Zoom out and start with a bird's-eye view. With this method, you will begin with an overarching narrative or world design, and then systematically fill in the locations. This will give you a constant theme from the start to work with, allowing for a more consistent world and a better flow as you will have already planned out what happens where. It also keeps retcons to a minimum, as you are less likely to want to radically change everything halfway through.

The outside-in method suits people who enjoy planning everything out, and those who are prefer high levels of consistency. You won't get anything substantial out of your game for a while, and when you start mapping and so forth it can be less exciting as you already know exactly what's going on. If you plan out everything quickly, your game may not be very diverse as you won't have spent long thinking about it, and this is boring to the player. However, actual development will be easier as you will know what needs to be done, and the game will be more consistent. You're also less likely to get stuck halfway through.

Both methods have pros and cons, but fortunately they're both extremes. The style that best suits you is most likely somewhere between the two, but exactly where will depend on the person. The only way you can find out what works for you is to try!

GAME SPOTLIGHTS

"Pokémon Obsidian Version" demo 2 released
    LINK: Pokémon Obsidian Version

Atomic Reactor has released his second demo for "Pokémon Obsidian Version", which features over 100 battle animations, optional missions, and game play up to the third town. Atomic Reactor has also posted a video walkthrough for the first 10 minutes of the game.

17.png

"Pokémon: Pristine Version" announced
    LINK: Pokémon: Pristine Version

A new project presented by The Dewitty and Abnegation has recently surfaced, and has already found its way into The Showcase. "Pokémon Pristine Version" features custom tiles in the 4th Gen style, and a rich story to pull the player in.

010ba.png
    001opj.png

"Pokémon: Lost Legends" relaunched
    LINK: Pokémon: Lost Legends

"Lost Legends" has once again been posted in The Showcase by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™. The thread has a polished layout, with screenshots and music, and a blog-like section for official updates and development notes.

seat_of_the_ancients_by_worldslayer608-d4ndo6l.png
    welcome_to_the_safari_by_worldslayer608-d4k4lbq.png

YOUR TURN

Each month, GDM will come up with something you can have a go at. It could be a small project, a competition, a question or discussion, or something else. This month, we want to know your answer to the following question:

What is the most important philosophy to you when it comes to game design?

There are plenty of thoughts to be had when designing a game. For example, do you think it is better to be different or better to stick to the tried and tested? Is keeping true to the game's theme more important than giving people what they want? Are deadlines a factor, i.e. is having something at all preferable to having a game you consider complete? Is another philosophy more important to you?

Please let us know what you think!

CREDITS

ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ - Writer, Editor
    Maruno - Writer, Editor
    Cilerba - CSS Layout

Do you want your name here? GDM is always looking for contributors and articles of any kind. If you are interested in helping out, send a PM to ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™.

*All opinions expressed in GDM are those of the writers who expressed them, and do not represent the views of GDM as a whole nor those of the other contributors.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Nice Issue! Do you plan on showcasing and interviewing other people that have different styled games? It may just be me but it seems you're only showing off to the public the HGSS/BW games, correct me if I'm wrong.

xdanx

But you can call me Dan :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2012
    Nice Issue! Do you plan on showcasing and interviewing other people that have different styled games? It may just be me but it seems you're only showing off to the public the HGSS/BW games, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it doesn't depend on style, but how serious the project is. Frankly, there aren't too many really serious games in progress right now with older graphic styles.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I really liked it. I think you should of added the news of a new mod here too. That was cool news last month.

I really liked the "Building Your World" piece. Those 2 development styles was something I learned in college so it was very cool to see it mentioned there.

Well done on this issue!

Edit: I'll answer the question at the end
    You are not a big game studio. You are an indie developer. Money is not a factor. So make a game you want to play. That's my philosophy for game design. If you understand how to make a game and have decided to - I hope the reason is for yourself. Get better. Enjoy it. And create something you will have fun developing/testing/playing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thanks for the mention! :D

In answer to the question at the bottom, my philosophy is to create games the way I'd want them to be, then mold them according to the feedback I receive.
    I always create things that I think other people will like, because ultimately, they'll be the ones playing it.

Also, when creating systems, I always think at the "new user" level. So I think if I was a new user, would I actually know how to work this thing.

Anyways, great issue, looking forward to next month's!

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Nice Issue! Do you plan on showcasing and interviewing other people that have different styled games? It may just be me but it seems you're only showing off to the public the HGSS/BW games, correct me if I'm wrong.

The games that made it in this issue were games that had some news to them. What qualifies a game for a mention has nothing to do with the style or the developer, but how noteworthy the announcement is.

I think it doesn't depend on style, but how serious the project is. Frankly, there aren't too many really serious games in progress right now with older graphic styles.

As mentioned above, it is how noteworthy the news regarding the game is.

I really liked it. I think you should off added the news of a new mod here too. That was cool news last month.

Yeah, it was spaced. I am just use to seeing Abnegation as a moderator and his move to GD went under the radar with me until he mentioned it last night over MSN after I posted it haha.

Edit: I'll answer the question at the end
    You are not a big game studio. You are an indie developer. Money is not a factor. So make a game you want to play. That's my philosophy for game design. If you understand how to make a game and have decided to - I hope the reason is for yourself. Get better. Enjoy it. And create something you will have fun developing/testing/playing.

For me, it is a hobby. It is a big reason I have managed to keep working on my game for 3 years without scrapping it and moving on. For that, I enjoy it. But I also take into account how playable it seems to those watching the project. I think the key is to balance development so that you cater to both your needs and that of those who will be playing your game.

I am curious how your philosophy changes from that of fan games to something like Zenforms. The question was a bit open in that it mentioned game design as a whole. So what is your philosophy when it comes to making a commercial game?

Glad to see everyone enjoys this months newsletter :). Remember, we are always looking for contributors, so if you would like to write an article let us know. Even mentioning some news about your project is a big help, just remember to contact me over PM not in the thread.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I am curious how your philosophy changes from that of fan games to something like Zenforms. The question was a bit open in that it mentioned game design as a whole. So what is your philosophy when it comes to making a commercial game?

My design philosophy is the same with ZENFORMS man. I'm making a game I want to play on the iPhone.
    The full title is ZENFORMS: Protectors, and is a "spiritual" version of the game I posted about here a few years ago called Pokemon Protectors.
    The game is a summary of some of my ideas even from my earliest Pokemon fan games like Digital Network.

Spoiler:

Of course - money is a factor since I pay for commission work out of my own bank account. I try not to worry. If I don't have the budget, I just wait until I do before I move forward and ask the artist for what I need.
    I'm not really making the game to make loads of money. I've been a paid Apple developer for 2 years and still no apps released because I believe I had to test the game on actual devices ASAP into development. When I release the game the pricing of the game will reflect that statement (less then $3).

To echo my earlier post's ending points..... I feel I've gotten better at programming and overall game design. I've enjoyed it. And I still mark out (go crazy) every time I test the game on the device. I even play the development build at night in bed to relax.

I've always felt that if you make a game just to get positive comments, or to convince people you are "skilled" - I think it's the wrong reason to make ANY game. No matter if it's a fan game or a AAA $10 million project.
    If you get fans from making a game you are designing for yourself- that's perfect. You've most likely met someone with the same taste as you in games. I think it's important to interact with them and not just "talk" to them with a game update post or something. If they say "OMG THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME" - take 2 minutes to send them a message privately or in a public post and says "Cheers man. That comment made my day!"

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Pretty good issue, but seemed pretty light on actual game content.

What is the most important philosophy to you when it comes to game design?
    Hmm... My current "philosophy" is trying to stand out from the crowd. the fact im not using essentialls automatically gives me that.
    I try add features and stuff you don't tend to see in pokemon.

Im definetly an inside-out developer. I tend to just go with it. I work very progress based, and like seeing results immediately. I develop in the natural progression of the game. I make a map, script it, polish it up, then start the next one.
    I did see with some other projects, is that you can see my skills evolving as you go further along the game. It's often reflected in my mapping style. So i tend to go back to older maps and sorta update them to keep them consistent.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The most important thing to me when it comes to me making a game is for it to be something I'd enjoy. If I like it, I'll care more about it and put more effort in making it good. I'm not afraid to cut features out that I don't personally like/use (e.g. eye-strain-o-vision, Battle Tower, Full Heal, etc. in Pokémon).

I'm very much an outside-in world-maker. I'll get an idea, develop it and develop it until I've planned out what happens where (including side-quests), come up with a play-by-play "walkthrough" to keep track of the flow, draw a region map, decide on main characters and their Pokémon, make a Pokédex, redesign parts of the GUI, and only then will I start mapping and deciding what a place actually looks like (rather than just knowing what happens there). The downside is that it's easier to overhaul things, so I end up doing so more often.

Atomic Reactor

Oh cool, I didn't know we had on of these things going again, I always liked these :3

I was also very surprised to see my game featured, especially since I just stumbled upon this haha. Thanks a lot for the mention guys, means a lot to me :) (btw, i posted videos of the entire game, not just the first 10 minutes ;) and the demo goes to the 5th town lol)

As far as my philosophy goes..

Make something you enjoy doing. Don't focus on trying to gain attention (though it's nice sometimes, to motivate you) as long as you are making a game that is up to your standards, and that you think looks pretty good, and that you really honestly enjoy working on, than that is all you need. Once you start to lose motivation and interest on making a game, then it's not fun anymore, and not worth the time.

I also liked the world building style part. I'm definitely an Inside Out guy :)

Can't wait to see more of these!

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Future Section

Seeking...

GDM is currently looking for members who are interested in writing opinion pieces for the Newsletter. What you write about can be anything you want as it pertains to Game Development. Topics can range from how you hate dual screens in games to rants about development trends and so on.

If you have something to say, we want to hear it! So let me know if you are interested in writing an opinion piece by sending me a PM.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Good edition.
    I don't think that Work Inside-Out works well in games like in other form of entertainment (books/television/HQ) because the game needs a system to support that isn't that easy to modificate like plots.
    I am a bigger Work Outside-In, I plan the most part a big time before any development, in some cases even years.
    The most important thing to me when it comes to me making a game is for it to be something I'd enjoy. If I like it, I'll care more about it and put more effort in making it good. I'm not afraid to cut features out that I don't personally like/use (e.g. eye-strain-o-vision, Battle Tower, Full Heal, etc. in Pokémon).

I'm very much an outside-in world-maker. I'll get an idea, develop it and develop it until I've planned out what happens where (including side-quests), come up with a play-by-play "walkthrough" to keep track of the flow, draw a region map, decide on main characters and their Pokémon, make a Pokédex, redesign parts of the GUI, and only then will I start mapping and deciding what a place actually looks like (rather than just knowing what happens there). The downside is that it's easier to overhaul things, so I end up doing so more often.
    I think a similiar thing. I like in making a game that I enjoy if I'm not I, but I also respect some fans opinions.
    Some of my testers surpassed 150 hours of gameplay, this type of players is the one that I like most because its remind me I when I am more young. I fix the Battle Tower thing to put that in my game and give to this type of players more features to make the game even more consistent and interesting to they.

Years
  • Nice issue, but I feel it was pretty short for a monthly issue. Perhaps adding some sections such as the interview as Evil Arms mentioned, Q/A, Advice- typical stuff newsletters and newspapers have. It has a lot of potential and a lot of room for improvement.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Nice issue, but I feel it was pretty short for a monthly issue. Perhaps adding some sections such as the interview as Evil Arms mentioned, Q/A, Advice- typical stuff newsletters and newspapers have. It has a lot of potential and a lot of room for improvement.

Currently, we are working on getting more content into the newsletters. This being the second issue, I am glad to say that it can only improve :).

I am excited for March's edition.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    About philosophy I think in three:

Don't try to do more that you can do!
    Don't think that the first game that you try to make will be THE ULTIMATE COLOSSAL GAME! This have 99% of chance that you give up and haven't reach in middle. As your going to make games, your skills at this will be increase, so spend some time improving your skill and be capable of finish a game project before make the ULTIMATE COLOSSAL GAME!

Be innovative!
    For me the main error at the Nintendo official games after Ruby/Sapphire is the lack of innovation on history. Every new game is about a new region with eight type-based badges with ancient legend about the cover pokémon. Again, again and AGAIN! The worst part is the numbers of fangame with the same cliché plot with no new spin! Be creative! f you go to use this cliché at least put some diference like 4/6/10 GYMs or even 16 like Johto, GYM based on other things like weather, region or even real animals like one GYM Leader using primate pokémon like Mankey, Aipom and Monferno. C'mon everybody, you can think on more creative game styles! Example (a little radical):
    -You are a Team Rocket remaining, after some attempts of restore the team your partners get arrested. After unsuccessful attempts to free your allies, you heard about a time-travel machine, so, after some attemps you manage to stole one and travel around the time to defeat red/gold and modify the team rocket destiny on RBY/GSC. Put some plots overturn like other time-travel rival, get your time machine stolen and need a Celebi/Dialga to make the same thing, find a future version of a partner, a son or even yourself that regret the change and try to stop you,

Don't give up!
    If you gives up, you waste most of your efforts, worst, disappoint all your fans! I personally prefer a bad, but complete game that a very good one, but incomplete.

xdanx

But you can call me Dan :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2012
    About philosophy I think in three:

Don't try to do more that you can do!
    Don't think that the first game that you try to make will be THE ULTIMATE COLOSSAL GAME! This have 99% of chance that you give up and haven't reach in middle. As your going to make games, your skills at this will be increase, so spend some time improving your skill and be capable of finish a game project before make the ULTIMATE COLOSSAL GAME!

Be innovative!
    For me the main error at the Nintendo official games after Ruby/Sapphire is the lack of innovation on history. Every new game is about a new region with eight type-based badges with ancient legend about the cover pokémon. Again, again and AGAIN! The worst part is the numbers of fangame with the same cliché plot with no new spin! Be creative! f you go to use this cliché at least put some diference like 4/6/10 GYMs or even 16 like Johto, GYM based on other things like weather, region or even real animals like one GYM Leader using primate pokémon like Mankey, Aipom and Monferno. C'mon everybody, you can think on more creative game styles! Example (a little radical):
    -You are a Team Rocket remaining, after some attempts of restore the team your partners get arrested. After unsuccessful attempts to free your allies, you heard about a time-travel machine, so, after some attemps you manage to stole one and travel around the time to defeat red/gold and modify the team rocket destiny on RBY/GSC. Put some plots overturn like other time-travel rival, get your time machine stolen and need a Celebi/Dialga to make the same thing, find a future version of a partner, a son or even yourself that regret the change and try to stop you,

Don't give up!
    If you gives up, you waste most of your efforts, worst, disappoint all your fans! I personally prefer a bad, but complete game that a very good one, but incomplete.
    Is great to see people giving good advices to the small developers. To be frank, that what you described, is the exact reason why I got bored of playing pokemon games, didn't even finish Pokemon White before I got bored and there it is, stored for nothing. I barely was able to end Diamond, and that was because the huge graphical change, I wanted to check everything, but story itself seemed really boring to me.

That's why if I find the time to make a game with Essentials, I have thought a different kind of story and, lots of changes in the gameplay. The only thing it would basically have from Pokemon, is the pokemon itselff, and the textures. I'm so SO bored of seeing 200 clones of G/S/C/R/S/E/D/P/Pt even here :/

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • March issue is going to be late guys, just a heads up. I have been on 20 hour days the last 2 weeks, working on crunching in some hours before I head to Salt Lake City for some MTG events. It will still be coming up for March though, so please sit tight.

Nerameshu

Regional Explorer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2012
    Take your time, bro. Also, do you want me to pm my contribution to you? I'll be sending it your way in a few hours, so I'll pm it if I don't hear anything else first.

Back