• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I can't be bothered checking if someone already posted this, but I found this glitch a few years back. I've only tested it on Silver, so I don't know if it works on Gold or Crystal.

Pretty much it lets you get all the starters without trading, more specifically you can replace your box 1 with a box 1 from a new save file. The pokemon won't be added in the Pokedex but their evolve forms will and when you breed them.

So here's how you do it, but firstly don't put any pokemon your not willing to lose in Box 1.

Now start a new game and play through until you get the pokeballs. Now catch any pokemon and put your starter in Box 1.

Now change boxes and when you are prompted to save, do so but when it tells you to not turn off your power do so.

Now go back to your original save file and the starter you put in should be in Box 1 and all your previous pokemon in Box 1 will be lost.

Riggzyd

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2013
If you save on the new profile you would just lost your old one? O.o

Or quitting early wont save i want someone to check this lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2011
wahtabout r/s/e they have some glitches like the all and might egg training and pomeg glitch (both glitches are related infact the pomeg glitch is needed to do egg training glitch

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
If you save on the new profile you would just lost your old one? O.o

Or quitting early wont save i want someone to check this lol

You obviously haven't done the cloning glitch on G/S/C, the point isn't to save but to confuse the system into mixing up data.

hikaru1234

Four Hitmonchan. Four of them.
Years
In dp (I know this is only meant to be about the metals and colors, shut up!!! ;D) Go underground with a friend. Then go into their secret base. Make them stand at the entrance and then walk out. You will be standing on top of them!!! :D

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2010
Purely cosmetic, but I had fun with this glitch. Go through your pokedex on Silver (and probably Gold) version, and look at the details on Bellossom. When it finishes doing it's cry, move your cursor to "cry" and press a. Halfway through it's cry, press up to make it look at the details for Vileplume. If you did this right, their cries will be mixed together, and it sounds really cool.

hackritus

Challenger
Years
More HP Than You Can Handle

I found out this really awesome glitch for R/B/Y as I experimented with Pokemon above Lv. 100 and finally got around to posting it on here. I have no idea whether people have known about this glitch or not, but I'm just gonna post it for my reassurance that the word gets spread.

Basically the result of the glitch is as follows: your Pokemon ends up having HP above what the games says is the max HP for that Pokemon. For example, you have a Haunter who's HP is "1025/234"...as you can see it's an improper fraction.

Now I'll explain how this is done. In order to do this glitch, you'll need to also accomplish the "Missingno Glitch" and the "Rare Candy Glitch." The reason being, you need a Pokemon above level 100 and the proper number of rare candies. (Basically as many rare candies as you want. You'll be able to use all of them.)

After obtaining your above-level-100 Pokemon and getting the number of rare candies you see fit, start raising that guy like crazy until he reaches Lv. 255. Once it reaches this level, one more rare candy will cause him to go back to level 1. DON'T DO THIS! For once you do, getting him above Lv. 100 is impossible.

Take the Lv. 255 Pokemon and deposit it into your PC and immediately withdraw it. The Pokemon will have decreased to Lv. 125, but if you look closely at all the Pokemon's attributes, you'll see that the Pokemon's HP will be what it was while it was at Lv. 255. At least, the HP available to it will say that. The Pokemon's max HP will say that it can only hold a smaller amount than what it has. Example: "1025/234". Something weird will begin to accur as well. The Pokemon's health bar will continue on off of the screen and reappear on the other side.

Since the Pokemon is still above Lv. 100, you can repeat this seqence as many times as you want. Eventually you'll hit 999 HP and raising the Pokemon beyond that will make the numbers turn into glitched symbols (the same thing that happens in the Rare Candy Glitch).

What I was trying to do while experimenting with Pokemon above Lv. 100 was find some abnormalities that would let the Pokemon be traded from R/B/Y to G/S/C without disruption of any kind. When I discovered this, I immediately gave it some experience points that would cause it to go back to Lv. 100, without losing its above-normal HP. This was needed so the Pokemon wouldn't be thought of by the game as an "abnormal" Pokemon. I successfully traded the Pokemon to G/S/C in the end.

Unfortunately, depositing the Pokemon in the PC, having it take damage, or healing it at a Pokemon center will cause the HP to return to normal. This may cause some of you to say, "But why even bother?" The answer is simple. Read what I said I was trying to do while experimenting with Pokemon above Lv. 100 again. I haven't tested to see if it will think of the health bar as normal and let you keep the "infinite" health during Link Battles, but maybe some of you could answer that for me.

hikaru1234

Four Hitmonchan. Four of them.
Years
If you do the "mew trick" but instead of going to cerulean you go back to lavender and go to the tower and fight gary, when you go through the path, it says "You look good at Pokemon, but hows your chem" and you fight a machoke.

Last edited:

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
Hmm also can't be stuffed to read if this one is here, to get all 3 starters, you have to wait until your able to catch pokemon.
1- Pick a starter, and catch any random pokemon.
2- Clone the starter
3- When the game reloads, start a new game, and pick a different starter to the first one.
4- Withdraw the first starter from the box you cloned it in, then catch another random pokemon.
5- Clone the 2 starters you have.
6- This time, start a 3rd new game and pick the starter you haven't picked yet. Then withdraw the other 2 pokemon and voila your done.

Also, im sure this one has been mentioned but after you cut a tree, save where the tree was turn off, and when you reload game, your standing on a tree.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
I found one in Kanto region in Crystal !
If you open your menu to use the Itemfinder and use it , after ya talk to tut guy in Cerulean who tells u about (the cave with very strong Pokemon blah blah ) , all your Key Items disapppear ! Also , If ya didn't pickup machine Part till now , itll disappear if you get it !

IT RUINED MY CRYSTAL ROM GAME FROM MY PSP !!!!! :(

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2010
It's probably a bug in the emulator you have on your PSP. I can confirm this happens neither on Lameboy nor the real GBC packs.

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
Years
i think the only glitch i ever encounted in any pokemon game was the missingno glitch (found it by accident as there was a guy on the roof of the cinnibar gym for some reason)

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
Years
In Fushia City there is an old man near the east gate. If you keep pushing him right (blocking him from turning around) when you get to the gate he will go flying into the air and land back in Fushia. Found that one YEARS ago when I was just screwing around.

Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2009
words words, over level 100, words words, rare candy, deposit withdraw, words words

Actually, if you take damage you just lose a small bit of the HP, it still stays absurdly high. Take it from the 1009/325 HP Mewtwo.

Hacky

Who knows who <- is?
Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2011
All I know...

Okay: Here's what i know:

Missingno.: Come on, EVERYONE knows that.
Mew glitch: just Google it
Get back to agatha's room from lance: OK you do this:
1. Beat Elite Four Agatha
2. *Duh* Get to Lance's room
3. When the gates close, go on top of them, beside those statues.
4. Walk against one of the statues (I'll be saying left one, but whichever one's OK)
5. Keep holding the left button and press start
6. Release the left button
7. Choose Save
8. Reset
9. Without moving, select to Surf
10. You go down and just walk to agatha's room
Return to SS anne:
1. Go to the harbour where the sailor stops you
2. Keep holding right button just one square over the sailor
3. press enter, release -> and save
4. reset & surf
5 just walk down
Mew glitch (infinite version):
1. Fly from the gambler (like normally) but not in cerulean but indigo plateau
2. go to PC and switch boxes (to save)
3. Beat E4 and rival
4. get a pokemon with special stat of 21
5. go to a place where dittos appear (RB: east of fuschia or unknown dungeon (cerulean cave) Y: cinnabar isle lab or U. Dundeon)
6. don't let your pokemon with sp 21 level up
7. find ditto and let it transform into the sp 21 poke of yours
8. (optional for easy level 100) use growl 6 times
9. beat/run from ditto
10. don't encounter nything else
11. go to lavender, west and *POOF* start menu appears close it and...
12. if you growled 6 times the mew is, instead of lv 7, lv 1 meaning that if you let it gain 1-50 exp, it'll go straight to level 100.

I was messing around with that glitch and found that kingdra, bulbasaur, seadra, and some other pokemon restart the game and then only show overworld sprites

Also, horsea and machoke have the same effect as machop, and a lot of other pokemon usually have weird text that says "which move?"

ALSO for some reason on yellow my mew is immune to lick. is that normal
In generation I the psychic type was immune to ghost.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2009
Thanks

They are really very cool, very wonderful
Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..
Glad it works as expected for you
looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back