• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2005
    Not really a glitch, but...

Time for another installment of... Screwy Link cables! I know a guy with a link cable that's so screwed up he traded a Pidgeot and it turned into a Celebi. No joke. It's probably his GBA rather than the cable though. It'd still be fun to go to a Pokemon comp and use that link cable in battle.

Matty_Boi

Stop the spam ppl!!!
    Years
  • i dont know if anyone posted this one but when in pallet at the beggining of the game, make the girl that walks around move to the grass where u normally go and oak comes. after you do, quickly walk beside her and oak will appear and give his little advice. after u will follow him and walk through buildings and ur game will freeze. i love this one :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    @Matty_Boi Oh I know that glitch. I did it with my red when I was at my friends house and we almost laughed our heads off when the glitch kept whacking my fat little overworld character sprite's head into the door while the oak made his little speech inside the house about gary having to wait his turn etc.

I know another fun glitch for Gold/Silver (Doesn't work on crystal). Save first. Once you have both the coin case (I think you need coins in it for it to work) and kanto access, go to the place in vermillion city where the old guy is trying to build his house with the machoke. Go up to the machoke, and talk to him. It will say "Machoke is pounding the ground" etc. When machoke has finished talking, press start, key items, coin case, use coin case. Your game will emit some sort of beep (It varies, first time I did it it made the sound of a PC logging on, second time it made the sound of the menu opening) and restart. Wait until the start movie (with lapras and the starters and charizard and either lugia for silver and ho-oh for gold) gets to the bit with ho-oh or lugia in a shadow, you will get a big shock! The shadow from Ho-oh is gone! (I'm not sure if this works for lugia and silver, since I've only tried the trick on Gold. ) That's not all, select continue from the menu, and VOILA! Glitch dimension! For pics and more detailed instructions, you can visit https://www.trsrockin.com/glitchdimension.html

Last edited:

It@chi Bl@st

Lone Trainer
    Years
  • What about the color glitch in gold/silver version?Try it by talking to a machop in Vermillion city then use your coin case.It may freeze your game just maybe.If you do that procces correctly,it will restart your game and the colors will be different.It's cool cuz in the title screen,Ho-oh will wear cool goggles and the pictures will have cool and pretty colors.:cool:

Jordan_Boi

Charmander Trainer
    Years
  • Anyone seen this glitch?

On pokemon red at random moments a small and cute pokemon like vulpix or magnemite sounds like something really strong like a Nidoking and Rhydon, wheneva this happens I laugh my head of and my sis looks at me gone out.
    It is a weird glitch.

mew_rocks

Sell the kids for food
    Years
  • This is kind of a cheat glitch and i guarantee it works but only for yellow version. Its to get mew. First make sure u hav not beaten the youngster with a slowpoke on route 24 or the first bug catcher on route 6 who is standing the grass just off the road. Stand just off screen of him directly in line so if u take one more step he will want to battle you. Also make sure u hav some one with fly in your team. Then take the step foward and press start straight away. A ! will apear over his head but the start menu will appear. Then fly to cerulean city and go into a battle with the youngster on route 24 with a slowpoke. Beat him then fly to vermillion. Start walking up toward route 6 and the start menu will appear for no reason. Press B to cancel it and the battle music will play and u will go into a battle with a lvl. 7 mew. Catch it. THIS DOES NOT STUFF UP YOUR GAME AND IT WORKS GUARANTEEED I DID IT MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 20, 2005
    One day, I wanted to battle my brother pok?mon ( He have Gold version and I have Silver Version and each one has a Game Boy Color ). He was winning and making fun of me so I took out the cable link :D , when my player in the game was sending my last pok?mon
    My pok?mon ( Mewto ) started using attacks without ordering them, without the cable link ! My brother turned off the gameboy and I was very confused.... :\

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    About the Persian Giovanni thing (you read about it on Team Rocket's Rockin, didn't you?), I doubt that it really happened. Then again, who knows? And the gambler-youngster Mew trick works with Red and Blue as well. In Yellow, instead of battling the youngster, battle a Channeler in Lavender Tower. Do the rest of the trick and you find the Yellow version of MissingNo! But make sure you save first incase it freezes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 20, 2005
    lugia_master said:
    its link cable.................................................

In spanish is "cable link" I'm sorry, I'm chilean :)

Years
  • YOYOYO!!!!!!!!!
    I love glitches! Glitches are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Y3h ever tried t3h gameshark one in PKMN silver that makes the game freeze after walking
    for a bit? Edit:
    i heard someone had a persaind named ``giovanni`` and traded it to silver versain and it evoled into a lugia!!!!!!!! 0_o
    O yeah. I heard of that one! Wasn't that the one where the game froze after the evolution?

Last edited:

PokemonPichu

A pichu messing with glitches
    Years
  • GSC has glitches too... (it said this is a glitch thread for RBY but no thread for GSC, so I am posting it here.)

Did you know there are more items for sale lurking under the "Cancel" in PokeMarts? (along with glitches)

1. Enter this Gameshark Code 01FF41D0. (for Gold and Silver only)

2. Go to a PokeMart.

3. Scroll to Cancel and then scroll down even more. (and over the blank spaces)

4. You will see a bunch of ? for sale. Go down a little bit more, and you will see some real items.

5. If you scroll down to see all the items there, you will see ?, Master Balls (They are free!), Teru-Samas, some TMs, some Stones, maybe a Nugget, maybe a Tinymushroom, some Apricorns, some berries, some usual PokeMart items, some stat-boosting hold items, some key items (I found a good rod), and even a HM!

6. While scrolling, you will find items with glitched price tags.

7. Also remember that the PokeMart clerk almost always "lie" about the price tags for the items below the "Cancel". You will see the real price if you click on the item and read the price for 1 of that.

8. Also, you don't have to worry about freezing your game by scrolling way too far, if you scroll past the real bottom (There will be a Cancel as the 256th item, I think.), the game will take you back to the 1st item.

9. And last, don't buy the Teru-Samas (If you buy one, it might become infinite, but you can get a lot of money) and the ?. They are actually glitch items. You might find HM 10, HM 11, and HM 12 (I wonder what kind of attacks they could be) there. They are glitches too.

I have heard the Teru-Sama (aka GS Ball) can get you a Celebi. Just give one to the pokeball making guy (I forgot his name). He will give it back the next day. Now take it to the shrine at Ilix Forest and click on the shrine, A wild Celebi will appear or maybe a glitch pokemon. Do it at your own risk, but I think you will be better off using Gameshark to catch a Celebi in the grass if you have a Gameshark and did not get Teru-Sama because of some crazy glitch other than the PokeMart code. I will be trying out the cheat to see if it's real or not.

Last edited:

~\"Metal Sonic"/~

Pure Evil
    Years
  • In Cerulean City when you walk up Nugget Bridge to your left is some grass.
    Walk down the grass and stop right after you come out of it. Surf onthe water
    to your right and come out right in front of the entrance to the grass. When
    you come out, and start walking you will go repeatedly from boy to Lapras.
    Whenever you talk to someone, read something, surf, get into a battle, or go
    inside a building you will go back to normal.

Years
  • .4(?)

AKA: u.4
    Pokemon #234
    Type 1/Pokemaniac
    Hex Value: C2
    Starting Moves: Nameless Glitch Move, Agility, TM28, Agility
    Yellow Equivalent: pPkMnp

Base and Max Stats
    HP: 179, Atk: 96, Def: 209, Spd: 96, Spl: 21
    HP: 561, Atk: 290, Def: 516, Spd: 290, Spl: 140

Learned Moves: TM05 (Lv. 9), Surf (Lv. 19), TM09 (Lv.30), TM34 (Lv. 44), Wing Attack (Lv. 55), Cut (Lv. 61), Karate Chop (Lv. 62), Flash (Lv. 70), TM11 (Lv. 94), Glitch Move (Lv. 97)

Learned Moves over level 100: TM05 (Lv. 109), Guillotine (Lv. 170), TM08 (Lv. 183), TM34 (Lv. 184), <freezes game when learned> (Lv. 195), Minimize (Lv. 205), TM50 (Lv. 208), TM01 (Lv. 225), <Freezes game when learned> (Lv. 234), <Freezes game when learned> (Lv. 240), TM24 (Lv. 241), TM50 (Lv. 245), TM29 (Lv. 255)

TM Moves: Strength, Flash, Razor Wind, Toxic, Horn Drill, Take Down, Hyper Beam, Counter, Solar Beam, Dragon Rage, Thunder, Mimic, Bide, Fire Blast, Swift, Dream Eater, Sky Attack, Rest, Thunder Wave, Psywave, Explosion, Substitute

Encounter Flag: unknown
    Capture Flag: Magneton encounter

.4 can be encountered by perfoming the extended Mew Trick using a Pokemon with a Special stat of 194. It is reported that the game will freeze upon catching .4 and viewing its Pokedex data. The game crashes because the Pokemon's cry is not properly terminated. If the Pokedex does not display, the game will not crash. As with many glitches, .4 will cause graphical glitches if caught. .4 shares many similarities with p T and PokeW Trainer.

.4's first attack, the Nameless Glitch Move, has some unusual effects. In a wild Pokemon battle, the enemy Pokemon will be transformed into a Vulpix if caught. In a trainer battle, the first move has "No effect!" Using this move also makes .4 fall asleep. Additionally, if this move hits, the opposing Pokemon will become invicible.

.4 has other unique effects during Pokemon battles. Sometimes in battle, .4's health bar will drain over and over again, but it can still be defeated. .4 may morph into another Pokemon during battle, or cause the enemy to transform. There are reports of .4 turning your player name into glitched blocks, and changing your Pokemon into different species with their original attacks.

.4 is a unique glitch in that it naturally learns three of the five HM moves (Surf, Cut, and Flash). No HM moves are naturally learned by any real Pokemon in R/B/Y. If you make .4 learn some of its later moves, the game can behave strangely by giving you extra Pokemon below your own party that become poisoned and faint. Attempting to heal up at a Pokemon Center will freeze the game, and speaking to your mom causes strange glitches with the TV.

It is not recommended to save .4 onto your game because it has been known to corrupt save files.

I actually found data on many other weird glitches like this one, but I don't want to eat up the page space.
    [If you want to know about the other glitches, PM me.]

Last edited:
    Years
  • More strange glitches:

Z4
    Type 1/Bug, Type 2/Poison
    Hex Value: C3
    Starting Moves: Fury Attack
    R/B Equivalent: h Poke

Stats Lv.5: Atk 13, Def 9, Spd 13, Spc 9
    Stats Lv.100: Atk 175, Def 85, Spd 171, Spc 97

Learned Moves: Horn Drill (Lv.13), TM43 (Lv.32), Blank Glitch Move (Lv.35), Blank Glitch Move 2 (Lv.42), Body Slam (Lv.56), Pound (Lv.62), Horn Attack (Lv.100)

Z4 can be encountered by perfoming the extended Mew Trick using a Pokemon with a Special stat of 195. It can also be obtained by trading an h Poke from R/B to Yellow.

7 g
    Type 1/Water, Type 2/Psychic
    Hex Value: C6
    Starting Moves: Confusion
    R/B Equivalent: LM4

Stats Lv.5: Atk 12, Dec 12, Spd 7, Spc 9
    Stats Lv.100: Atk 145, Def 153, Spd 61, Spc 101

Learned Moves: TM25 (Lv.25), TM29 (Lv.32)

LM4 can be encountered by perfoming the extended Mew Trick using a Pokemon with a Special stat of 198. It can also be encountered by trading an un-evolved LM4 from R/B to Yellow.

Q
    AKA: TM55
    Type 1/Water, Type 2/Psychic
    Hex Value: FF
    Starting Moves: Confusion (if evolved from 4 4 Hy), Disable (if evolved from 4 4 Hy), Headbutt (if evolved from 4 4 Hy)
    R/B Equivalent: Charizard 'M

Stats Lv.6: Atk 15, Def 15, Spd 19, Spc 18
    Stats Lv.100: Atk 175, Def 179, Spd 245, Spc 227

Learned Moves: weird glitch move (Lv.9), Mega Punch (Lv.12), Skull Bash (Lv.23), TM09 (Lv.29), TM50 (Lv.32), Pound (Lv.45), Tackle (Lv.61), Ice Beam (Lv.62)

Q can be encountered by using a GameShark code with the value FF (for 255) as the Pokemon value. It can also be obtained by trading Charizard 'M from R/B to Yellow. Additionally, Q evolves from 4 4 Hy at level 6. Q can also be obtained by unplugging and replugging a Link Cable during a trade, but this usually causes the game to freeze once Q appears.

Q has the cry of a Pokeflute playing, and appears as a glitchy box.

There are strange reports that if you store a Q in a PC box with two other Pokemon, you may be able to transfer the moves of one non-glitched Pokemon to the other. You may also turn one of the normal Pokemon into another Q. These effects occur depending on the order in which the Pokemon are withdrawn.

G-master24

Pkm silver master
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    My friend has a glitch on his gold, when he first went into the grass, he found a pok?mon called 999999''?'9xxx999.Then he looked in the pack and found 99999999999999 masterballs and other glitched items, then caught it. It knows the moves 99999999999999, 999xcccccc99, 0000000 and t999999995p. and those moves are dodgy, one fills the screen with purple beams and another restarts, and saves, the other persons game in a link battle. (yes, he did buy it off ebay)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • That happen to me before. But I used a gameshark to find a Celebii in the grass and I did. then when I checked it(it was in the PC) I found that it was a celebii and the number was 999999xxx. when I put it into battle the game crashed so I relesed it so now it does not crash any more. Never use GS

~Dark Venusaur

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back