• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*Official Pokemon Community Game Competiton Sign Up Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    - Competitors are given 2 months to develop, test and debug the game
    - MUST be from scratch, but Art/Sprite, Music must be from PUBLIC sources, no copy right (or their own)
    - Contestants may not post anything about their games, only the fact that they are competing
    - Can be programmed in any language and or program (RPG Maker, Game Maker and ect...)
    - Games submitted for judging can not include Credits and any other way to identify the creator of the game
    - Must include at least 20 minutes of solid game time, can not be just 1 level
    - Judging will be based on Gameplay, Replayablity, Graphics, Overall Presentation of the game.
    - Games will be submitted to the judges directly through PM
    - Judges have the initial voting/rating on the games, but do not post till the end of the general voting
    - Thread will be made for each game submitted with a poll 1-10 (10 being the best) in each category AFTER the judges verify that it is a legal game
    - Game must be gamer friendly (No blood and gore, since obviously there are 10 year old on this site..)
    - Game can be in 2d, 3d or what ever you like it, but keep in mind that 3d will not make yours any better, since obviously great artwork on a 2d game can beat a mediocre 3d game's butt anyday
    - Game specifications will be given after sign ups
    - Teams can include up to 5 people maximum, all sign up in one post and will be referred to as the team name

This is only sign ups for the competition, the actual thread would look nicer and will include more info

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    How is it official? Did you contact the site admin or something?

Also you gave bulleted information, this is obviously not though out.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    How is it official? Did you contact the site admin or something?

Also you gave bulleted information, this is obviously not though out.
    I made it official, so what? This is not dictatorship or anything, its the internet, don't take it so seriously... How is this not thought out? This is the general rules, I don't want people getting head start before everyone signs up... That won't be fair

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Does scratch mean no Essentials? Because if so, it would good to make that clear.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Does scratch mean no Essentials? Because if so, it would good to make that clear.
    Yes scratch is scratch, blank page/project, how is that not clear at all? The game will be so that it really won't matter if you use the essential kit, since it won't be the traditional pokemon game...

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Yes scratch is scratch, blank page/project, how is that not clear at all? The game will be so that it really won't matter if you use the essential kit, since it won't be the traditional pokemon game...

Its not clear because its not stated. I'm not saying you can't interpret it like that, I'm just saying that I can easily see ten or whatever amount of people enter the thread and see, yet not get that interpretation because the use of essentials is so commonplace here.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Its not clear because its not stated. I'm not saying you can't interpret it like that, I'm just saying that I can easily see ten or whatever amount of people enter the thread and see, yet not get that interpretation because the use of essentials is so commonplace here.
    Like I said, it won't matter since it will be useless.

Anyone here actually going to sign up?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • - Competitors are given 2 months to develop, test and debug the game No one has that kind of patience for a contest.

- MUST be from scratch, but Art/Sprite, Music must be from PUBLIC sources, no copy right (or their own) Find another forum. 90% of the community pretty much uses Essentials entirely.

- Contestants may not post anything about their games, only the fact that they are competing You can't really enforce that. People can use PMs and other things for contact.

- Can be programmed in any language and or program (RPG Maker, Game Maker and ect...) This is already going to be nearly impossible to judge fairly. People using Game Maker and such won't have pre-existing graphics to fall back on, and the quality of graphics will be quite different.

- Games submitted for judging can not include Credits and any other way to identify the creator of the game

- Must include at least 20 minutes of solid game time, can not be just 1 level So... you won't people to spend two months making a game that could theoretically be finished in a week or two? : \

- Judging will be based on Gameplay, Replayablity, Graphics, Overall Presentation of the game.

- Games will be submitted to the judges directly through PM So the judges aren't allowed to know who made which game, but the creators are to send their games directly to the judges?

- Judges have the initial voting/rating on the games, but do not post till the end of the general voting

- Thread will be made for each game submitted with a poll 1-10 (10 being the best) in each category AFTER the judges verify that it is a legal game

- Game must be gamer friendly (No blood and gore, since obviously there are 10 year old on this site..) Yeah, that single ten year old is annoying...

- Game can be in 2d, 3d or what ever you like it, but keep in mind that 3d will not make yours any better, since obviously great artwork on a 2d game can beat a mediocre 3d game's butt anyday

- Game specifications will be given after sign ups So people are supposed to sign up, not knowing what they'll be expected to make?

- Teams can include up to 5 people maximum, all sign up in one post and will be referred to as the team name

This is only sign ups for the competition, the actual thread would look nicer and will include more info

No. Just, no.

Unless the staff are running it, this isn't 'official', and you are woefully unprepared for this.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    No. Just, no.

Unless the staff are running it, this isn't 'official', and you are woefully unprepared for this.
    You know what, thats how FIRST Robotics is carried out, teams are given 6 weeks to make a robot from scratch, write software for it debug and make it fully functional and legal all in 6 weeks... Its HIGHSCHOOL students doing this, we don't even know the rules or the game we have to play until the beginning of the 6 weeks. Yes I fully expect people to pull this off, especially using RPG Maker, I think its totally ridiculous that you people do not realize how easy this is compared to a lot of stuff, all you do is complain, and all I want is to have a decent all fun competition, If I say 2 weeks people are going to complain about being too short, I make it 2 months saying that people dont have the patience? That is bull ****. Always criticizing the little stuff, HONESTLY I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT THE MODS APPROVING IT AS OFFICIAL OR NOT... DAMN... Gah really? Trying to bring in some flavor and fun into the community and just treating me like trash? Honestly I have lost respect for this community, sorry, I just am shaking my head as I am typing this....

Can any of you try any better than I am? None of you try (Except Avatar, but his never took off, neither has mine) I try to make this community grow maturely and just gah, just disgraceful.

In life I beleive that in the end, ranking does not mean crap. Look at Einstein, he was a low class patent office worker, did he stop after getting ignored in his first published papers? What about Thomas Edison? He never stopped after the first revisions of his lightbulb, the Wright brothers, the same. They were all lower class citizens, but they live in history books forever. Ranking in life does not mean anything to me, I am not saying I don't have respect, I am just against shunning the unknown or lowly.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • When you PM'd me asking if I could be a judge, I gave you several conditions that I would follow before any contest. The first was getting the permission of local staff, and preferably getting them to post the contest themselves. The second I would like to point out is that any contest related thread would have to look professional, or at least, not look incompetent.

Also, it is generally acknowledged that "official" means that a thread has the permission and blessing of the site staff, which means a mere member cannot make something official. Finally, you never, never ask people to sign up for a contest blind.

In response to some of Yuoaman's comments:

Nobody ever said a game had to be an RPG. The last time I saw a contest similar to this, there were quite a few entries of varied types. One person submitted a musical Tower Defense game, called Harmonics TD. Another submitted a classical text-based adventure, called Newt. Other entries included a sidescrolling action game based on Alice in Wonderland and a few classic RPGs. The point of a contest like this is to be creative, not to rehash the overdone Pokémon plot using Pokémon essentials. To be honest, this forum needs a bit of that kind of thing, based on the fact that quite a few games I see here are simply rehashes of the classic Pokémon game ideas. I mean, even something like this would provide a welcome change from what I see here.

Edit:

A lot of stuff.
    At what point did Yuoaman's completely valid, honest criticism of what you're doing with this thread turn into a personal attack on you, your attempts to liven up the community, or your status here or anywhere else? He was trying to help improve the contest, to make it better, more fun, and a more lasting experience for us all. That's all.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    At what point did Yuoaman's completely valid, honest criticism of what you're doing with this thread turn into a personal attack on you, your attempts to liven up the community, or your status here or anywhere else? He was trying to help improve the contest, to make it better, more fun, and a more lasting experience for us all. That's all.
    Its the connotation, not the denotation of his posts, ok not cool to lash out like that, but I have yet to receive ANY positive criticism (except you and I thank you for that) on my idea and constant negativity... Gah, why do I even bother? I will answer that question another time

edit: I think he has yet to see the goal of this contest (but you did) Anyone can see that RPG Maker is dominant on this forum. I am sick of the "We can't do it" attitude. People are dependant on RPG Maker way too much, even more on the essential kit. Really as I have been saying for a long time, I am trying to herd people away from the essential kit and RPG Maker it self. I see so much potential in the members of this forum, I beleive that this forum should strive to overcome the Rom Hacking section. Kids there are using Assembly for pete's sake... Honestly I can say I don't know assembly, I am glad that they are learning it, and not just staying with the map editors and being kiddie skripties... Really people should try to dig deeper into this and stop sucking on the RPG Maker and teh Essential Kit's "Tits" and go move on to bigger challenges

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • to be honest, I'd join up if it was organised better. I get that you just want a ~*~fun competition~*~ that lets the people here challenge themselves and their skills, and dude, I think it's a great idea. it's just...there's no way you're going to pull it off if you don't spend a little more time making sure the rules are clear, and that the competition itself is planned out in a way that all the potential contestants are happy with. nobody's going to join something like this when it's clear the planning is entirely half-assed.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I like the idea that you are trying to get something going.

What I do not like, is you saying that you are game developer of sorts, or assume to be one from what I can tell, and you are essentially telling us that our way of doing it is just blatantly wrong.

You are so far from the development tree I can't even see you for crying out loud. From what I hear you do robotics... well robotics is not this. We have a general system here which everyone uses, and that more often than not means using essentials. Not because we are lazy, or because we have no dedication, but because it was made by user for other users. It is a tool in and of itself.

People also like to know what they are doing before they plan on doing something, and this is one of those blind missions.

I hope the 2 stars on this thread is rating the joke value of it... if that is the case why doesn't it have 5?

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    You know what, I guess I am done here, its pretty ridiculous to criticise about a thread being dull looking? Really? Do I honestly have to go out and make banners and fancy stuff for this? If you have the passion, you really wouldn't care what it looks... Yes programming is a hobby for me, robotics is too, so is lifting, Football, Track, all are hobbies but I can tell you that I don't stop there as being hobbies.

It's not a very well organized post for a contest. And if people are questioning it, then it's obvious that it's not very clear.

You seem to be doing a lot of that too, y'know...

Then stop lashing out at people who are criticizing the idea. It's not going to be fun with a grumpy organizer. Not to mention I'm getting this 'elitist' vibe from you, which I doubt anyone would want to deal with at this point.

This is true. Put it into perspective; your asking a forum which is compromised of mostly people who use Essentials... You wouldn't get a huge quantity of people going out of their way to rush things for a two week deadline.

I'd also have to concur with this one... A lot can happen in two months; people can lose interest in projects, people can join, people's positions in the world can change quickly.

Interesting, as a game developer, I thought you'd understand this logic.

Really? I'm sorry to hear that. Here, I'll draw you a rat's ass so you can at least pretend, alright?
    *Official Pokemon Community Game Competiton Sign Up Thread*

Yeah, I'm bad at putting things into perspective, let alone drawing anything at all. But there you go, a rat's ass... Sort of.

While I'm sure the community appreciates the gesture, you aren't giving us enough credit here... Having somebody waltz in here, and start slandering the way we do things, in simple terms, doesn't put us in a good mood. Especially to that person. You joined in December, which is still relatively new. While my join date doesn't support this, (I have the emblem to prove it), I've been here for three years. Do I appreciate you talking smack about what I do for a hobby? Not in the least bit.

Then leave. Nobody is forcing you to stay; there's plenty of other communities out there.

None of us try? That's horribly false; we're trying, but since you don't like how we 'develop games' for a hobby, you get all pissy about it. Stop. This isn't how you make friends. And why stay here if you have all these people against you? Your only hurting yourself.

Right, again, we're not going to be very warm to someone new who tries to change how we do things by slandering us. No.

So far, you've disgraced yourself with your immature attitude. You're throwing a hissy fit just because you can't get your way, or at least that's how I see it.

Where does ranking come into this? No where.

I agree with your outlook on ranking, really. But trust me, the community will eventually shun you, if you keep acting like this.

Where's it written that all criticism has to come in a positive form? I highly doubt this post is going to seem very positive to you, and frankly, it's not written to be positive. Sometimes people need a shove for them to open their eyes, but you seem to need quite a few shoves.

Please stop pulling these sorts of things out of your ass.

Nobody is 'dependant' on these things. This is our hobby. We aren't trying to make money, we're doing this for fun. Do things like these matter? No.

WHY? Not everyone wants to do it your way. Some of us like using all of this. Thank you, good bye.

Cool story bro, now let us do what we want. Also hobby. How many times can I squeeze that into this post, I wonder...

No forum is going to 'overcome' the other. Whilst looking at the two, they look similar, but in theory, their different. We concentrate on using tools such as RPG Maker XP, Game Maker, etc, to make our own games from the ground up, or the help of a kit. ROM hacking focuses on the manipulation hi harry of an existing game.

If we want to, we will.

---

tl;dr Just leave the forum alone and stop trying to force the ways on how you do things upon it. Nobody wants your help at this moment, and if they do, I'm sure they'd let you know. Thank you, good bye.
    You know what, yo do make several good points, but I have yet to change my mind on a lot of things, yes sure my thread can become more "official" looking, also I do make very dogmatic comments on a lot of stuff, and that I have been criticised a lot for, but I think that is fine for me to do that, I am not here to trying to please people by doing what they do and following their ways, hell no, I am not that kind of guy. I have a mind of my own. I beleive that your way response was taken out of context, as you can clearly see. That will not bring any good doing that. Sure you can sound right, but at the end, its mis quoted statements.

Also about your comment on the "Manipulating" an existing game; you do realize most people are pretty much doing that here... Manipulating the Starter Kit to look different and adding a story to it and calling it a game. Sure its technically a game, but is it really any different from all the other games out here?

Yes sure I do make the impression that I am "Mister David The Great" or something, but you know what? I really don't care, if that gets your attention, then thats good IMO

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • You know what, I guess I am done here, its pretty ridiculous to criticise about a thread being dull looking?

When you're posting a thread for an 'official' contest? Not so much.

Do I honestly have to go out and make banners and fancy stuff for this?

It would be nice.

If you have the passion, you really wouldn't care what it looks...

But banners and the like make it more professional, something that this thread definitely isn't.

Yes programming is a hobby for me, robotics is too, so is lifting, Football, Track, all are hobbies but I can tell you that I don't stop there as being hobbies.

You know what, yo do make several good points, but I have yet to change my mind on a lot of things

So you disagree on those points? :\ Usually when someon recognizes good criticism they make an attempt to change...

yes sure my thread can become more "official" looking,

Why don't you do it, then? :\

I have a mind of my own.

An I most definitely do not. If you didn't notice I'm a Cyberman.

I beleive that your way response was taken out of context, as you can clearly see. That will not bring any good doing that. Sure you can sound right, but at the end, its mis quoted statements.

Not this post, of course.

Also about your comment on the "Manipulating" an existing game; you do realize most people are pretty much doing that here... Manipulating the Starter Kit to look different and adding a story to it and calling it a game. Sure its technically a game, but is it really any different from all the other games out here?

Except the Starter Kit only contains the basic systems and the basic tilesets, you can do much more by creating your own graphics and scripts, more than is possible in ROM Hacking.

Yes sure I do make the impression that I am "Mister David The Great" or something, but you know what? I really don't care, if that gets your attention, then thats good IMO

Nice to see you enjoy being a pompous ass, then.

tl;dr: Cool story bro.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back