• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Timeline confirmed

Shadow Man

Nerfed Metal Blade
    Years
    I have always imagined that, like the Zelda Timeline, there is a split in the path. Lets say that in Black and White, you can't beat N. N learns of his father's true plan, and N stops him as well. N successfully separates the world, meaning humans (and presumably, normal animals) and pokemon inhabit different worlds. Sound familiar? It is because of N's doing that we have the Mystery Dungeon saga! Which order those games go in, I don't know.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    This more or less confirms what I thought: until ORAS, there were no prequels released since the continuity was completely rebooted after Gen 2.

I never thought that X/Y took place at the same time as B2/W2, though, I thought X/Y took place a few years after B2/W2.

Jolteon Dan

Electric Boogaloo
    Years
    If it wasn't for the remakes and for B2/W2 taking place at the same time as X/Y, they could pass off the pre-existing pokemon type changes (Fairy, Dark, Steel) as an evolution/metamorphosis within a short time period. Ex. Normal Granbull was getting beat up by Fighting types, so it "evolved" into the Fairy type to resist Fighting.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I was actually under the impression that continuity didn't really matter in the Pokémon games and, with the obvious exceptions of the relationships between RBY and GSC; and Black/White and Black 2/White 2, it didn't really matter which games's events happened in whatever order.

I mean, honestly, what's the point of having R/S/E take place at the same time as the first generation games when they could easily take place at the same time as the second generation games or even after them.

IMO, it should be something like this:

RBY --> GSC --> RSE --> D/P --> PT --> B/W --> B2/W2 --> X/Y

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
    I have always imagined that, like the Zelda Timeline, there is a split in the path. Lets say that in Black and White, you can't beat N. N learns of his father's true plan, and N stops him as well. N successfully separates the world, meaning humans (and presumably, normal animals) and pokemon inhabit different worlds. Sound familiar? It is because of N's doing that we have the Mystery Dungeon saga! Which order those games go in, I don't know.

I actually have a great idea for a pair of Pokémon games set in a region I made up that I was going to make be about this exact thing! The only difference was that Cyrus and his Team Galactic was going to be involved as well since he wanted to create/reset (Pearl/Diamond, respectively, right?) a/the new/current universe. This idea also takes advantage of the possibility that there might eventually be another pair of games set in between Generations IV and V in which Team Galactic and Team Plasma have a little get-together which either sets the stage for or aids Team Plasma's efforts in Black and White to separate the human and Pokémon worlds. In either case, the protagonists of such a game set in between Generations IV and V would have to find a way to partially disrupt Team Plasma's plans in such a way that they would result not in the successful, complete split of the Pokémon universe into two universes (one for humans and one for Pokémon) but in a continuum of universes, traversable via the Reverse World (I really wish that it was called the 'Distortion Realm;' now that would be a cool name for it!), with these other two universes as bookends. The earlier protagonists would also have to find a way to send some kind of message to the protagonists of the games that I hope will result out of my game idea such that these latter playable characters will have the information and means to undo the damage done by Cyrus and Ghetsis. Would anybody like to go to or create some other thread where we might go and discuss the possibility/probability of this kind of thing happening?
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was actually under the impression that continuity didn't really matter in the Pokémon games and, with the obvious exceptions of the relationships between RBY and GSC; and Black/White and Black 2/White 2, it didn't really matter which games's events happened in whatever order.

I mean, honestly, what's the point of having R/S/E take place at the same time as the first generation games when they could easily take place at the same time as the second generation games or even after them.

IMO, it should be something like this:

RBY --> GSC --> RSE --> D/P --> PT --> B/W --> B2/W2 --> X/Y

R/B/Y/FR/LG and R/S/E have to happen at the same time because of how there's an e-mail from Bill to Lanette on the latter's computer in her house on Route 114 in Hoenn, which says the following in the English versions of Ruby and Sapphire…:

Bulbapedia said:
    Your storage system
    offers more convenience than mine.
    It has a lot of user friendly features that
    make it fun and useful too. It makes me
    proud that I played a part in its development.
    Here's hoping that you'll continue
    research in Storage Systems.
    From Bill

…and something else in these games' Japanese versions. G/S/C/HG/SS has to occur slightly before D/P/Pt (that last one is just a director's cut, so it can't have it's own place in the timeline separate from Diamond and Pearl) because of the fact that a news program featuring the point in G/S/C/HG/SS where the protagonist finds the red Gyarados airs at the beginning of D/P/Pt. As for whether Black 2, White 2, X, and Y actually do occur at the same time, has anybody made any headway on confirming that?

Last edited:

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
    That...kind of confuses things even more.
    There's very little in the games to show the timeline, so I never really found it relevant. Do they plan it, or do they spontaneously decide to group odd numbered gens as the same time period?

I can see this affecting the manga more than the gameverse, personally.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In the future, please remember to not post in threads that have been inactive for ore than 30 days. We like to keep discussion fresh!

However, since this thread isn't that old, I'll leave it open in case people have more cool theories ;)

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
    OK, so does anybody like the idea/theory I came up with in response to Shadowman's idea that there might be a split in the Pokémon franchise's timeline, and would they like to discuss it either here or somewhere else?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    OK, so does anybody like the idea/theory I came up with in response to Shadowman's idea that there might be a split in the Pokémon franchise's timeline, and would they like to discuss it either here or somewhere else?
    I'd suggest making a new thread on that topic specifically, to entice some discussion!

Racket

The TCG Professor
    Years
    Wouldn't it make more sense according to the Pokemon. Think about it, weren't there more animals 200 years ago than there were today? From a Social Darwinist standpoint, the elite survive and the weak don't last. So wouldn't Gen. 1 be the newest and X and Y be the oldest?

You're talking about a few different things here.

Darwins theory (short version): Those who procreate pass on their genes. Thus the genes of the one's that don't are removed from the pool.

Then there's the extinction of speicies, which is a different topic. Yes, species do die off. However, others can take it's place. For example consider that after the extinction of the dinosaurs, only a few land species survived. Yet today it's gown to be much more diverse. It's not a downwards or upwards corrilation neccecarily. What we do know is that the number of animals on the planet is roughly balanced with what the planet is able to provide. The entropy of the worlds spiecies is variable and isn't easy to correlate with anything else however.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
    The timeline actually makes sense. I was surprised at GSC and DPPt was happening at the same time, though. I had the feeling DPPt was a lot later than that. More like happening at the same time as BW.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    The timeline actually makes sense. I was surprised at GSC and DPPt was happening at the same time, though. I had the feeling DPPt was a lot later than that. More like happening at the same time as BW.
    I think there were a number of hints otherwise, but the biggest one would have been the show/reports about Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage. Jasmine being around also made it seem current (and then in HGSS you see Sinnoh people around as well, like Crasher Wake).

Back