• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh, hello!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    Hi, name is Leo. I just started a little project of a lightweight pokemon database. Since I always hear that forums are the best way to get support for things like this, here I am. It`s my first attempt at seriously joining a forum community.

Regarding my project: I was left with no internet for a few weeks and it was the worst time it could happen. I was preparing for some team building but I had no info about any pokemon, now I don`t have much time to play so I lost a great opportunity thanks to my internet provider. So I compiled and edited some info regarding natures, stats, types, hidden power, etc. into an excel file so I could carry in my phone for some team planning. A friend told me that making a basic lightweight webpage would be nice since pages like serebii or bulbapedia "...aren`t smartphone friendly and sometimes you just want the numbers and description, not the fancy pics..." It sounded nice to me and it`s a great idea that I would like to see come true.

So in resume hi! and were should I start posting for this to get some support/suggestions?

Years
  • Hi Leo! Big welcome to PC, great to have you aboard. Always happy having new faces. =]

We don't often hear of members looking to make projects such as those but I'd imagine what you're speaking of would fit more in Computers & Technology as it's not a ROM hack nor a game, meaning the ROM Hacking and Game Development areas wouldn't be the best matches. Would highly recommend asking Tsutarja, the moderator of the Computers & Tech board, first before posting though. Good luck! Sounds like something that really would be useful to a lot of members given how non-mobile friendly Bulbapedia and the like are.

Hopefully you'll end up liking the forum either way though, even outside of projects you're working on. n~n There is a lot to do here and the community would be very thrilled to have you as an active regular. Enjoy exploring!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hi again Leo; it's so wonderful to have you here with us~! In terms of how to get started here, I'd recommend taking a peek at the Helpful Links topic. C:

I wish you the best of luck with your project and I'll definitely check it out! Have you've been working on it long? The members here have so many ideas and discussions so there are many to choose from, hehe. But yeah, the boards around here should assist you, and you're more than free to ask any questions!

Have a fun tiiime! Please do feel free to poke me if you ever need some assistance or just want to talk sometime! Have a wonderful day and a happy holiday~ :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hey Leo, and welcome to PokéCommunity! As my username suggests, I go by Peitharchia here, but if you wish, you are always free to call me Ashley; very happy to meet you!

That sounds like a very interesting project! If I'm getting this right, with this app, we would be able to gather info on Pokémon's natures, stats, types, hidden power, and so forth from our phone, wouldn't we? In my eyes, that seems very handy. Although some could look these kind of things up directly from Internet and whatnot, this would definitely help when we don't have any sort of online access.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy your stay here and have fun. If you'd like to post your project somewhere, I'd recommend Computers & Technology, as suggested before. ROM Hacking likely wouldn't fit since this isn't a hack, and so for Game Development, well, this doesn't precisely seem to be a game; it's more like a software, haha. Good luck, friend; I hope things work out for you!

jacktheking

Hatched Egg
    Years
  • Hello and welcome to PokeCommunity, our future Pokemon Light-weight Database Creator.. Hmm.. a mobile-friendly website containing simple Pokemon Information? I once tried to make a encyclopedia like Serebii but... warning.. it would take a long time to do. However.. I'm sure you will be able to finish the Database if you are willing to do it! I wish you good luck indexing all Pokemon information into a Database! :)

What are you going to program it with? Just HTML? Or PHP? Or a software like MediaWiki?

Craetions

Breeder of Champions
    Years
  • Welcome Leo! I wish I could help you, but my web design days are long past, I have most likely forgotten more than I knew, haha.

Good luck in your project, as it sounds like a heavy one.

Merry Christmas!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    Thanks everybody for your best wishes in this project!

That sounds like a very interesting project! If I'm getting this right, with this app, we would be able to gather info on Pokémon's natures, stats, types, hidden power, and so forth from our phone, wouldn't we? In my eyes, that seems very handy. Although some could look these kind of things up directly from Internet and whatnot, this would definitely help when we don't have any sort of online access.

I know there`s a lot of sites with a database already online. My focus is on mobile friendly, offline access and just the info we want, I wont upload an explanation of what IV and EV are, neither how Hidden power works, etc. Hope I explained better. :)

What are you going to program it with? Just HTML? Or PHP? Or a software like MediaWiki?

I truly don`t know. Mediawiki is not very mobile friendly and I want and option to classify Pokemons according their stats like serebii lets us do, so mediawiki is a very unlikely option. My best option would be PHP for now since Im most familiar with it.

Back