• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Okay, I have to ask. Anyone else playin' since '97?

Tyewatson

Poke Scholar
Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I've been playing since 1999 as well! I had Pokémon Yellow, I remember when Pikachu ran out of PP I would restart the game because I thought you couldn't get that back... It is a face palm moment now... I never beat the game however I still own my original copy! :3 I should sit down and play through it when I get a chance!

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • I can't remember exactly when I started playing, it was sometime when I was in Kindergarten. My brother bought Blue and Red version, and I ended up playing them after he beat them.

But I'd always watch him play, and I was so amazed at all the Pokemon. I can still remember the feeling of running into some of them for the very first time.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I got my Blue in 1999 (which is when it was released here) :D I was 10 and still in primary school. I didn't complete it legitimately though... I cheated using Missingno. D:

I might play through it again for real one day. Or I might just play FireRed... I'm not sure I could handle the graphics of Blue/Red/Yellow now haha!

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 24, 2013
    I played it on Xmas day around the first time it was released, i remember seeing it in a games magazine and i couldnt stop reading about it! I was always going to pick Charmander first but i still lost alot of sleep on the build up towards xmas thinking about which starter to pick! I didnt have a gameboy before then so i got my copy of Pokemon Blue and pocket gameboy and all the charging stuff needed for it at xmas. Ahhh the good old days. Oh and btw (if u havent seen my other posts recently) ive picked the game back up recently along with 2 of my mates. I always seem to pull this game back out every couple of years same with final fantasy 7 but thats another story entirely.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I haven't played this in years D: Oh gosh, I have to now! I'm going to start again :3

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't ever remember NOT playing Pokemon. I've played it for so long, my entire life, that I don't remember when I ever started playing. I would guess that I got my first game Yellow when I was probably 3 or so. Ever since I could pick up a game console and play a game, really. I've been playing since I could remember, so yeahhh....

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I started with Blue in either '97 or '98... I know it was before they released Yellow. So I've been with the series since pretty much the start.

(even back then I wished for the ability to play as a girl, lol... that took three or four years for them to figure out :P)

Sandshrew

Poke-n00b extraordinaire!
    Years
  • Heck YES! since I was 6 or 7. :)
    People my dad worked with found Pokemon Green (in Japanese) as a PC hack or rom, so I guess I've been playing since 96.
    ~Shrew

(edit - 1st post in more that 2 years!)

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I played them when I was young, That was a while ago. Now its better to play Firered or Heartgold, Only the original had the slots and the remake did not :(

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Nope, been playing since 2002. Started with Red.

Years
  • I believe I was 8-9 when Red and Blue got released here :) Blue was my first Pokemon game :D

Aw, I remember being really excited when Pokemon Yellow got released. I miss those days.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Makes me feel old, but yeah, I still remember putting the cartridge into my gameboy pocket :3. Good times.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • I was ten when they were released, after watching the cartoon before school I was obsessed with it, I went and bought Blue the first day they were released in 1997 (I think) in Australia.

Zeus

Disko_Rock

Pokémon Therapist
    Years
  • I know I've been playing since Red and Blue came out cuz I've played them both and Yellow as well. Given the release dates though I'd be 4 which just doesn't seem right so I'm not too sure

Castgurl

The Cuban Artist ~
    Years
  • I was around 8 or 9 years old back in 97 and started at that year too! :3 It started when my friend let me play Pokemon Red at his house. Then started to watch the show, then finally brought my beloved pokemon blue version. Stopped watching the show around 11 or 12, but kept on playing the games. :)

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • I started the anime in 1999 when my parents decided that Pokemon looked like a good show for a 3-year-old. Then when I was 6 I bought my friend's copy of Red to play on my Dad's game boy.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I've watched the Anime first before playing..

But I played Red/Blue a year after they came out. I was way into Mario games prior to that

Back