• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Okay, I have to ask. Anyone else playin' since '97?

Years
  • I got Blue on Christmas the year it came out. Same with Yellow. My brother got Red and Yellow (also). I got Silver the same way (Brother got Gold). I think I got Crystal for my birthday the year of or after it came out.
    Lifelong pokemon fan :D

Last edited:

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    Sadly, I did not. I picked up a copy of Yellow Version on Labour Day weekend 1999 and haven't stopped playing the games since.

I've been watching the anime since it first premeried in Canada though. I vividly recall the premier of "Pokemon, I Choose You!", it left such an impression on a younger me.

Theta Rex

Euclid
    Years
  • Unfortunately, no.

I first played Pokemon Red Version around... 1999-ish.

Needless to say, I enjoyed it a lot. Enough so that I also picked up Yellow Version at some point. And then, when S/G came out, I got Silver within a few months of release.

And I guess since then I've been buying each gen of Pokemon game pretty early on. Or at least that was the case until Gen 5 arrived, of which I didn't get myself a copy of Black or White for quite some time. Not sure why exactly.

As for the anime, I followed it through the entire Kanto and Johto seasons, and some of the Hoenn stuff. After that, I kind of lost interest in it, and since then I've only been watching the occasional episode every now and then.

Years
  • Nope, I started playing with Red in 2004. A bit late, I know, but I'm glad I started with Red and not one of the more recent games.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Nope. Really wish I did.

I got Pokemon Red in early 2000, but I've been watching the anime since 98 , so I'm pretty close. I got Gold in 2001 as a First Communion gift and didn't get Pokemon Diamond till Christmas 2008 so I've always been late when it comes to getting games.

Years
  • I've been playing blue version since ~'99-'01 (can't remember when I got it exactly).
    When I went to get the game, I had gotten an original gameboy (the grey brick, later went back to a battery pack) and was planning on getting yellow version (my favorite color is yellow) the game store didn't have it, however they had blue. So my brother got red (it was the one he was shooting for), I got blue, and my mother was kind enough to spot us on the link cable (we had to purchase the gb's and games ourselves). Since then Blue Version has been my version of choice and I ended up being very glad I got blue over yellow. (I do enjoy getting the option to change my starter up if I feel like starting over)

and actually, I just completed a nuzlocke run of said game. ^_^

Last edited:

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    Ive been playin since either 97 or 98.Sis got me an Atomic Purple GBC and Blue.Thing is she questions me on why I play the game.Charizard was the one to have so I was on that bandwagon.Then realizing Blastoise can use Skull Bash I never looked back.Being there at the start of this phenomena makes enjoying this game 100x stronger with each capture. I'm a die hard fan of these wonderful creatures.I've played every game since R/B/Y<even Green>.So I'll continue playing into my retirement home.

Years
  • Geez has it been that long already? I started out with Blue all those years ago. Played the game so much my screen on my orignal GB went out on me and I upgraded to the atomic purple GBC. Those were the days. I miss them. I have to play pokemon in secret now so my wife doesn't make fun of me.

PokeFreak201306

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I started playing pokemon before i even started kindergarten, I used to watch my big brother all the time and picked up how to play and havent put it down since lol, darn school got in my way :/

I got Blue on Christmas the year it came out. Same with Yellow. My brother got Red and Yellow (also). I got Silver the same way (Brother got Gold). I think I got Crystal for my birthday the year of or after it came out.
    Lifelong pokemon fan :D
    Me and my brother also started splitting up the games the way they game in wos, i didnt get my own though unitl Gold and Silver, but i always played his red version since he got blue, I have since always got the first one that came out (RED-blue, GOLD-silver,Ruby-sapphire,DIAMOND-pearl,BLACK-white)then whoever could got the remakes, of such and since then i have acquired blue version and silver version and platinum, And Red and Gold remakes :)

Last edited:

fuz

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    Yes. Old timer here too... Got Red and had to share it when I a kid. Hated sharing. Was upset when my brother taught a TM to my Pokemon.

Back