• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Okay, what do you NOT like about the main series?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    well i didnt say anything about mewtwo being a god. i said mew being a god. pokedex says that it is the ancestor of all pokemon.
    So you didn't; my mistake.
    According to the Bible, Adam is the ancestor of all men — that doesn't make him a god.

that'll only explain lugia and regis though. for if it serves me right, no other legendary are stationary.
    Stationary in relative terms. Any one you can find, approach and and talk to doesn't seem to move too far from its home.

Isn't Lugia worshipped as some kind of Kami by the people of Johto? Lugia, if I look it from the game have some amount of mythical power like Ho-Oh did.
    Power it may have, but if it originally resided atop the Brass Tower, it's not dominion over the seas.

I could say that Rayquaza is some sort of lesser deity. Have the control over the air globally, capable of stopping both Kyogre and Groudon, but have no other authorities over than that.
    Well, could do, if you decide to look upon it as part of a pantheon.

Saturday's Child

Workin' Hard...
    Years
  • I personally don't really have a problem with the series, per se, but there is something that I really would like to see happen, or at least be hinted at that they wanted to do:

The immaturity of the series. I'm not talking about the basic concept, which many interpret to be a primitive battle to the death when drilled to the core, but the plot, the characters, heck, even the dialogue. There are, oh, maybe ten instances of "Oh my gosh" in the series, and even then, I just get the sensation that the other characters kind of frown upon the person who uttered the phrase. I mean, at least throw some things in like, you know, "Bikini Bottom" in "Spongebob," (we ALL know that one) that we get and little kids don't. Now, it's not like I want to take Pokemon away from the younger kids, it's just that maybe they could do something for the older audience.

All I have to say. For now.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I agree with Zeffy as well. Certain sects of the fanbase never seem to be happy about anything, it's damned if you do damned if you don't. If they find something to complain about they will.

As a whole I am content with the main series, yes the basic formula of receiving a starter from the professor going out getting 8 badges (16 in GSC, HGSS), Defeating the Elite Four, and defeating the syndicate of the region does get a bit dull after awhile. But it's the new pokemon Generation after Generation that invigorate me to play on. Yes I would like some deviation a bit from the basic formula they set out, but I am happy with what they have did thus far and I can only hope to see farther improvement in the future(hopefully no more Musical bs though).

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Power it may have, but if it originally resided atop the Brass Tower, it's not dominion over the seas.

Well, could do, if you decide to look upon it as part of a pantheon.
    Even though if its not have dominion over the seas, it still take residence there after it leaves and make it home. That indicated that Lugia at least have strong connection with sea, just as the same as Ho-Oh with sky.
    And of course I see Rayquaza as part of the earthly pantheon.
    I personally don't really have a problem with the series, per se, but there is something that I really would like to see happen, or at least be hinted at that they wanted to do:

The immaturity of the series. I'm not talking about the basic concept, which many interpret to be a primitive battle to the death when drilled to the core, but the plot, the characters, heck, even the dialogue. There are, oh, maybe ten instances of "Oh my gosh" in the series, and even then, I just get the sensation that the other characters kind of frown upon the person who uttered the phrase. I mean, at least throw some things in like, you know, "Bikini Bottom" in "Spongebob," (we ALL know that one) that we get and little kids don't. Now, it's not like I want to take Pokemon away from the younger kids, it's just that maybe they could do something for the older audience.

All I have to say. For now.

It's very true, since many pokemon fans are getting older and older while themselves somehow still sticked to the game. Personally, I don't like the immaturity as well because we older fans are influenced by other works that make some us hoping for more mature Pokemon series. They can do it in a spin offs of course, just like Gale of Darkness.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • 1. The Champion Conundrum: Let's say you've just beaten the Champion and you head back to rematch the Elite Four. Somehow, you've lost your title of Champion and have to earn it back. Rinse and repeat. It would have been much more realistic if, once you've won the championship, you, you know, actually kept the title. An interesting idea I always had for the fifth Pokemon League battle: You face a random trainer (maybe one taken from Victory Road) who wants to challenge you to the title and you must defeat him/her to retain the title. This would also mix up the final battle as it wouldn't be the same old former champion over again.

2. You complete the main story with people telling you that certain legendary Pokemon may only be one of a kind. But then if you go to the Battle Tower/Frontier and advance high enough, you see random trainers in there using legendary Pokemon after legendary Pokemon as your rank increases. It really "removes" me from being immersed in the storyline as there aren't supposed to be random people using these legendary Pokemon.

3. The Bike. It's 2011, Game Freak. Can we upgrade to at least a Segway?

4. Male dominance in general. Consider that of the five generations, only one has a female Champion. Also consider which of the two playable characters in FR/LG has a cameo in HG/SS. It doesn't help that the playable male characters range from totally forgettable to totally ridiculous as far as appearances.

5. Designs of the female trainers apparently peaked with Leaf in FR/LG and have taken a downward spiral since. If a more "mature fanbase" is what they're shooting for with the female protagonist in B/W, I don't think I need something "that" mature.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I'm pretty sure they just designed a pair of main characters that were meant to be young people who are at the point where they take an interest in fashion and style.

It's a really nice change from the overly silly designs of the main characters in the past decade or so. Leaf's design works in the context of FR/LG because it's a throwback to the original female character designed for Red and Green, but considering Black and White are about taking the games into a more modern context, her design ends up too much of a generic little girl in a skirt to work well.

Last edited:

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I really have nothing against the series, designs don't bother me at all, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of replay value, the game dosen't pull me back in after completing the Pokedex and beating the champion so many times. That and the length of the game should be modified in my opinion.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Meh, I personally find the new "fashionable" trainer designs to be the silly, if not downright trashy designs... I actually prefer the cuter styles, but maybe that's my fondness for cute anime girls in dresses and skirts (I'm fairly anti-tomboy, which might explain some of my opinions.) Now where's my protagonist who wears a frilly white Sunday dress?

Back on topic, adding to my previous complaints:

6. The "cat" Pokemon in each generation are always given crappy overall stats. Does Game Freak hate cats or something?

7. You can never complete the Pokedex with one copy of the game... there's always trading and event Pokemon you have to go through.

8. After Kanto/Johto's Team Rocket, we've never had a classic "crime syndicate" type evil team. Since, they've always had some sort of big, world altering plan that seems overdone. Maybe this is me wanting to go back to a simpler time again, but I'd like another mafia-like team that's just chasing after money, not trying to alter the landscape or creating their own world.

Centiflora X

Thread Killer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2011
    The fact that there are third installments that made me regret buying either of the initial versions.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Well I think the Pokemon formula should stay the same. Like the basic stat's, builds, move sets, items, all that good stuff is just fine.

The battle formula needs changing. It's very hard to change but I can see that GF realizes this. As we can see in Gen 5, the pokemon now move around a bit more while battling.
    The only thing I could see to improve this is if they start designing the game to have tactical positions.
    For instance when you battle your pokemon you play on a field. Maybe the pokemon could be capable of having advantages by being bigger, or faster for covering more ground. I mean we already have damage moves based on how slow or fast you move or how heavy or light your pokemon are. So I could only assume that the next one up from that could be battle ground coverage.

Story line generally needs work, however the storyline for Black and White was pretty decent. However, I kind of want to see the evil teams be more evil. More dark would be nice.

Something that's been bothering me a lot, is the lack in type combination's. They've been going crazy on all the dragon and ghost combination's but i feel like a lot of other combination's have been left out in the cold.
    I'm still waiting for something weird and fun like a Grass/Fire type or a Steel/Poison type. I want some new variations to play around with. (Kudos to: Stunfisk, Ferroseed, Joltik, and Larvesta)

Also something kind of dumb, but I hate how they never allow you to customize your character in different outfits. I mean obviously that has to be the next step in customization for this game, you being able to collect outfits for your character and look however you want. (It may sound weird coming from a guy, but I just like being different from everybody else.)

Last edited:

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Well I think the Pokemon formula should stay the same. Like the basic stat's, builds, move sets, items, all that good stuff is just fine.

The battle formula needs changing. It's very hard to change but I can see that GF realizes this. As we can see in Gen 5, the pokemon now move around a bit more while battling.
    The only thing I could see to improve this is if they start designing the game to have tactical positions.
    For instance when you battle your pokemon you play on a field. Maybe the pokemon could be capable of having advantages by being bigger, or faster for covering more ground. I mean we already have damage moves based on how slow or fast you move or how heavy or light your pokemon are. So I could only assume that the next one up from that could be battle ground coverage.

Story line generally needs work, however the storyline for Black and White was pretty decent. However, I kind of want to see the evil teams be more evil. More dark would be nice.

Something that's been bothering me a lot, is the lack in type combination's. They've been going crazy on all the dragon and ghost combination's but i feel like a lot of other combination's have been left out in the cold.
    I'm still waiting for something weird and fun like a Grass/Fire type or a Steel/Poison type. I want some new variations to play around with. (Kudos to: Stunfisk, Ferroseed, Joltik, and Larvesta)

Also something kind of dumb, but I hate how they never allow you to customize your character in different outfits. I mean obviously that has to be the next step in customization for this game, you being able to collect outfits for your character and look however you want. (It may sound weird coming from a guy, but I just like being different from everybody else.)

im with you on all the points you just mentioned...

also another thing i want to add. is being able to choose a path in your story. ive been wanting to join team rocket forever... -_-
    or the game doesnt stall if team rocket is taking over a radio tower or w/e.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    im with you on all the points you just mentioned...

also another thing i want to add. is being able to choose a path in your story. ive been wanting to join team rocket forever... -_-
    or the game doesnt stall if team rocket is taking over a radio tower or w/e.

Yeah! you're right actually, I have always wanted to be on Team Rocket's side.
    lol Just watch it'll be like Pokemon meets Choose your own adventure.

One more thing that I wish they would do. I wish they would expand a bit more on the pokemon love scale. For instance improve on the usage of the move "Frustration" and also design a way to make your pokemon hate you for specific advantages. Also it would be fun if they made some evolutions that are based on a pokemon's hatred instead of love.
    (I one time as a joke made a series of homemade pokemon built on this hatred idea. One of them was Eevee's Dragon evolution.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    8. After Kanto/Johto's Team Rocket, we've never had a classic "crime syndicate" type evil team. Since, they've always had some sort of big, world altering plan that seems overdone. Maybe this is me wanting to go back to a simpler time again, but I'd like another mafia-like team that's just chasing after money, not trying to alter the landscape or creating their own world.

This directly conflicts with the way the game design has been improving the storytelling and growing up to something more comparable with modern RPG games.

The antagonists have been growing more intertwined with the region's legendary Pokémon because it serves to draw each element of the game's plot together into one cohesive storyline - the villainous syndicates, the legendary Pokémon and (something that we began to see in Black and White) the Pokémon League challenge all cross paths at some point and lead up to a final conclusion. This is something I'm glad Game Freak have finally chosen to address after how underwhelming Diamond and Pearl were in their story.

If you wanted to design a group of villians that weren't planning on using legendary Pokémon for their own goals you'd end up relegating the Legendaries to background role, a mere sidequest to get a new Pokémon like in RBY and GSC. And at that point, you're struggling to fill the game up with enough plot to get enough hours out of it as the previous games in the series. Yeah, you can use this to write a far more character-driven human story, but this point we're changing what's become on of the core structures of a Pokémon game. And if BW told us anything it's that they're going to continue to develop the team-legendary-gyms plot structure.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • 1. The Champion Conundrum: Let's say you've just beaten the Champion and you head back to rematch the Elite Four. Somehow, you've lost your title of Champion and have to earn it back. Rinse and repeat. It would have been much more realistic if, once you've won the championship, you, you know, actually kept the title. An interesting idea I always had for the fifth Pokemon League battle: You face a random trainer (maybe one taken from Victory Road) who wants to challenge you to the title and you must defeat him/her to retain the title. This would also mix up the final battle as it wouldn't be the same old former champion over again.
    This is something that I always thought of when I first played - how come I don't get to be the champion after beating the darn same person fifty times? A randomised challenger taking me on every so often at my leisure would be a neat way to go about it imo; along with the previous champion trying to get their title back from me.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    ^ Same.

Well, everybody's already listed all the complaints I have so...I've really always wanted to be evil though. OTL Oh, and I nearly squealed when, in HG/SS, people actually recognize you as the Champion and you have fans! I really wish the title of Champion was a bigger role. I want a badass cloak. Like, all the other champions seem to be fond of traveling. Maybe you could wander around, and people would actually recognize you, ask for autographs challenge you, etc. You should get discounts at PokeMarts too. >:C And yeah, being the boss of the region in general. At the very least make it so that you don't have to beat the same former champion over and over and over again. I mean, rivals like Gary who are extremely put out about losing to you could just fight you again! Of course, I don't want random Youngsters and Lasses to make it through the Elite Four...

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    This is something that I always thought of when I first played - how come I don't get to be the champion after beating the darn same person fifty times? A randomised challenger taking me on every so often at my leisure would be a neat way to go about it imo; along with the previous champion trying to get their title back from me.

^ Same.

Well, everybody's already listed all the complaints I have so...I've really always wanted to be evil though. OTL Oh, and I nearly squealed when, in HG/SS, people actually recognize you as the Champion and you have fans! I really wish the title of Champion was a bigger role. I want a badass cloak. Like, all the other champions seem to be fond of traveling. Maybe you could wander around, and people would actually recognize you, ask for autographs challenge you, etc. You should get discounts at PokeMarts too. >:C And yeah, being the boss of the region in general. At the very least make it so that you don't have to beat the same former champion over and over and over again. I mean, rivals like Gary who are extremely put out about losing to you could just fight you again! Of course, I don't want random Youngsters and Lasses to make it through the Elite Four...

These would be VERY FUN and would give us a reason to play long pass the main story.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • The number one thing I hate about the Pokemon world is what they are doing to poor Silver. He was my first and favorite rival, and he was always tough, mean, angry, and full of hate. He would push you, kick you, speed away from you after threatening you. Suddenly, the Johto series comes out, Gary is still around. No Silver. The manga comes out, Silver is a scared little boy who is calm and shy and nervous and innocent looking and even nice once you get to know him. I can't stand how silent he has become. The Silver who ISN'T the original Silver was changed for no reason, and for some reason now is suddenly 'cool'. And he gets all of these rip offs, such as Paul and Trip. Seriously, why? Silver has NEVER had a chance, and that makes me angry. They even allowed Silver to appear in the beginning of Raikou: Legend of Thunder for like, a second. Nothing more. Why????

Voltorb Flip. I mean. Wth.
    In every movie, the legendaries are ALWAYS fighting. Always, always, always. They need more movies like the Entei movie, that was absolutely epic.
    I wish the games would stop becoming more and more child friendly. I mean, they are even getting to the point of Voltorb Flip, because kids would see the dude or dudette gambling. Please. I played Gold, Silver, AND Crystal when I was little, they were my favorite games, and I haven't gambled even to this day. Never really wanted to.

I really think they need to change how the rivals are always your friends. Not all rivals love and spoonfeed you and give you things and are nice. They steal things and yell and kick. So on. So forth.

I will most likely think of more.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I wish the games would stop becoming more and more child friendly. I mean, they are even getting to the point of Voltorb Flip, because kids would see the dude or dudette gambling. Please. I played Gold, Silver, AND Crystal when I was little, they were my favorite games, and I haven't gambled even to this day. Never really wanted to.

I really think they need to change how the rivals are always your friends. Not all rivals love and spoonfeed you and give you things and are nice. They steal things and yell and kick. So on. So forth.

I will most likely think of more.

I agree! I want more of a challenge in the games! I wish they would have complicated puzzles, and high-level Pokemon. I wish they would bring back the gambling and the Pokemon catching contests. The games are still really fun, but I liked how the old games weren't all pointed at 5 year olds. Doesn't Nintendo know that the majority of people that play Pokemon are 14-100 years old?!

And I do wish the rivials were meaner like Gary and Silver. They were so harsh that it made me WANT to progress farther in the game so I could show em up!

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I agree! I want more of a challenge in the games! I wish they would have complicated puzzles, and high-level Pokemon. I wish they would bring back the gambling and the Pokemon catching contests. The games are still really fun, but I liked how the old games weren't all pointed at 5 year olds. Doesn't Nintendo know that the majority of people that play Pokemon are 14-100 years old?!

And I do wish the rivials were meaner like Gary and Silver. They were so harsh that it made me WANT to progress farther in the game so I could show em up!

Yes, I have been noticing that most games lately have been pointed toward young children, even though when we were young children, we got games that were aimed toward teenagers. I mean, I am not asking for sexual content or killings (although the killings would be cool) in a Pokemon game, but I also don't want Voltorb Flip and a "Hey! Let's be friends! Tag, you're it!" rival, either.

...Omg, if they brought Silver back in the games the way he appears in the manga, I vow right here and now that I will never play a Pokemon game again! Ugh.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Yes, I have been noticing that most games lately have been pointed toward young children, even though when we were young children, we got games that were aimed toward teenagers. I mean, I am not asking for sexual content or killings (although the killings would be cool) in a Pokemon game, but I also don't want Voltorb Flip and a "Hey! Let's be friends! Tag, you're it!" rival, either.

...Omg, if they brought Silver back in the games the way he appears in the manga, I vow right here and now that I will never play a Pokemon game again! Ugh.

It would be nice to have both a 'friendly' rival who you grew up with, etc. and then another neighbor or someone like Gary/Silver who's just snobby/arrogant/full of themselves and has always disliked you for whatever reason or something. A mix of both would be interesting.

Back