• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Old games are better?!?

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2007
    Okay, so I'm playing pokemon crystal right now and I just think its much better than my Pokemon Emerald or my pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Who thinks the old pokemon games are better?!!? I really think so.. besides, they did a great job with their first game.:t359: POKEMON RULES!!

Years
    Kind of weird you put an Absol icon in a topic about older games. =P

I like the older games better, personally, but the newer ones have a growth on me. Which is surprising: I thought most of the new games were going to suck when they came out. Long running series have a tendancy to go stale after a while, but Pokemon (the video games anyways, the TV show sucks) has kept it worth playing and still has good entertainment value.

That said: the old games are still my personal favorites. They never get old in my opinion.

Years
    • NA
    • Seen Jan 12, 2008
    Yeah, side quests are fun, but they take away from all the battling. Plus, there are almost no glitches. In the advanced generation, the side quests were okay and all, and didn't take too much away from battling. In Emerald, they added the battle frontier, which made you think of other things than the pokemon's level and had the cloning glitch which ruled.
    In Diamond and Pearl, everything is so ridiculously easy. Leveling up pokemon, battling, Victory Road, etc. The legendaries are too easy to catch. There are side quests galore and Team Galacic is retarded.

But that's my opinion. I love my first pokemon game, Blue.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2008
    i love the battle frontier in emerald (havnt played d/p) but apart from that i must say the metal gen was awesome! 16 gyms! what more could you ask for although the elite 4 and red were very weak which was a dissapointment.

the colour gen was easily the hardest. gary was a solid rival unlike in the other games and he became champ so yes colour was 5 stars to :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2007
    The best games in my opinion was gold/silver/crystal. I like the other games too but those ones were the best.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Well yea, the only thing bad about old games are the graphics.

Which reminds me about a month ago, I found my pokemon crystal in an old box, put it in my bro's GBA, and we were like HOLY ______! The graphics hurt my eyes lul.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    The new games have more bad graphics, if you compare to the release year. Especially those on GC. My first and favorite pm-game is Silver. One of the reasons I like it is the large world map. The Pokemon sprites are ugly though, they look so fat and cute. The G/R/B/Y sprites are better.
    I play the new games more though, since few people have the old onces and you cannot link old with new.

Lumine

Basement Cat
    Years
    Nah the new graphics really improved, but yeh I agree at that time Crystal was like the best classic Poke game

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    At least the battle have bad graphics. SNES has better graphics. Pokemon does still not have a battle background and some animations looks like bugs in the game; for instance a Pokemon that shoots a water gun from the back of its neck.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    I'm tired of the constant battles in Ruby/Sapphire. Do they ever stop? Black Flute does practically nothing for me!

I've just started playing Crystal (my Silver version is hosed). It's so Japanesey! It's suprizing I knew what to do back with Silver!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2007
    yes the graphics were crap but they where the best when they come out dont you agree :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I unno. You'll always get that hint of nostaglia with the older games, which wil make them seem better since you're still under that illusion from when it first came out that it was awesome.

But yeah, I'd like to say that the older games (in particular, the GSC series), were better, but truth be told the newer games are indeed superior - they'd have to be, otherwise no one would buy them :P

Back