• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Old games are better?!?

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2009
    It's hard for me to think of Gold and Silver as being "old" or "classic," it doesn't seem that long ago that they came out. Maybe it's because I stopped playing Pokemon after Crystal was released and they still seem like they're the newest Pokemon games to me.

As for graphics. I love the graphics in G/S, they're pretty good for the Gameboy. Red and Blue graphics are a little worse, but they don't bother me, it's the Gameboy, I expect Gameboy graphics to look like that. Now what was really cool was putting Red/Blue or Gold/Silver in your Super Gameboy on the SNES and being able to play the game on your TV in full color, that was awesome.

SilencedShooter

Revenga
    Years
    Crystal was a favorite of mine, and still is....Emerald is also a favorite of mine...Yellow was sweet...And I haven't played Diamond and Pearl...

I like them all, but I guess I like the "middle" ones the best. (GSC/RSE)

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2009
    Everyone keeps mentioning competitive battling, what does that mean? Aren't all battles competitive?

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
    Blah, blah, blah. My words are truth lulz.

You should probably take your own advice, hun. It's called double standers, go look it up.

The newer games are better. They are more fun and have more side quest than the older game. You cannot deny that. Your opinion is completely bias and has no deph. Just because you have opinion does not make you right.

Years
    I seem to get more joy out of the older games to be honest. It could quite possibly be because it brings back childhood memories and all that. Going over to friends how and link battling and trading to complete our pokedexes.

I know the graphics were far from what they are now, but the games were just all around better back then they are now for some reason.

Skelter

Sega Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2008
    I really think that the old ones were much better. For one, i liked the story better and i loved how you could collect 16 badges in silver-gold-crystal. If the game had the wi-fi capabilities that diamond and pearl have today, it'd definitely be one of the best games out there....

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    While nostalgia tells me Gold/Silver/Crystal are the best, D/P improved on it in almost every way. So no the older games aren't better. R/S/E even brought the challange factor back somewhat which was lacking in G/S/C.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    Me2UJus4Free said:
    Me2UJus4Free pretending to be me said:
    Don't make up a quote because you do not know how to articulate a response ;) I expected as much. Side by side comparisons only work if they are in the exact form.

You should probably work on your persuasion skills. You will find that your delivery of opinion is to challenge everybody else. You only need to state your opinion.

Refer to my example below:
    Improfane said:
    It's like person A and B go on two rides together. Person B prefers one ride and tries to tell person A it is better. You are person B and you are wrong.
    You are calling person A stupid because he doesn't like the same ride as you. This makes you a missing something.

This is a Pokemon board Not a religious debate, you are not debating laws of philosophy or anything. It was only a matter of time before someone like me pulls the carpet from your tower.

I like the old Pokemon games. Please deal with it in your own way - without trying to challenge it. If you want to know why, read the posts above (I doubt you read them).

Thanks for reading.
    PM me if you need advice.

Ryu Hoshi

Traveling fighter for hire
    Years
    Ah,yes the old games.how fun they were back in the day.I dont think theres one game better then the other.just prefrence.I perfer the new game because its diffrent.not better.but diffrent

Masami

:D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2008
    The new games have more bad graphics, if you compare to the release year. Especially those on GC. My first and favorite pm-game is Silver. One of the reasons I like it is the large world map. The Pokemon sprites are ugly though, they look so fat and cute. The G/R/B/Y sprites are better.
    I play the new games more though, since few people have the old onces and you cannot link old with new.

GC, as in Gamecube? I think the Gamecube Pokemon games looked fine.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    They were supposed to be N64 games, but they were released to GC instead. I don't like them. I wonder why they did no animation for attacks that miss their target (as they had in Stadium). The battles are very slow and the Pokemon has a lack of detail and texture. If they wanted it too look like a cartoon why didn't they use cellshading on all of them. It looks like they've been made in a CAD program. At least it's bad compared to other GC games, but still playable.

MissMegano

not-so innocent saint
    Years
    I love the classic games no doubt. My favorite games are G/S/C because of the setting. I just love Johto. And cyndaquil! Also because my first game was silver.

and, like so many others, I think Team Galactic is retarded. Plus, I think D/P could make better use of the touch screen. Sure, it's conveniant, but I think they could've been more creative.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, I also think they could have used it more. I wished that they could have made it possible to walk around using the stylus, just as in FF3. That's one of the things I was dissappointed in, and the battle graphic of course.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2008
    I love oldest games! And newer games too. Silver version is my really first, I like to back play it after Diamond version. Oldest games are still great. I have Crystal, Ruby, FireRed, Emerald, and Diamond versions. I don't have other than PKMN RPGs for GameBoy and DS. PKMN RPGs only! I wish I get Red and Yellow versions with boxes and instruction manual books... T_T

Oldest games have both ways, easy and hard.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    All of them pokemon games have their strong points and weak points, but I did like the second generation games the best.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    You should probably take your own advice, hun. It's called double standers, go look it up.

The newer games are better. They are more fun and have more side quest than the older game. You cannot deny that. Your opinion is completely bias and has no deph. Just because you have opinion does not make you right.

Oh, if only I had a dollar for how contradictory and stupid that statement was. First of all, you can't expect people to even regard your opinion as worth anything without even taking the time to spell it correctly, or even use spellcheck. Seriously, you're a lazy ****. Second, your opinion is more biased than anything, because all you've done is managed to attack him for his opinion without even giving a valid reason. Then you tell him, just because you have an opinion doesn't make you right. Maybe you should listen to your own, made up, edited quotes. They seem to apply to you.

Anyways, rant over. I think the old games were better, with the exception of Emerald. Crystal was THE only revolutionary game in the series. It introducted tons of game mechanics (day/night, week days, hold items, two new types, special split into two, Pokegear, the list goes on..), color, improved GB graphics, the pop up things when you enter a new place, and more than I can name here. The point is, RSE and DP were rehashes. Granted, the new music, pokemon, and graphics were nice and they were probably the best of the series, despite no day and night. But they were still rehashed. Diamond and Pearl were just a plain step back. Too much to do in between gyms, too many side quests, the graphics are actually WORSE than RSE, and there's too many Pokemon, most of them ugly or didn't have a lot of thought put into them. And the touch screen controls were horribly utilized. Not to mention, the trading system utilizes awful friend codes, or the poorly done Pal Park, that doesn't even go back to the old games (it's one-way). Obviously, you can tell I hate D/P. Don't even get me started on how bad the spinoffs are done and how boring they are, and don't help to add to Pokemon's already kiddy image the general public seems to percieve.

So, based on what I said above, Emerald or FireRed is my favorite game, with Crystal just a sliver behind, and Red a sliver behind that purely out of nostalgia.

Back