• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Old Generation Games in DS Slot

funkeboodha

Pokemon Trader
Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    so you know how you can get previous generation Pokémon by inserting an older generation game?

So, I was looking for Weedle. I went to Eterna Forest and stuck the game in. I was at work so I was doing it casually for about 2 hours. No Weedle.

Then I came up with the hypothesis that it did not recognize that the game was in there because I have done this before:

Put Emerald into DS while it is on, and soft reset the game to the title screen and the system did not recognize it. (it would usually stay "Migrate from Emerald")

so my question is this: if you pull it out while the game is still in there, will it know that you pulled it out or will it still think its still in there?

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
  • You probably already know this but, you need to put in LeafGreen to get a Weedle, not Emerald.

I haven't tried pulling out whatever is in the GBA slot when I'm playing Diamond because I'm afraid that it will freeze and I'll loose whatever I've been working on. If you have the cart inserted and then you turn on your DS, get past the main menu into the actual game, it's safe to assume (I hope) that the game will have recognized that you have/had a GBA cart inserted and would have already loaded the proper data making it possible to catch exclusive Pokemon.

SwampertTrainer

The Lord of Photoshop
    Years
  • I personally wouldn't meddle in it. Once somebody I knew tried to pull a game out of the slot with the power still on and the thing started buzzing and making electric sounds.

Ampremas_tortoise

Because turtles are overrated.
    Years
  • You mean, if you had your DP game turned on and playing, and then you pulled out the Emerald cart? It would probably freeze. :\ I haven't wanted to try it for fear of screwing up my game... so the best thing here to do would be either try it or put it out of your mind. there's only one way to know for sure.........

Ghost...

Unknown Ghost of Pokemon Tower
    Years
  • I think that's called the Dongle Method, at least, that's what I heard somewhere. Just migrate a weedle, it's easier. You need the national dex to find the weedle, and if you have the national dex, you might as well migrate

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    You mean, if you had your DP game turned on and playing, and then you pulled out the Emerald cart? It would probably freeze. :\ I haven't wanted to try it for fear of screwing up my game... so the best thing here to do would be either try it or put it out of your mind. there's only one way to know for sure.........

It won't freeze. In fact, nothing will happen.

@Original poster: It's still best to keep the cartridge inside when you're trying to catch the Weedle. And like somebody else said, you need LeafGreen, not Emerald.

Remember you need to have the National Dex as well for the GBA insertion Pokémon to show up.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
  • From what I've experienced you have to insert the game before you turn on the DS or insert the game into the GBA slot then force reset your DS...

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    From what I've experienced you have to insert the game before you turn on the DS or insert the game into the GBA slot then force reset your DS...

That's true. Changes won't take place if you put the GBA game inside the slot after turning on your DS.

@SwampertTrainer: Yes, I've tried.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I've found that it still works if you close the DS to put it in sleep mode, and then pull the GBA game out and re-open the DS, the game will still run and still recognise that the GBA game is inserted, as I still found Gengars in the Old Chateau.

Back