• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Old May versus new May

Old May or New May?

• Original

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • New Version

Votes: 56 39.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Both

Votes: 27 18.9%

• Total voters

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
  • I much more prefer the new May. Look more cheerful to me with the ribbon on top of her head rather than a bandanna. She also look more girly without those gloves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    As I thought for a while, this is what I came up with:

Old may looks very tomboyish, while new May looks more feminine. I usually play male characters, and this new may looks like something I would love to rival and impress. I feel the same way with Serena from X and Y, or Rosa from B2/W2.

Another thing that sways my opinion is the gameplay graphics. May looked kinda dumb in RSE. The remakes have more lifelike animation which makes her shine more as a character than a lifeless sprite.

For some reason, I really love the front tie bandanna and no gloves.

Last thing is that in the anime, Misty was always a character that I loved. When May replaced her, I was kinda harsh on May's character for replacing Misty. So I always hated her character for that reason. This new May has no connection to Misty or the anime series in general, so I can appreciate her more as a character as opposed to a replacement.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It is a small difference, but there is one. Side by side picture comparison:
    Spoiler:
    ... So basically they put bows and more skin on her and made her legs skinnier? I really preferred the older version when she looked like a trainer and not like some petite fragile model running around. I had the same feelings about "new Crys" vs old Crys but the new version there finally won me over since the outfit is sort of unique and the old one was pretty bad. But with May, I just think they... went in the wrong direction.

I like my Sapphire :(

Old May versus new May

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I kinda like them both.

It is a small difference, but there is one. Side by side picture comparison:
    Spoiler:

Wow. I didn't realise how similar the artwork was between the both, even right down to the pose!

But yeah I slightly prefer the newer design, obviously has a fresher look overall.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Seeing that Hoenn is a tropical region, I would have to pick the new design because it makes the most sense. Plus it looks overall cuter than the old outfit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Well, setting aside my bias toward Sugimori's older art style for its nostalgic look, the strangest thing about the original May (apart from her absurd hip-waist ratio, though every female protagonist shares that) was always how straightly her hair jutted out. The new May is far more proportional especially in that regard, and so as there's nothing peculiar about her appearance, I'd say I prefer the new one. Her shorts are also less confusing, which is nice.

Seeing that Hoenn is a tropical region, I would have to pick the new design because it makes the most sense. Plus it looks overall cuter than the old outfit.
    What's tropical about Hōen? It certainly appears to be a warm region for the most part, but I don't remember observing much in the way of tropically-themed fauna and flora. Actually, out of all generations, there's more of that kind of thing in the first one, between Exeggutor, Vileplume, and Victreebel, in addition to the region visited by Mew's discoverers. Its location-sake Kyūshū is at most sub-tropical.

Last edited:

jacktheking

Hatched Egg
    Years
  • I prefer the older version. The older version is what we used to see.. and we grow up seeing may like this. Oh well.. am I..

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I'd go with ORAS May all the way. It looks 3x better than the original May. Actually I never knew what all the fuss was about with the R/S/E May, i'd consider this one to be the definitive version.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • The original May is my favorite female protaganist, so I've grown quite used to that design. Both the RS and Emerald outfits were sporty, had a cycling/running theme and seemed quite tomboy like to me. I was excited to see her remake outfit be something simular atleast. Her bandana was just iconic, it's like Ash's cap. He may have different ones, but they are all the same kind of thing. Not bandana, to ribbon.

Plus, Pokespe's Sapphire is a pretty big tomboy. I really can't see her wearing this. The RS/E outfits fit her so well too.
    And two pairs of shorts doesn't really seem logical. lol :S
    But, atleast it's still the same May. Not like Kris to Lyra (again, tomboy to cutesy though)
    Hope we can change the clothing to something simular to the RS/E outfits. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    The original May is my favorite female protaganist, so I've grown quite used to that design. Both the RS and Emerald outfits were sporty, had a cycling/running theme and seemed quite tomboy like to me. I was excited to see her remake outfit be something simular atleast. Her bandana was just iconic, it's like Ash's cap. He may have different ones, but they are all the same kind of thing. Not bandana, to ribbon.

Plus, Pokespe's Sapphire is a pretty big tomboy. I really can't see her wearing this. The RS/E outfits fit her so well too.
    And two pairs of shorts doesn't really seem logical. lol :S
    But, atleast it's still the same May. Not like Kris to Lyra (again, tomboy to cutesy though)
    Hope we can change the clothing to something simular to the RS/E outfits. :)

Gonna dissapoint you there is no customisation except contest outfits.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • What's tropical about Hōen? It certainly appears to be a warm region for the most part, but I don't remember observing much in the way of tropically-themed fauna and flora. Actually, out of all generations, there's more of that kind of thing in the first one, between Exeggutor, Vileplume, and Victreebel, in addition to the region visited by Mew's discoverers. Its location-sake Kyūshū is at most sub-tropical.
    Well I heard the Hoenn Pokémon were suppose to have a more tropical design compared to the basic designs from the first two gens, so I assumed that Hoenn is a tropical region, which is why I thought May's new design made more sense than her old design.

Back