• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Old May versus new May

Old May or New May?

• Original

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • New Version

Votes: 56 39.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Both

Votes: 27 18.9%

• Total voters

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
Years
  • Put me in for the old May as well. Also, I didn't realize they looked different by version (having only played Emerald--which was the first pokemon game I played). Do they still look different by version? Or do they all look the same now?

Also, ugh. I have a soft spot for tomboyish characters. They got rid of everything about May that gave her a tomboyish vibe (visually speaking) and gave her cutesy ruffles and a big frickin bow. Bleh. Not to mention far less muscle into a little twig.

*sigh*

Years
  • I dont like May's new design. It's just so generic now. I just cant connect to this version anymore. I don't see May in it other than the hairstyle.

Shes the daughter of a field-researcher & enviromentalist. I think she of all the characters should have kept that active, sports wear design or at least had a wetsuit thing like what Brendan has. That giant bow on her head now and the context ball-dress with that side-tuff pony-tail is just too babyish looking. I feel embarassed playing as a character like that. It just too girly, rather than the more seamless, gender-neutral feeling the old one had.

I like cool looking go-getter tomboy May, not the moe-doll New May. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm in for May's RS and Emerald outfit. I truly appreciate how tomboyish she was, in which sets her different from the rest of the other female protagonists -- this tomboyish trait of hers was even brought and emphasized in the well received manga 'Pokémon Special'. The new outfit's designs are actually not bad, but it just doesn't suit May. Probably Lyra can even wear it better.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
  • I like both though Old slightly more. I think combining the two designs would be awesome though. Give the new design the gloves and collar and remove the frills while giving her back her skirt and it'd be great. The bandanna can go either way since I like both her old and new ones.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2015
    WHAT ABOUT EMERALD MAY?!

I wish they would have stuck with the sporty look since this may looks kind of.... fragile? Like, it seems like she's about to go to a nice place, not go into the wilderness to capture little creatures that could probably beat her up. I wish they would at least kept her gloves.

This!

Between R/S May and OR/AS May, I prefer the latter. I do really like her new design, especially when compared to the original, but I prefer Emerald's May design overall. I agree with Josh completely, and although I definitely do like OR/AS May I do prefer the sporty, "stronger" look of Emerald May.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I liked Emerald and original may better. I just liked the sporty look much better. But I think this is mainly because of the bow instead of the bandanna.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • RSE's female protagonist did look a lot better to me personally.
    Though that could be avoided if we had trainer customization... C'mon Gamefreak, let's keep new features in, not removing them in the next game.

Reactions: Sun

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I greatly prefer Emerald May and the original is good too. New May? Ehh, not so much. I am not a fan of bow-tied bandannas like that and I don't find them cute in the slightest. The ring around her head with her hair being so weird is just... hideous.

I love a sporty look and Emerald May had that. I too wish there had been customization here, though, and am very disappointed it's gone. Why can't the customization options be reflective of the region they're in?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    When I saw her design for the first time I was like "She is pretty ugly". Tbh she's almost your generic stereotypical anime girl, with an exception in her not having huge breasts.

May's old design was more raw and unpolished which gave her some kind of personality. Which is why I like her old design more.

But hey, at least she's not wearing a hat. That's a huge thing considering it's GF. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2014
    What it is for me is the sprites are no longer short and stout you can actually see differences in weight and height of people.

Years
  • This!

Between R/S May and OR/AS May, I prefer the latter. I do really like her new design, especially when compared to the original, but I prefer Emerald's May design overall. I agree with Josh completely, and although I definitely do like OR/AS May I do prefer the sporty, "stronger" look of Emerald May.
    I forgot about Emerald. Those designs made them look like they were in the Ace-Trainer class, characters I would expect to beat the Elite 4 and Battle Frontier with pride. Especially May.

Her new outfit now, and personality just reminds me of a Shaunna or Bianca downgrade, where they're rookie trainers all throughout the game and just want to be friends with all the cute pokemon.... which May never seemed to be. Now shes just another face among the Mei/Rosa clones.

RSE's female protagonist did look a lot better to me personally.
    Though that could be avoided if we had trainer customization... C'mon Gamefreak, let's keep new features in, not removing them in the next game.

I beg someone to petition for DLC for the original outfits to swap into... Is that too much to ask? If just for that?

Years
  • But hey, at least she's not wearing a hat. That's a huge thing considering it's GF. {XD}

I kinda like how she's now wearing a bow (her old design didn't really have a hat either, but a bandanna) which kinda sets her apart from most protagonists who tend to wear stereotypical hats. Hats get kinda boring after a while, it's nice to see change of pace from time to time.

I don't why people claim the OR/AS May is "too girly". There may be some frills on her top but it mixes the tomboyish style of her old outfit with some cute aspects as well. Essentially a fresh take on an iconic design.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I kinda like how she's now wearing a bow (her old design didn't really have a hat either, but a bandanna) which kinda sets her apart from most protagonists who tend to wear stereotypical hats. Hats get kinda boring after a while, it's nice to see change of pace from time to time.

I don't why people claim the OR/AS May is "too girly". There may be some frills on her top but it mixes the tomboyish style of her old outfit with some cute aspects as well. Essentially a fresh take on an iconic design.

She looks more childish because of her face. Look at Emerald May, then at ORAS may. If you photoshopped the old May's face over the new May's body she wouldn't look as cute as she does.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    She looks more childish because of her face. Look at Emerald May, then at ORAS may. If you photoshopped the old May's face over the new May's body she wouldn't look as cute as she does.

Again it's just a different art style that was used. Also the old May was more chubby and shorter if you compared their arts.

Years
  • Definitely prefer the new May. For one, I feel like in the storyline she has a little more character than in the original. I also think the remix of the rival battle theme is one of the best pieces in the game. Like, I really feel like I'm battling my rival when the music plays and she gets her Pokeball ready. Plus, her updated team is nice.

Years
  • Its her design that people have a problem with, not her team or characterization. Those apart from appearance were handled just fine. I mean even in the game her personality was changed as well into a complete parallel to the anime's Tundere may. But even that I could somewhat overlook, if not barely. Her appearance is what is whats presented more directly upfront. She just seems too forgettable in every other area drowned out by the kawaii cliches that rebooted on her.
    To me there should be more variety to female trainers than just girly-girl cuteness.

Last edited:
    Back