• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Or New Team Rocket? Hmm...

Old or New Team Rocket?

• New: More serious

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Old: Following Ash & Co. trying to steal Pikachu

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    It's in the title!

I do really love how they made Team rocket more serious but, honestly I think i'll miss the good ol' team rocket...

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    IMO, they'll stay as they were before.
    They HAVE to be goofy ol' team rocket, cause they're practically the only humor in the franchise.
    Plus, team Rocket actually stealing a Pokemon..., yeah like that's going to happen! :D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    IMO, they'll stay as they were before.
    They HAVE to be goofy ol' team rocket, cause they're practically the only humor in the franchise.
    Plus, team Rocket actually stealing a Pokemon..., yeah like that's going to happen! :D
    Have you even watched BW yet? They're all serious n' stuff. They have changed but I want to know if you guys like the new team rocket or the old one.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Well no I haven't watched BW yet, but if they have changed as much as you say, then I'm all up for that!
    Sure I'll miss the old ones, but I think that the joke was on them for far too long!
    If they have changed, I'm glad for them! ;)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I thought it was sad that they changed their characters in BW, but as I watched more BW, and went back to watch DP, the old TR are just waaay too annoying for me to like, even if they are the only "humour" in the franchise (I didn't find them funny, anyway). So now I much prefer the new, serious, personalitiless, less interfering TR.

Dark: Random Guy

Professional Coin Flipper
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    I prefer the comic relief versions myself. Although to be quite honest i've always hated the anime version. Probably because when i first watched it it was being done by 4kids and was utter garbage but even despite that the protagonist is an unlikeable idiot who stole from people, actually attacked people with his pokemon, never really ever beat the leagues and team rocket were more possible to sympathise with given they were getting smacked around and electrocuted every episode despite the fact at least one of them actually cares for his pokemon. (James)

Regardless, Ash isn't likeable in the slightest and i want team rocket to defeat him since i actually prefer them to him. Then perhaps have G/S/C's protagonist show up and beat them because at least he was more interesting. Slightly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    While I'll be missing some of the funnier aspects of the Team Rocket trio, I'm pleased that they're taking their job of stealing Pokemon much more seriously this time around.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Not watching the JP version so as of now, I can't vote. But how serious are they? I like their punny ways but isn't there still a hint left in their new persona?

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Not watching the JP version so as of now, I can't vote. But how serious are they? I like their punny ways but isn't there still a hint left in their new persona?
    They have completely changed, been ripped off their personality and are suddenly serious. I'm not going to add anything else or it would be too spoilerish.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    ^No, it's ok. I'll still have to watch and see though. Make a revive poll when about the 5th episode airs in English :)

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Old Team Rocket was better. Sure at times they were annoying but when they were good they were pretty damn enjoyable. Unlike new Team Rocket since they get such little screen time and it's so early on in the series there's no point in comparing the two. Old Team Rocket wins by a major default.

Also, the poll options aren't biased at all. It's very lovely.

Last edited:

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I'll reserve my vote, but yes, there's a definite inclination to vote for the old Roketto-dan simply because they were around for longer and revealed their personalities.

It isn't just Kojiro/James. Have you all missed Crossing Paths/Farewell Dokucale, Ignorance is Blissey/Hapinasu the Happy Nurse, DP 117 and the many other episodes which show Musashi's softer side for her Pokemon, her dedication, and her strong love for her team mates?

All three of them had a lot of heart to them.

Best Wishes has only just begun and we haven't spent any large amounts of time with the new Roketto-dan. The only ones who've shown their old personality is Nyasu/Meowth.

The other two haven't had the chance to show much of neither their old or their new ones, aside from being serious, devoted to their cause (despite lack of knowledge of Sakaki/Giovanni's ulterior motives), and avoiding any possibility of commting errors.

Without any Rocket-centric episodes so far and very little seen of our trio's new workings in general, we should wait before we compare.

Dark: Random Guy

Professional Coin Flipper
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    Actually that's one of the episodes that were either skipped in the dub or i completely missed them.

you know what's sad though. 4kids don't even have the show anymore and whilst it's better the protagonists still come off as idiots. the rockets were all i liked.

if they use character development to make the rockets go back to how they were in the earlier series then i may like the new b/w version. otherwise this is going to suck and everything i liked about the anime series is gonna be torn to pieces.

Years
    biased poll is biased

Old. That is Team Rocket, not these robots in BW. I always enjoyed the old Team Rocket, they always had the most personality out of any of the characters on the show. The TR focused episodes were always among the best in the series, I even love their rhyming dialogue in the dub. Sure, the constant Meowth fantasies and mechas got tiring, but I loved the old Rockets. They were likable villains, they suited the franchise perfectly. They actually underwent some growth and development, they had more of a back story than any of the other main characters in the show.

BW ruined this. Now Jessie, James, and Meowth are boring and generic drones that have been wiped clean of all their development and personality. Why did they feel a need to do this? They should have sent the team off to jail towards the end of DP. They could have turned over a new leaf, and then reappear sometime in BW as competent detectives or spies. They could have used a new villainous group to pester the region. It's just irks me how they decided to kill their character off like that.

As you can see, I don't really mind the more serious villains, I am just disappointed with how they butchered characters to acquire serious villains. If anything, I think a compromise can be reached between seriousness and comedy. I'm interested in what role they'll receive in the 14th movie. Normally they're just comic relief.

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I definitely prefer the old TR.

They're just extremely boring and serious versions of their former selves now in BW.

Starrunner

Wish Master! Make a wish now!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2011
    I miss old team rocket, the new serious TR is not fun :/

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Are you forgetting about the WHOLE TR? Giovanni etc

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Giovanni is overrated by fans. He hasn't done anything notable besides Mewtwo who escaped from him anyway. There's no point in including him since he has gone through little to no character development or change.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    The old TR was good now and then. But i deff wished they went away instead of every episode, stealing pikachu, theme song, blasting off. Honestly I dont see how they were comedic or liked that much. I dont get your comedy..

I like the new team rocket much more, more mysterious alway wondering whats next.
    Not always bothering Ash or always after him. finally after 10 years. phew

Back