• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Pikachu or new Pikachu?

• Old

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • New

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Our lovable mascot Pikachu has evolved (not literally) a lot throughout the years! Which Pikachu design is your favorite: new or old? Why?

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2019
    Definitely the new version; the features are clearly defined, the proportion is stronger, the anatomy is less muddled, and the colors mesh better together. Plus, no-stubbed legs is a good thing.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    The old one is classic, but I prefer the new one as well - for the same reasons as stated above. It's more pleasing to the eye, imo.

pkmin3033

I'm rather fond of the old Pikachu. It looks more like a cute, cuddly rodent when it's chubby, as opposed to looking like a disease-ridden rodent with all those pounds it appears to have lost in newer artwork. The colouring and the features are much nicer on the newer artwork, but it looks...mangy. Not something I'd want to pick up and cuddle, or keep as a pet, or even allow within ten feet of me.

Hika421

Hex Maniac
    Years
  • Although I like the Pikachus on the older side, I think the newer Pikachus are quite nice, as long as they're illustrated. Something about the current vectorized pikachus bothers me.

Illustrations aside, the current mascot costume Pikachu might be my favorite. It's so funny watching it dance.

Last edited:

PunkRockRat

Punking Pun-King
    Years
  • I prefer the old Pikachu by far, it looks way more like a lil' rodent and the tiny feet aren't awkwardly glued on each other.

I detest the stretched new version, it looks so wrong and I'm not only talking out of nostalgia. I'd be afraid to try to pick up and cuddle it, because it might pull a long cat on me.

Also, the sass of the early episodes' Pikachu was the hit.

Years
  • I personally like the new Pikachu more. I find it looks more practical and realistic, for lack of a better word... While adorable, the chubby old Pikachu looks like it'd have difficulties walking, what with those stubby legs. {XD}

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I love the new Pikachu, because it's less derpy lookin'. Though, I did find fat Pikachu pretty adorable in it's own way back in the day. It's change was so gradual that I don't even think about it most of the time.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'll always find the old, plump and chubby Pikachu the cool one for me. The thing with the old and chubby Pikachu is that its yellow and plump like a potato, and we all know that Grade school science project of powering our electronics with potatoes. Of course, its appearance based on the Yellow boxart has to be my favorite.

Bay

Years
  • In terms of game design, I think I prefer Pikachu's design in the Yellow and GSC era. Its chubbiness gives it some charm to me. In terms of anime design, the most recent one as I think the features looked better than in the OS days.

Years
  • The fat circa 1999 Pikachu was cute, but the circa Gen 3 Pikachu is my favorite. The newer, slim Pikachu is just sad, though. I swear, the design gets more anorexic by the year...

Years
  • I liked new Pikachu better. There's something more appealing about its body proportions, but then again we do have to consider the evolution of art the Pokemon series has gone through and Pikachu's design shows how the art design has changed.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Art-wise, I prefer the new Pikachu, especially the redrawn version for FR/LG. That art just looks like Pikachu. Probably because I played FR/LG more than R/B/Y. But the newer Pikachu art just seems to have more personality in it. The old art is just sitting there, maybe slightly sparking at the cheeks. But the new art is happy, leaping about with glee apparent in its face.

Plush-wise, I prefer my old Pikachu plush compared to the newer one. The old one is just more cuddly, while the new one is far too detailed. (Also my new one has a squished-in face so he looks awkward.)

Back