• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Pokemon moves

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
Years
  • u know what i notice the other day when i was think about pokemons u dont hardly see older pokemon moves like Rapid Spin and Fire Spin and other moves like that

what do u think maybe its just me but what do u think

and do u know any other older moves that u hardly see any more

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2020
    I see Rapid Spin being used in competitive play to get rid of Stealth Rocks and Spikes. Fire Spin is just really weak.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • ^ Agree with what he said.

Also, maybe because with recent gens, the older moves are replaced with better ones. They also have older moves that still used due to their reliability, like Thunderbolt, Toxic, Surf and Ice Beam. Older weaker attacks aren't used as much since they're replaced with newer and better moves.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
    Years
  • i think he means in the anime in which case he should have posted it in that section, but i see what he means in those terms

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In Pokémon General, we can discuss it with respect to any and all media.

In the anime, I don't quite agree. Moves like Ember and Fire spin still get used. They do sometimes have different animations or uses than in the old series though. But the reason many of the newer moves get displayed more can be because the anime means to advertise the games pretty much!

In other media, taking RPing as an example here, newer moves may seem more cool since they are more intricate or complicated. This is not my personal opinion though. My favorite moves are old ones.

Splintey

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Ive seen Fire Spin many times and If I recall its used in May's season a lot in the Coordinator shows, Also i think Butch had a hitmontop that used Raid Spin If I remember corrrectly

zdude18

Lone Wolf
    Years
  • havent seen rapid spin or fire spin since hoenn, and were two sagas past that also hoenn saga ended 6 years ago so id say that its been awhile. as for other moves i dont recall seeing razor leaf for awhile or dynamic punch

zdude18

Lone Wolf
    Years
  • may's combusken used fire spin a lot in her contests as well as her squirtle used rapid spin in some contests

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2013
    I would say it's due to power creep; the rosters are now full of useful moves, and useful moves only. I wonder if someday if moves like Flamethrower will be supplanted by slightly better 100pow 100acc versions.

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    I would say it's due to power creep; the rosters are now full of useful moves, and useful moves only. I wonder if someday if moves like Flamethrower will be supplanted by slightly better 100pow 100acc versions.

Oh, God, that sounds terrible. Then they would go through pumping up Pokemon to ridiculous levels, maybe increasing the level cap, and then pretty much every move before that would be busted. It wasn't my intention to demean you any way, but I hope you can see where I'm going with that. I kind of hope that they keep some of the older moves and don't blast off with any new and over-powerful ones. I haven't watched the anime in years, so I'm afraid I cannot give my opinion on that.

On that note (Or, rather, the one before that), would they eventually get so powerful that Legendary prime moves like Shadow Force and Spatial Rend become dead beats?

Nice avatar, BTW.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • havent seen rapid spin or fire spin since hoenn, and were two sagas past that also hoenn saga ended 6 years ago so id say that its been awhile. as for other moves i dont recall seeing razor leaf for awhile or dynamic punch

Clay's Excadrill was seen using Rapid Spin when Ash battled Clay in the anime.

Anyway, I think Mirror Move should've been used in the Indigo and Johto sagas, since it's a Gen I move, and it wasn't used until the B/W saga, where it was used by a wild Sigilyph.

Back