• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old timer's team

Hahahabvc87

Needs a better dentist
Years
  • This is a team which I used since my pokemon RBY days well into my pokemon crystal days. There are only 3 pokemon since I like to enter the battle tower. Can anyone give some suggestions so it will better fit the ruby/sapphire/emerald era or even further?

1: Snorlax@leftovers
    body slam
    hyper beam
    rest
    snore

2: Mewtwo@leftovers
    ice beam
    psychic
    thunderbolt
    recover

3:Machamp@focus band
    cross chop
    rock clide
    strength
    fire punch

strategy behind them:
    Snorlax is the wall of the team. Body slam for usual attacks, rest for recovery, hyper beam for a quick KO and snore so he won't be completely useless when sleeping =/

Mewtwo is the slayer of the bunch. Ice beam handles flying, rock, ground, grass and dragon, psychic as the main normal attack as well as a fighting and poison killer, thunderbolt to KO water, flying and backup in case of pp emergencies(15 pp instead of 10 for above moves) , along with recovery so he wont get KOed so fast himself.

Machamp to handle those dark types. Kinda unbalanced moveset though =/

Suggestions anyone?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

I hope you realize that Mewtwo is banned from the Battle Tower.

Hahahabvc87 said:
    body slam
    Shadow Ball/Earthquake
    rest
    Curse

Hyper Beam was cool in RBY. It sucked afterwards, since you'll always lose a turn even if you KOed the opponent. Also, never use more than one normal move on Snorlax. Snore sucks as well. So it hits the opponent while you sleep. Big deal, it only has 40 power and if your opponent switches in a Ghost, Steel, or Rock type, you're totally screwed.
    If you've played GSC, you would have met the famous Curselax. Curselax still wreaks havoc in Advance since it's nearly impossible to stop after a few Curses. You have to choose your second attack - whether you want Shadow Ball or Earthquake. If you choose Earthquake, you'll get screwed by Gengar. If you choose Shadow Ball, you'll get screwed by Tyranitar and Metagross. So there will always be an opponent Curselax has trouble with.
    Another option is Stalker Lax (Stalker being an abbreviation of Sleep talker).

Snorlax@leftovers
    Double-Edge
    Shadow Ball/Earthquake
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

This Snorlax can actually attack while it's sleeping, although it doesn't get any attack boosts, which it why it has Double-Edge for greater power.

ice beam
    psychic
    Calm Mind
    recover

This Mewtwo can still work in advance, but advance has an awesome move called Calm Mind which boosts your Special Attack and Special Defense. If you remember how devestating Amnesia was in RBY, well, Calm Mind is similar to that. Anyways, with a couple of CMs, Mewtwo can crush nearly anything in it's path. I suggest putting CM over Thunderbolt, since Ice Beam can handle more types of Pokemon.

3:Machamp@choice band
    cross chop
    rock clide
    Facade
    Sleep Talk

Even in RBY, Fire Punch and Strength are crappy moves for a Machamp. Also, you have the wrong item. You don't want a Focus Band, you want a Choice Band.
    Cross Chop and Rock Slide are standard. As a normal move, give it Facade, which doubles in power if your Machamp gets statused. Not only that, Machamp's Guts trait powers up its Attack, so with CB and Guts in effect, it'll have over 800+ Attack power! So you see, getting poisoned or paralyzed can actually be a good thing.
    If you put Sleep Talk on Machamp, then it can absorb Sleep status for you instead of Snorlax. Guts still works with sleep and since Choice Band only allows you to use one move, you can simply Stalk away until you wake up.
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Hahahabvc87

Needs a better dentist
    Years
  • Oh yeah I totally forgot that many uber-ranked pokemon are disallowed in the advance battle tower. Guess I'll have to start assembling a new team :)

Wait a minute, how can machamp absorb the sleep status when snorlax is the one resting?

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Let's put it this way, my friend:

Hahahabvc87 withdrew Snorlax!
    Hahahabvc87 sent out Machamp (lvl. 100 Machamp)!
    Foe Milotic used Hypnosis!
    Machamp fell Asleep!
    Milotic used Surf!
    Machamp used Sleep Talk!
    Machamp used Cross Chop!

Basically, you switch it in on something you know will put you to sleep, and Guts will boost Machamp's attack power due to it being statused.

Kataphraktoi

Prince
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    Alakazam is mini-mewtwo with the same moveset i believe.

Alakazam@leftovers
    Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Ice Punch
    Recover\Fire Punch\Thunder Punch\Taunt

Recover if you see alot of special attackers, or the punches for fast sweeping. Psychic everything and ice punch darks\psychics. Might want fire punch for steels and\or shedinja. Taunt is awesome but probably not that great with bad hp\defence.

CipherDakim12

Don't mess with this baby...
    Years
  • Hahahabvc87 said:
    This is a team which I used since my pokemon RBY days well into my pokemon crystal days. There are only 3 pokemon since I like to enter the battle tower. Can anyone give some suggestions so it will better fit the ruby/sapphire/emerald era or even further?

Return/Earthquake
    Shadow Ball
    rest
    Curse

Snorlax is messed up here. Snorlax laxs Defense so Curse could definately make up for that (while raising Attack power at the same time). Shadow Ball is needed to kick the **** out of Ghost-types. Earthquake is good for Snorlax too, or Return if you've trained your Snorlax a lot.

Calm Mind
    psychic
    thunderbolt
    recover

I admire you're ability to try and wipe out every single Pokemon, but frankly its not going to work. Calm Mind can help you get close to doing that though.

3:Machamp@focus band
    cross chop
    rock slide
    Hidden Power [Ghost]
    Bulk Up

Strength is useless and Fire Punch won't do a ****en thing with such a low Special Attack. Bulk Up builds that attack to the max and at the same raise that pathetic Defense that Machamp has, while Hidden Power [Ghost] kills those bad Ghost and Psychic-types

strategy behind them:
    Snorlax is the wall of the team. Body slam for usual attacks, rest for recovery, hyper beam for a quick KO and snore so he won't be completely useless when sleeping =/

What happens Focus Punch suprises you...

Mewtwo is the slayer of the bunch. Ice beam handles flying, rock, ground, grass and dragon, psychic as the main normal attack as well as a fighting and poison killer, thunderbolt to KO water, flying and backup in case of pp emergencies(15 pp instead of 10 for above moves) , along with recovery so he wont get KOed so fast himself.

As I said, I admire your attempt to try and be a Pokemon Master, but you probably need Calm Mind as any other Psychic-type Pokemon does.

Machamp can also handle Ghost and Psychic-types easily with a strike of Hidden Power [Ghost].

Suggestions anyone?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
  • CipherDakim12 said:

Machamp can also handle Ghost and Psychic-types easily with a strike of Hidden Power [Ghost].

Too bad he's slow as hell.
    He can at least scare away gengar..Though destiny bond/explosion or even the random psychic'n gar will do him in.

Go with the CBset AB suggested for machamp..Its a prime canidate for a status absorber [evidently]

Back