• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oldbie Newbie Faker is suddenly a Newbie Faker once more! Or simply, a Sandshrew.

Years
    Ridiculously long title, though I'm sure there's longer.

Anyway. Following the whole revealing of EX Acanthite on Serebiiforums and Cascade's puzzling signature, I have decided to become more serious with fake cards. A few months ago, I was messing around with fakes and had some varied results, but quickly dropped it since school was devouring my spare time and each card took me about 45 minutes to make. (Some examples of these cards; here, here, and here, in no specific order since I don't have them as such.) That was the first time I'd made any fakes in, goodness, maybe 3 years. And then it was just messing with the Japanese Adavance back as a newbie on Pokémon Zeo (anyone remember FlygonChampion? ...Nah, nobody would. 8D), although I think I left that forum just when EX Sandstorm blank edits were coming in.

Maybe I'd overlooked something back then, but faking seems to have come a heck of a long way, with you guys going right down to the precise pixels and (finally) the correct fonts! In some aspects, it's easier, but overall I'd say it's far more time consuming.

Anyway, if only for this summer, I'd like to have some fun with fake cards again. However, I'd like to know I'm doing it right, so I just made one fresh today to get some helpful commentary, even complete with a drawing I made around the same time I stopped faking (back when I drew good, X|). Sandshrew!

Oldbie Newbie Faker is suddenly a Newbie Faker once more! Or simply, a Sandshrew.

Followed the tutorial closely, though since I remembered most of the guidelines from when I did it a few months ago I didn't do it word for word, so it's possible I missed something. The only stuff I'm unsure of is I think the Body text is too high up, the tracking on the body/attack text might be off, as well as the font might be off on some things. I'm sure pixels are also off somewhere along the line, but that will presumably come along with practice. Currently a test set of three, and I'm going to hold off on the other two until I get some beneficial critiquing or otherwise in here.

Oh, last thing. With the serial text in the bottom left, does it honestly matter? I usually just write something in 1337 or in another language (in this one it's a combination, sort of), since I'm not even sure what they're for on the real cards, either. Is there actually any logic behind them, or is it totally random?

Lunanai

Beginning Faker
    Years
    i think it would be better to put "any resistance" instead of "a resistance".
    but, that's all I could think off.

it seems that everything is where it should be.
    i like the pic also.
    great card.

Years
    nice card, i love the artwork :)
    the card looks overall good
    i think the effects are worded wrong because they don't sound right
    Ground Pound shouldn't have 30 damage unless there is another energy so honestly it should do at least 20 damage
    and Double tackle 30 damage for 3 colorless energy more like 50 damage but then again Snadshrew is a Basic Pokemon and really Basic Pokemon's can't have more than 3 attacks. i'd say it's overpowered

Years
    Lunanai said:
    i think it would be better to put "any resistance" instead of "a resistance".
    but, that's all I could think off.

Probably true, and it makes sense what with the multiple resistances there are nowadays.

Blennix said:
    i think the effects are worded wrong because they don't sound right
    Ground Pound shouldn't have 30 damage unless there is another energy so honestly it should do at least 20 damage and Double tackle 30 damage for 3 colorless energy more like 50 damage but then again Snadshrew is a Basic Pokemon and really Basic Pokemon's can't have more than 3 attacks. i'd say it's overpowered

I think Hasty Retreat is worded fine, because I based it on those bodies that let you retreat for free if you have any Energy attached (eg EX FRLG Voltorb), and the a/any in Ground Pound was already pointed out nicely by Lunanai. You're right on ground pound-- Actually looking through the average set now, I assumed more Pokémon had resistances than they seem to, probably because normals no longer have Psychic resistance. Along with a bunch of other types losing resistance. (boo)

True with three attacks/bodies as well. If I give Ground Pound a second energy and remove Double Tackle, it'd be a regular, fair basic. I think I'll fix it up tomorrow right before I start on Growlithe.

QFred

Behold...
    Years
    Very cool card... I like the art! I prefer a thing with a central character and a BG...

As you said, the Body name is 2 pixels above the right place.

Sandshrew's overpowered. Make the first attack a 20 damage for FC. Second attack 20 damge by F or CC.

Answering to your 9-digit ID question. As a correct faker, you should put it there, but since you have no understanding about the order Nintendo uses you should get a random number. My theory for it is that, as a faker doesn't usually do the cards by the set list order, I believe the cards in Japan are first drawn, then printed then, a time after, organized in sets that will be again dismantled and reorganized on the USA.

Lunanai

Beginning Faker
    Years
    QFred said:
    As you said, the Body name is 2 pixels above the right place.
    it's 1 pixel above to be precise.
    i think that power\body name should be in a row with actual word power\body in the symbol.
    so 1 pixel down would be more precise than 2.
    if you actually care about that. :D

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
    Welcome back to faking :)

In regard to Lunanai's observation of the power/body name, its vertical placement does seem to vary on real cards, but I tend to follow that general rule. It's not necessarily true for all cards though. Otherwise, I'm pretty impressed by your overall accuracy. Keep it up!

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2006
    Good, very good, considering you've come back from a long break. Good, very good picture, considering you've come back from a long break.

Years
    Thanks for both the comments and constructive criticism. I intended to have fixed this and tried my hand at another card for a bit more by today, but I've been caught up in LeafGreen searching for shinies and the sort.

Mostly responding just so it doesn't seem like I posted once and entirely vanished. I read what you guys say and I appreciate it. :)

Back