• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

oldschool cards legal?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    No, you can't use old cards. You have to use the new Diamond and Pearl cards. I'm pretty sure the Energy doesn't matter. .​

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    You can not use older cards in modified format, which is to say, any official tournaments or events.

You're free to play unlimited format with your friends, which means you can use any other-wise legal cards (IE: no fakes, but any official set is good).

Here is the official modified list thanks to the official site; there is a sticky in the deck building forum, but it is outdated as the TCG forum lacks moderation lately.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    You're free to play unlimited format with your friends, which means you can use any other-wise legal cards (IE: no fakes, but any official set is good).

Actually, when playing against friends, it's not necessarily illegal to use fake cards.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Yes, but what you said pertained to what you've seen for your friends. It's not the only way.​

Shinobi Kai

Shinobi Kai
    Years
    i gotta agree with shinji in a game with no real consiquence where its just your friends, their is no real harm in using "fakes". its fun to mess around with rules aslong as you play it consistenly throughout the game! :D

thanx guys! :D

now all i gotta do is find me a rhyhorn and rhydon :/

:( i jus looked at the link.... :( ther are so many cool ruled out cards for the tournaments :(

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Maybe since they are reprinting so many cards, the old sets will become legal again. I personally doubt they will do this because they get more money the current way. Heck, they may end up reprinting all the cards from the older sets and have players purchase them all over again. I personally just play with friends, so I use an unlimited deck.

Shinobi Kai

Shinobi Kai
    Years
    Maybe since they are reprinting so many cards, the old sets will become legal again. I personally doubt they will do this because they get more money the current way. Heck, they may end up reprinting all the cards from the older sets and have players purchase them all over again. I personally just play with friends, so I use an unlimited deck.

ME TOO MAN H5! i noticed the only dufference between my oldschool base set 1 charizard and the latest one is the picture and card format, its even worded the same :( im miffed i cant use my old one in tournaments, but i might get 2 new ones for my unlimited deck that would make 4 charmander, 3 charmeleon, and 3 charizard.. and id take 4 luxury balls :D hehehehehehe!

unlimited decks rock! :D

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I'm not big on unlimited decks for the simple fact that there are way too many cards to choose from. XD​

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    ME TOO MAN H5! i noticed the only dufference between my oldschool base set 1 charizard and the latest one is the picture and card format, its even worded the same :( im miffed i cant use my old one in tournaments, but i might get 2 new ones for my unlimited deck that would make 4 charmander, 3 charmeleon, and 3 charizard.. and id take 4 luxury balls :D hehehehehehe!

unlimited decks rock! :D

Since old energy cards are permitted, one would think that the old cards that have been reprinted would be allowed as well since they are worded the same.

I'm not big on unlimited decks for the simple fact that there are way too many cards to choose from. XD

All the more opportunity to make a unique deck. :)

Trainer AJ

I am an hero
    Years
    I miss the good ole days when Base Set Charizard was considered the most powerful card in the game. I still have one in hard plastic casing, although he's not a 1st Ed.

Back