• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen On a Scale of 1 - 10. How hard were these pokemon games?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So, as the title suggest, how hard were the Fifth Gen. games for you overall, when you've first played them?

You can rate them on a scale: 1 being easiest, 10 being hardest, out of the whole pokemon game franchise~

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'll go with 3. they were sorta challenging, I guess if you're new to the series.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Black was a solid 6, having only new Pokemon was a challenge cause I went in blind. Black 2 was easier, up until Marlon and his effin Jellicent. The post game was especially brutal, PWT and Blacl Tower are MILES ahead of the BF in difficulty.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Hmm... I would rate them both at 6. They were fun to play but not very challenging gor me. Still both were good games and it kept me occupied for hours.

Years
  • I would say 7 for both games. They did have some challenging battles but I was still aware of a lot so the challenge wasn't as much for me at the same time.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Personally, I'd rate them as.. a 5?

They get moderately tricky if you're not prepared, but the battles are actually overall easy, imo. o:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    4 - Both fun and challenging, but wasn't very much of a challenge since first gym you got elemental monkies that weak to a monkey that 2x against your starter and Pignite would seriously whoop Herdier and Watchog pretty quick and I got lot of issue to paste it here, but too long.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    8 -Since White was my very first pokemon game, I didn't really know how the game mechanics work so I struggled with it a lot. It took me a MONTH to finally defeat the Elite Four. It was much easier to figure out after a while.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Black 2 and White 2 were a freakin beast compared to Black/White. B/W 2 are still to me the hardest Pokemon games I have ever palyed because of the section where you have to verse all of thsoe trainers, and then verse Team Plasma.

B/W - so easy a toddler could beat it (2)
    B/W 2- not as hard to make one cry, but a 5 year old's set of skills are required (6)

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • About a 3. I throughly enjoyed them, but many things about the 5th generation made the games easier. Drayden/Iris and the Elite 4 were the most of a real challenge I got from them though. B2/W2 were actually a little easier somehow.

Hiro Aku

Grand Cyndaquil Trainer
    Years
  • Postgame was hardcore, but if you have 4 pokemon as your main team in B2/W2, and battle as many as all trainers as possible, you'll get overpowered before the pokemon league. 5 would be a good answer for me.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I only played black and I thought that the E4 was a little hard but I went in unprepared so doesn't really count. Seeing as I managed to beat it a second time with a team that was disadvantaged most of the game I am going to go with a rating of 2 cause if I did the right way I think I could easily win.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    When I first played through Black, I didn't think the game was difficult at all. In fact, I remember being very disappointed as the previous games Heart Gold and Soul Silver were always challenging to me personally. That being said however, I've just looked at my save file and I can see that I used the Victini from the Liberty Pass event. That would explain it most likely.

I found Black and White 2 to be challenging at times, probably a 6. I stand by my notion that since Generation IV, Pokémon games have become easier each generation.

LexAnarchy

Lunacy at its finest.
    Years
  • Wasn't really hard, like most of the main series, until you face freaking Ghetsis. Seriously, his Hydreigon was the stuff of nightmares! I remember when he sent it out I switched into my Escavalier, thinking well that would be a piece of cake, but then out of nowhere I saw my Escavalier go down to a Fireblast. I was like uh, okay, that's bad ... I sent out Darmanitan (for some Zen Mode action) and the guy had Surf, I was like what the hell?? And it continued like that. My Bisharp and my Zweilous fell victim to his Focus blast (man the fucker ALWAYS hit) and I lost the battle. It took me quite a while to defeat him. So that's 4/10.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I ended up very underleveled when I got to Victory Road, and got burnt out as a result. Consequentially, I feel like Gen 5 was my least favorite and most challenging. I intend to go back and play it again properly, but in the mean time, I'm going to give it 7/10. When I replay it, I'll give it an objective answer of 5/10.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    the original white was one... It was basically very easy once I caught and trained my Route 4 Darumaka... When it evolved it basically trashed everything...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I remember facing appropriate challenges with numerous Gym Leaders, and having a really rough time with Marshall in particular in Black Version. I was in high school and had been playing Pokémon for about four generations by that time, so while I wasn't as "good" as I am now, I feel like I had enough experience with the series that I shouldn't have struggled if it was easy. So for BW, I'd rate them a 9 or 10. Not that they're super awfully difficult compared to other, non-Pokémon games, but I feel like I was challenged more in BW than in any other Pokémon (main-series) game overall (comparatively, I was unable to defeat Cynthia in Pearl Version for a long time, but the rest of the game didn't pose much challenge for me, and I felt Crystal had a lot of challenging moments, but maybe that's just because I started with Chikorita...).

Alternatively, I managed to get through Black Version 2 without much difficulty, and while I had a full team of six, I really only used five. They still felt appropriate, though, so I'd rate them around 6 or 7; not the hardest but certainly not the easiest the series has to offer. Although, I feel this score would be much different if I was able to select Challenge Mode from the get-go, rather than wait until I beat the game...

Granted, this is going by what I remember. It's been a while since I've played any of the games I mentioned in this post...

Back