• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen On a Scale of 1 - 10. How hard were these pokemon games?

Years
  • I'd put Black and White at a 9 in terms of difficulty. They were definitely the hardest of the main games for me. I had a hard time against just about every single Gym Leader and even the occasional Trainer. I ended up having to stop and grind entirely new teams meant solely to defeat whatever Gym Leader I was up against at the time. I somehow managed to beat the Elite Four/N/Ghetsis with no trouble at all, though.

Black 2 and White 2 were about the usual for a Pokemon game, though. The only real trouble I had was against Iris, and even then I still managed a win on my first try. I'd put those at about a 4, maybe 5.

Years
  • I'd put Black and White at a 9 in terms of difficulty. They were definitely the hardest of the main games for me. I had a hard time against just about every single Gym Leader and even the occasional Trainer. I ended up having to stop and grind entirely new teams meant solely to defeat whatever Gym Leader I was up against at the time. I somehow managed to beat the Elite Four/N/Ghetsis with no trouble at all, though.

Black 2 and White 2 were about the usual for a Pokemon game, though. The only real trouble I had was against Iris, and even then I still managed a win on my first try. I'd put those at about a 4, maybe 5.

Some Gym Leaders did add difficulty, but then we had a few easy ones. I think B2/W2 Cheren, B/W Elesa, Clay and Iris/Drayden were mainly the hard Gyms, and the Elite Four were a bit difficult, especially on B2/W2's Challenge Mode.

Even without Challenge Mode, Iris is still a tough Champion on her own, mainly because of her Focus Sash Haxorus that you'll need to tank a STAB Outrage from.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Black and White weren't the hardest games by any means, but I didn't steam roll through them either. I would give them a 6/10. I felt like the challenge was fair and good. I think that having new Pokemon and changing the exp curve added to the difficulty, and in a good way! I really enjoyed them.

I would bump up the sequels, though. Those can be relentless if you're not ready for it and then there's challenge mode. I would say 7/10. Too much water.

Years
  • I can easily see Syd's point. The games are easier than most previous installments, but there's also a fair presence of challenge as well, such as certain Gym Leaders, and also Ghetsis (he's hard in both games if you ask me). Even the Champions are ones I still think are hard (but it's expected), plus with the EXP system it can be more difficult to grind without relying on the Lucky Egg or knocking out loads of Audino.

Years
  • I'm actually having a contrasting experience to some of you guys. I'm playing through Pokémon White 2 right now and for some reason I get the feeling I'm having a harder time than in previous Pokémon games. I feel like I have to train up more just to match the levels of the gym leaders and other main characters and I feel like my Pokémon are very easily knocked out as opposed to the previous games. I also have the impression that critical strikes are landed much more frequently in these games, so much so that it caught my attention. Lastly, I picked Snivy just to change things up a bit and boy do I regret that. Not a very useful Pokémon at all, in my opinion. I would rate it a 6 or 7.

Back